Old March 7th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Transmitter inadvertantly OTA = QSL?

So - if you are listening to a station and trying to QSL them, and
they have an unscheduled shutdown, and that shutdown comprises the
bulk of the listening period - can that detail bag you a QSL? I ask
because this morning (late night local time here), R. East New Britain
(PNG) 3,385 kHz went completely OTA for a long period of time from
0808 until nearly 45 minutes later when it just as quickly came back
up. That would be a VERY easy detail to report... ?

R. Milne Bay 3,365 kHz, meanwhile, was on that entire time with
country music and lots of discussion of stuff by male program hosts.

Thanks for any insights...
Bruce
Old March 7th 11, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 12:08*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
So - if you are listening to a station and trying to QSL them, and
they have an unscheduled shutdown, and that shutdown comprises the
bulk of the listening period - can that detail bag you a QSL? *I ask
because this morning (late night local time here), R. East New Britain
(PNG) 3,385 kHz went completely OTA for a long period of time from
0808 until nearly 45 minutes later when it just as quickly came back
up. *That would be a VERY easy detail to report... ?

R. Milne Bay 3,365 kHz, meanwhile, was on that entire time with
country music and lots of discussion of stuff by male program hosts.

Thanks for any insights...
Bruce

On a very loosely related note, a strong carrier also on 90 meters
(3,340 kHz), probably a religious broadcaster from Honduras, has also
been noted every night recently. Little or no modulation, however,
detected here. Similar signal to 3,290 khz but without the strong
adjacent channel QRM.

One more - have been hearing something quite well on 4,750 kHz lately
after 0900, but language and music is stumping me. Does not *sound*
like China scheduled for that frequency - could be RRI or Bangladesh,
but impossible for me to tell. Reception of this has been startlingly
good, crisp and clear audio, good signal and CODAR not a problem.

One more - V. Mongolia 12085 Khz has not been punching through the
Arctic very well lately - weak carrier, modulation at the edge of
audibility even with R. Australia 12080 passbanded out of the way.
Not enough to even get a recording.

Bruce
Old March 7th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

So - if you are listening to a station and trying to QSL them, and
they have an unscheduled shutdown, and that shutdown comprises the
bulk of the listening period - can that detail bag you a QSL? I ask
because this morning (late night local time here), R. East New Britain
(PNG) 3,385 kHz went completely OTA for a long period of time from
0808 until nearly 45 minutes later when it just as quickly came back
up. That would be a VERY easy detail to report... ?

R. Milne Bay 3,365 kHz, meanwhile, was on that entire time with
country music and lots of discussion of stuff by male program hosts.

I always sent a detailed reception report, and most times it included a report
of the country music they played. They love country music in PNG.

Both stations QSL'd here many years ago.

20+ PNG stations QSL'd.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 7th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 1:40*pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

I agree - I always send the most detailed written report I can as
well; not doing so is cheating (in my book). However, if you what you
have is just faint muffled speech to listen to and report on, a
recording might be helpful as well. It helped on PMA The Cross - it
made the difference. Last few days, of course, 4755.4 has been MUCH
stronger, details easy.

I heard the country songs they played - not being a country song guy,
I didn't recognize a single one - all I could do was describe them.
Another place where a recording could help. Still, I only use them as
backup for the report.

Bruce
Old March 7th 11, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 7, 1:40 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

Many tunes I used to recognize, maybe even gave snippets of lyrics. These days of
course, it is so much easier to look up the snippets and find out the actual song.

Good luck in your quest to QSL the PNG's.

Old March 7th 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 7, 1:40 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

Another thought. I'm not a country song guy either, but, somehow, the lyrics I
always think up are somehow country oriented, but can be translated in other ways.

I love BMI.

My favourite tune? Ramblin' Rose performed by Nat King Cole.

Old March 7th 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 3:19*pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 7, 1:40 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

My favourite tune? Ramblin' Rose performed by Nat King Cole.- Hide quoted text -

Ramblin' Rose is a GREAT song. One of my Dad's favorites - he did not
like to sing, but he hummed this song all the time :-).

Old March 8th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 3:54*pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:19 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On Mar 7, 1:40 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

Awesome, ain't it?- Hide quoted text -

Along with much of Cole's other output, yes!
Old March 9th 11, 07:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 7, 12:08*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
So - if you are listening to a station and trying to QSL them, and
they have an unscheduled shutdown, and that shutdown comprises the
bulk of the listening period - can that detail bag you a QSL? *I ask
because this morning (late night local time here), R. East New Britain
(PNG) 3,385 kHz went completely OTA for a long period of time from
0808 until nearly 45 minutes later when it just as quickly came back
up. *That would be a VERY easy detail to report... ?

R. Milne Bay 3,365 kHz, meanwhile, was on that entire time with
country music and lots of discussion of stuff by male program hosts.

Thanks for any insights...
Bruce

Ah... The Old Double Negative QSL !

Verifying That You Did Not Heart Them When . . .
They Were NOT On-the-Air ! - brilliant ! ~ RHF