Old October 3rd 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Grundig G3 Versus Grundig G5 ?

Anyone have a preference?
Thank you,
Mike M.
Old October 3rd 11, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 3, 5:57*am, "Mike M." wrote:
Anyone *have a preference?
Thank you,
Mike M.

I have a G5 that I got on sale. As a receiver, it is fine, but I
would not describe its operation in its various modes as intuitive: I
always have to refer to the manual to get it back to the way I want
it. I bought it to be a travel radio, and it does this poorly. There
is no master power switch (like on my various Sony 7600s), so the
radio can get switched on accidentally while it is packed away. And
the roatry tuning knob is not very securely attached, so mine has
fallen off several times while packed amongst my clothes. I suppose
the G3 would have similar operational features.
Old October 3rd 11, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 3, 10:48*am, " wrote:
On Oct 3, 5:57*am, "Mike M." wrote: Anyone *have a preference?
Thank you,
Mike M.

I have a G5 that I got on sale. *As a receiver, it is fine, but I
would not describe its operation in its various modes as intuitive: *I
always have to refer to the manual to get it back to the way I want
it. *I bought it to be a travel radio, and it does this poorly. *There
is no master power switch (like on my various Sony 7600s), so the
radio can get switched on accidentally while it is packed away. *And
the roatry tuning knob is not very securely attached, so mine has
fallen off several times while packed amongst my clothes. *I suppose
the G3 would have similar operational features.

Again /thank you for your reply.
Mike
Old October 4th 11, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 3, 8:57*am, "Mike M." wrote:
Anyone *have a preference?
Thank you,
Mike M.

I own both. Though they look virtually identical, they are very
different radios. The G3 is the better radio, if you can find one
with a properly functioning sync detector. I thought I had, but
the sync detector went out after the warranty expired. Some
folks think the G5 is more sensitive,but I think that's primarily
from the louder upper limit of audio volume on the G5. Both
portables are subcompact, very sensitive, and have incredibly
low noise floors. A cheap G5 is hard to pass by... I actually own
several.

Both receivers also have a software lock button to keep them
from being accidentally turned on. Overload is possible, but
can usually be dealt with by placing sensitivity in the LOCAL
position. Eton customer service is actually pretty impressive,
as I'm currently working with them to get the G3 fixed. I also
own both the Sony 7600G and 7600GR, and I think the
operation of either Grundig is more intuitive and overall
enjoyable than the Sonys.

Mike
Louisville, KY
Old October 4th 11, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Le 03/10/2011 14:57, Mike M. a écrit :
Anyone have a preference?
Thank you,
Mike M.

Hi, I can talk about the G3.

Sensitivity is very good as selectivity. For sure one of the best
portable radio for these characteristics.

Ergonomic is OK, but I'm really missing a sound volume knob and an
antenna gain knob.

Compared to G5, the G3 has the AIR band and sync detect on AM, but is
lacking the back-lighted keyboard : if your using your radio at night in
your bed this can be helpfull. On my G3 the sync detection is so-so :
when properly engaged it is really impressive, but quickly ( 5 mn) the
sound can go distorted when the sync miss its job. That was my main
criteria for buying a G3 after three other radio : Sangean 909, Sony
SW100, Tecsun PL390. The sync detect of the SW100 is less effective at
least but works forever...

As a travel radio, I prefer the ergonomics of the Tecsun, and if you
consider the G3 without the sync detect (since it is defective on my
radio), overall performance is similar.

The G3 gets overloaded by long antennas connected to the antenna input
jack (tried reel antenna, my home antenna, ...). It's OK with AN-LP1 or
KA31 active loops. I have more success with smaller reel antenna clipped
on the whip (5m or less).

As a DX machine, I prefer the Sangean 909 with an external antenna
(random wire when traveling, fixed wire on the roof with ground in the
garden when at home).

On the G3 I have issues with the keyboard : often when pressing a key,
the function of a neighboring key is fired (ex: you press '5' and a '4'
is displayed instead...) Very annoying for a radio of that price. I send
it back for warranty service, but it came back with the same issue (just
less frequent).

So the G3 could have been a winner if there was not so many small, but
disappointing defects. Today I'm barely using it. The Sangean 909 is my
bedside radio, the Tecsun PL390 my general travel radio (when not using
the Sangean), the SW100 the tiny radio I put in my pocket when
traveling "light".

Hope this helps,

Charly

Old October 4th 11, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi again,

I forgot to mention one VERY good point on the G3 : using USB and LSB is
very comfortable compared to my other radios with this feature. Voices
heard in that mode are very natural and adjustment is easy to do.

If you listen to hams, then this can be a good criteria.

Charly