Old September 14th 14, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 9/11

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:06:44 PM UTC-5, DhiaDuit wrote:
On Saturday, September 13, 2014 1:02:42 PM UTC-5, dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

On 9/12/2014 5:52 PM, DhiaDuit wrote:

Arthur Godfrey used to do his Tee Vee entertainment show wayyyy out

there on the end of that San Francisco Pier. Then he moved to Hawaii.

Hawaiian shirt and a Hawaiian flower thingy (///Luau, WOOF!///)

around his neck and that little Ukelele. Instead of saying Hello

Hello Hello, he would say, Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii. I used to watch him

on Tee Vee, wayyyyyyyy back then. He was in the U.S. Air Force too.

...and he was a ham radio operator, W4LIB.

Seems to me I recall hearing him when he was in Florida perhaps, though I

think his call might have been K4LIB.

Seems to me, trying to recall, perhaps it was also him who had two R-71

receivers, or R-70's, tuned to various maritime communications. Or maybe it

was another celebrity.

Maybe someone else remembers.

Another f... b........ jimstonefreelance.com

Iraqi Christian: www.libertypost.org
Old September 16th 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

On 9/12/2014 5:52 PM, DhiaDuit wrote:

Arthur Godfrey used to do his Tee Vee entertainment show wayyyy out
there on the end of that San Francisco Pier. Then he moved to Hawaii.
Hawaiian shirt and a Hawaiian flower thingy (///Luau, WOOF!///)
around his neck and that little Ukelele. Instead of saying Hello
Hello Hello, he would say, Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii. I used to watch him
on Tee Vee, wayyyyyyyy back then. He was in the U.S. Air Force too.

...and he was a ham radio operator, W4LIB.

Seems to me I recall hearing him when he was in Florida perhaps, though I
think his call might have been K4LIB.

Seems to me, trying to recall, perhaps it was also him who had two R-71
receivers, or R-70's, tuned to various maritime communications. Or maybe it
was another celebrity.

Maybe someone else remembers.

It might have been Jackie Gleason. (Whichever one lived in Florida).
Dredging back in the memory, it's from an article in Monitoring Times
from a guy who owned a radio store there. (I also remember it coming
up on one of the daytime talk shows during the '60s or '70s like Merv
Griffith or Dick Cavett)?

Probably listening into phone calls from cruise ships. They were full
duplex, so you needed two receivers to hear both sides. Are there any
HF voice marine shore stations left?

Mark Zenier

Old September 16th 14, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, September 15, 2014 6:09:40 PM UTC-5, Mark Zenier wrote:
In article ,

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

[...]

Did a Google for, HF Voice Marine Shore Stations in America
Old September 16th 14, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mark Zenier wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

[...]

Yep, I believe it was Jackie Gleason. I also kind of remember that magazine
article.

Old September 16th 14, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:07:22 PM UTC-5, dxAce wrote:
Mark Zenier wrote:

In article ,

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

[...]

Google,,, Jackie Gleason and his Shortwave Radios He was 'The Great One'

Old September 17th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Mark Zenier wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure. I think most if not all of that migrated to satellite.

It sure was interesting back in the day though!

Mark Zenier

Old September 17th 14, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:13:47 PM UTC-5, dxAce wrote:
dxAce wrote:

Mark Zenier wrote:

In article ,

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

[...]

Yeah, interesting. When I was born on November 5, 1941, it was so ruff World War Two started a month and two days later. Google,,, Found any Pearls lately?