Old January 23rd 14, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DX Test Scheduled KCKM

Bob Souza, GM & Owner at KCKM 1330 Monahans, Texas has agreed to do a DX test
for us DX'ers.

Here are the details:

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
(Friday night into Saturday Morning)

The test will be be at full daytime power and pattern... 12,000 Watts Non
Directional into a 5/8th wave tower.

The test will consist mainly of morse code, sweep tones and sound effects
known to cut through the mud. There will be a few voice announcements
spread out through out the 30 minute test.

Bob prefers reports sent by email, but will accept snail mailed
submissions. If you send an email, please send MP3 attachments only, WAV
files would be too big.

Emails would be sent to

Snail mail reports can be sent with a CD or cassette cued up to the best
part of the reception. The mailing address is: PO Box 990, Monahans TX
79756.

Bob has said a verification post card will be sent. I encourage you to send
just a single stamp to help defray the cost of the postage. Bob didn't ask
for that, but I think it would be kind gesture.

If I have left anything out or anyone has questions, please email ME
directly..
I think I covered everything.

I am working on getting KGGF 690 Coffeyville, KS to do a test at its 10KW/2
tower daytime pattern.

Paul Walker
(via mwdx yahoo group)

=========================

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 24th 14, 02:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
[...]

Ah, radiosport for geezers. a 12KW AM signal from Texas is now a rare catch?

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
[...]

It is with all the crap on the air. 1330 has a digital signal (HD) over
it but a few stations punch through. WVHI Evansville is strong but can
be nuulled out with a loop.I have a a sports station in now on 1330 with
the Perseus. Waiting for propagation to change. Got a live feed of the
station in Texas available with a click to see what's on. DXing in the
digital age.....

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
[...]

Now listening to WFNN 1330 Erie, PA.Getting closer or farther as the
case may be....

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
[...]

I was checking out 690, the other frequency mentioned for a possible upcoming
test and after a bit yesterday afternoon I had WVCY in Oshkosh, WI fade up to
a very nice level for a few minutes. I guess they run 250 W daytime.

I just dabble in medium wave, and I do like trying the various tests as they
come up. I usually set the a receiver and cassette recorder to hear them.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
[...]

I get ambitious once and a while and connect my box loop to the
SDR. I built a 3 ft box loop some years ago. It works pretty well. It
just covers the AM band and part of 160 meters. At least it can null out
some stations easily.

Its pretty rough lately on AM with all the HD hash. I usually stay up in
the 1600-1700 kHz range. Picked up WPLA Dry Branch, GA on 1670 kHz
yesterday at 600 watts. Did not hear Texas on 1330 kHz but you never
know when the band will change.

Jim
(Southeast MI)

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
[...]

IBOC appears designed to reduce the number of stations a listener can
receive which is probably why the NAB liked it. Who listens to digital MW?

Date: Saturday March 22nd, 2014 from 12AM to 12:30AM Central time
[...]

Back when 1580 in Phoenix was a 50KW non-directional (critical hours) in
the early 1970s, the General Manager was a good friend of our pirate
radio organization. We put that booger on the air during the
experimental period all the time and played all kinds of pirate radio
stuff like fake commercials and bogus ids. Had a blast. 1580 is a crap
channel. 50,000W gets out like 5,000 on 600 Khz.