Old March 25th 14, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default MP3 recorder

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what type of MP3 recorder you use? I know there are the
small handheld types used to record like an old tape recorder, but does
anybody use a software based, Windows O/S, for recording audio from the
radio?

VegasNightOwl

Old March 25th 14, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2014-03-25 09:22, VegasNightOwl wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what type of MP3 recorder you use? I know there are the
small handheld types used to record like an old tape recorder, but does
anybody use a software based, Windows O/S, for recording audio from the
radio?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

IIRC you'll need to install the Lame MP3 DLL separately, but it's quite
straightforward.

Last version of Audacity I installed, the MP3 encoder was included in
the install.

Old March 25th 14, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2014-03-25 09:22, VegasNightOwl wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what type of MP3 recorder you use? I know there
are the
small handheld types used to record like an old tape recorder, but does
anybody use a software based, Windows O/S, for recording audio from the
radio?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

IIRC you'll need to install the Lame MP3 DLL separately, but it's quite
straightforward.

Last version of Audacity I installed, the MP3 encoder was included in
the install.

MP3 is proprietary (Fraunhofer I think). FLAC sounds better and is free.
Memory is cheap so you can use Wave on Windows, for quality and
compatibility. Same resolution as audio CDs. Again though, .wav is
proprietary for uncompressed pcm type files.
Old March 25th 14, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2014-03-25 09:22, VegasNightOwl wrote:

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what type of MP3 recorder you use? I know there

are the

small handheld types used to record like an old tape recorder, but does

anybody use a software based, Windows O/S, for recording audio from the

radio?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

IIRC you'll need to install the Lame MP3 DLL separately, but it's quite

straightforward.

Last version of Audacity I installed, the MP3 encoder was included in

the install.

MP3 is proprietary (Fraunhofer I think). FLAC sounds better and is free.

Memory is cheap so you can use Wave on Windows, for quality and

compatibility. Same resolution as audio CDs. Again though, .wav is

proprietary for uncompressed pcm type files.

C Crane company in Fortuna, California, sell a radio with built in audio recorder. Google,,, C Crane Radios
Old March 26th 14, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

DhiaDuit wrote:

C Crane company in Fortuna ....

Many older MP3 players include a record function with an external audio input.
For example, a 3rd generation iPod touch, and some early iPhones,

Several of the no name ones I have had over the years also included it.

Geoff.

Old March 26th 14, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/26/2014 12:04 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
DhiaDuit wrote:

C Crane company in Fortuna ....

Many older MP3 players include a record function with an external audio input.
For example, a 3rd generation iPod touch, and some early iPhones,

Several of the no name ones I have had over the years also included it.

Geoff.

A solid state dictation recorder is way less than $50 when on sale.
Old March 26th 14, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

DhiaDuit wrote:

C Crane company in Fortuna ....

Many older MP3 players include a record function with an external audio input.
For example, a 3rd generation iPod touch, and some early iPhones,

Several of the no name ones I have had over the years also included it.

My Sansa Fuze can record, so above a certain level, I think they all do.
Actually, that cheap Hipstreet one I bought I think it can record off the
FM radio (but no ability to record from elsewhere).

But they tend to record as .wav's, not MP3s. That's not really a factor
since I assume the original poster just meant "record to digital" rather
than specifically MP3, and one can always transfer to a computer an
convert there. But wav's take up more space. And since electronic
storage as used in these things have a limited number of write cycles,
this isn't the thing to use for endless new recordings, then erasing.

Michael

Old March 26th 14, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

I have two solid state audio recorders I bought at Walmart years ago. An RCA and a Sony. They 'eat batteries'. Best to use rechargable batteries for those.
Old March 27th 14, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying to the posts in a faster fashion, but have been
caught up with other things. I have read them all and appreciate the
inputs.

I've used Audacity, without the Lame MP3 DLL, and was actually tyring to see
if there were any other programs available with MP3 enabled. I would like
to find a "software" type, like Audacity, and not a MP3 recorder. I like
the idea of a hand held unit, however, the ones I've looked at have only a
microphone, I'd like to find one with an input jack so I don't have to worry
about cleaner recordings and unexpected background noise, etc.

VegasNightOwl

Old March 27th 14, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/26/2014 04:56 PM, VegasNightOwl wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for not replying to the posts in a faster fashion, but have been
caught up with other things. I have read them all and appreciate the
inputs.

I've used Audacity, without the Lame MP3 DLL, and was actually tyring to see
if there were any other programs available with MP3 enabled. I would like
to find a "software" type, like Audacity, and not a MP3 recorder. I like
the idea of a hand held unit, however, the ones I've looked at have only a
microphone, I'd like to find one with an input jack so I don't have to worry
about cleaner recordings and unexpected background noise, etc.

VegasNightOwl

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...-Scanrec.shtml

http://www.policescannerblog.com/201...-software.html

http://www.dxzone.com/tag-scanner-recorder/

Another MP3 recorder [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 16th 08 01:09 AM
911 RECORDER'S F/S Jerry Swap 1 June 5th 04 04:52 AM
Scanner recorder want to find the scanner recorder softwhere-Name & where to find-please grateful Scanner 0 April 5th 04 08:03 PM
WTB: DVS-2 Voice Recorder B.Peter Treml-K8PT Swap 0 February 4th 04 01:38 AM
Recorder Chuck Swap 0 October 18th 03 06:21 PM