Old March 21st 14, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default FM radio reception at ~24MHz?

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, dxAce wrote:

My first was a Hallicrafters S-53A. And a not so long random wire. That was
shortly followed up with a Hammarlund Super Pro (Mil designation BC-794.) It
was my grandfather's amateur radio receiver. Still have it. And a not so
recently acquired S-53.

What's the S-53?

Just Google "s-53 radio" and you'll soon find out.

Except now that there was actually a thread with conversation on topic
here, I thought I'd ask. I can look it up, but I wanted to see what Peter
said.

This newsgroup really went downhill in the days of "RHF" with his
continuous spew of links to elsewhere, the only way it recovers is if
people actually talk about things relevant to shortwave here, rather than
constantly sending people elsewhere.

Michael

Old March 22nd 14, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Friday, March 21, 2014 7:35:41 PM UTC-4, Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, dxAce wrote:

My first was a Hallicrafters S-53A. And a not so long random wire. That was

shortly followed up with a Hammarlund Super Pro (Mil designation BC-794.) It

was my grandfather's amateur radio receiver. Still have it. And a not so

recently acquired S-53.

What's the S-53?

Just Google "s-53 radio" and you'll soon find out.

Except now that there was actually a thread with conversation on topic

here, I thought I'd ask. I can look it up, but I wanted to see what Peter

said.

This newsgroup really went downhill in the days of "RHF" with his

continuous spew of links to elsewhere, the only way it recovers is if

people actually talk about things relevant to shortwave here, rather than

constantly sending people elsewhere.

Michael

Somebody obviously must have sent RHF to a faraway place! He didn't make any postings in a long time.
Old March 24th 14, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/21/14 18:35 , Michael Black wrote:

My first was a Hallicrafters S-53A. And a not so long random
wire. That was shortly followed up with a Hammarlund Super Pro
(Mil designation BC-794.) It was my grandfather's amateur radio
receiver. Still have it. And a not so recently acquired S-53.

What's the S-53?

Actually it's an S-53A. 550khz-54Mhz, 8 tube, fixed BFO, Noise
limiter (such that it was), electrical bandspread, sliderule dial. Much
more than an S-38. A bit wide, but nice audio. Phono input. There was
something about hearing a Cardinals' game that was unique. Much more fun
than listening on a transistor.

It dated from 1950-58. Typical Halli construction. About the same size
as S-38. The differences between S-53 and S53A were the power
transformer and the IF cans. "A" was a 120v transformer, and minature
cans. Non-"A" models had universal power transformer, and full sized cans.

It takes either a random wire against a ground, or a ladder line with
a ground. Like the Hammarlund, it's got more sensitivity than can
actually be used, and a decent, if not exemplary noise floor, so during
the 60's and 70s, with the lower ambient noise and plethora of booming
signals, there was LOT to listen to with a simple wire.

Today, with a random wire on an Un-Un, or a shielded loop, it's
decent. But the lack of signals make things a lot less fun.

Old March 25th 14, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/24/2014 09:15 AM, D. Peter Maus wrote:
[...]

Noise limiters in 1950 were clipper diodes, same exact principle today.
Just like 1n914s on the output of your STL to keep the Overmodulation
lamp from going off.