Old November 25th 14, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Successful indoor antenna at last - I think

Hey folks,

Thought I'd share the results of some recent successful indoor antenna experiments. I wanted something to take on the road and also use when an outdoor antenna isn't convenient or practical.

I'll preface by saying I've played with various active and passive antennas over a period of years and discovered that very few improved the signal to noise ratio of signals and so I've always given up and gone with an outdoor antenna. This means travel = no shortwave

But, Success. If I thought there was a way to monetize this I'd build and sell it, but instead I'll share it with you guys for free.

Quick summary: it's a loop.

Longer summary: It's a physically big-ish (sort of dominates a small room) but electrically "larger sized small" indoor loop with a transformer coupling

Details: 25 feet of copper hookup wire with the ends soldered to the secondary terminals of a mini-circuits T9-1 transformer (used because I have them in a junk box. The ratio is probably far from optimum but it works well -- it was chosen because it's what I had.) I cut the wire in half and joined the ends electrically at the center to experiment with both closed-loop and sorta-dipole configurations. (Short answer: closed loop works better, often much better, most of the time.) Also, if you travel with it it WILL get tangled, so being able to separate and untangle the ends is important.)

The secondary (with the dot) goes to a mono 1/8" plug to the portable radio's antenna input. It doesn't seem to matter in theory or practice which terminal goes to tip and which to ground. I used a twisted pair of regular wire to the radio but in theory a shielded cable would be more appropriate.)

Hang antenna with two supports to form a big triangle. This part can require some creativity. I have wooden shelving which serves brilliantly for this purpose.

Mechanically this antenna is a mess. You'd want to build a box for the transformer and a plug for the cable to the radio. That's next and I leave the mechanical details to you.

The point is it's simple, uses no batteries, requires no tuning, can be packed easily, and seems to outperform an end-fed wire every single time in the test environment I tried it.

Some notes:

Noise pickup is reduced -- which is the hardest part! Signal strength is more often than not higher when the antenna is a loop than when the center wire is disconnected in the same physical layout. Even when it's not stronger, the noise level is better in the closed-loop configuration. So far.

WIthout the transformer, many radios I've tried will overload badly due to broadcast band overload well into the 60 meter band. The transformer also may help reduce noise transfer, though the results were so poor without it for other reasons I didn't bother doing any further testing. I think some kind of magnetic coupling (ratio may be relatively unimportant) is an essential part of why this works, but I'm really not sure of the reasons. Point is, the transformer is apparently an important part of success.

Signal strength does not appear to be particularly affected by antenna orientation. Probably the mix of horizontal, vertical, and diagonal wire is helping reduce polarization fading.

You could wind your own transformer with a toroidal core. The winding ratio is probably not so important although a step-down configuration may be better if you're trying to match a coaxial cable.
The only thing is you want to be sure the transformer passes 3-30 Mhz range.. The mini-circuits part does that, but surely that isn't a hard thing to accomplish.

If anyone feels like fiddling with this "transformer coupled medium-sized indoor loop" they are welcome. I can't guarantee results in the general case but it's the best thing I've tried so far by a big margin as far as pulling real signals out of the indoor noise soup.

I finally caught CKZU on 6150 with this which was simply impossible before in the noise soup of this condominium.

Cheers and hope all are having or planning to have a great Turkey Day

-- ross

Old November 25th 14, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:05:38 AM UTC-8, Ross Archer wrote:
[...]

Also, the configuration doesn't seem to matter much. Triangle/delta, rectangular, whatever. It seems amazingly unaffected, even if some of the wire is lying on the floor. Use whatever supports you can find and don't be afraid to experiment. I got great results with a "delta" shaped loop that almost didn't reach the listening position, so it was diagonal and took up half the room. Children and pets keep out!

My working theory is it's responding primarily to the magnetic component of the incoming signals. At 31 meters, a 25 foot loop is well above the technical definition of a small loop (1/10th wavelength) but is still way under the length of a resonant loop, so that's why I'm calling it a medium-sized loop.

Old November 26th 14, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/25/2014 2:05 PM, Ross Archer wrote:
Hey folks,

Thought I'd share the results of some recent successful indoor
antenna experiments. I wanted something to take on the road and
also use when an outdoor antenna isn't convenient or practical.

[...]

Sounds very good. I imagine it would really improve hotel-room
reception over the whip built in to my Eton E1.

Thanks,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
Old November 26th 14, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:44:35 PM UTC-8, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
On 11/25/2014 2:05 PM, Ross Archer wrote:
Hey folks,

Thought I'd share the results of some recent successful indoor
antenna experiments. I wanted something to take on the road and
also use when an outdoor antenna isn't convenient or practical.

[...]

Sounds very good. I imagine it would really improve hotel-room
reception over the whip built in to my Eton E1.

Thanks,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

It's interesting when you break the loop circuit (switch located halfway between the ends of the loop) how the signal sometimes goes up (though more often it goes down) but the noise nearly always increases.

There's definitely something about the loop configuration that is rejecting electrical noise.

Old November 26th 14, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/25/2014 2:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

Ross. Sounds like a lot of trouble to me. Myself; about the last 10
or 12 years, I have used a Wellbrooke loop here- inside. When I ordered
my first loop from Andy, I just hung it from a ceiling fan in the small
bedroom I use for my radio storage. And, waiting for the weather to
break, before it would go outside, I had to try it. Well, this loop
is still hanging in that room. A short run of coax to my listening
post here. Works great. 2 other Wellbrooks are out the end of my back
yard, and they work great. But, ya can't beat a good loop inside.
And easy to hide, no wire taped around a window or around the
corner of a room. Yes, i tried all those too. BTW, another good
set-up is a Par- EF-SWL antenna. This is a super short wire, about
45 ft I believe, and fairly quiet inside. I travel with one of these
with my quick set-up. I was told Par sold the operation, so I have
no idea what the antennas are like now. But I recommend Randy, at
Bigapple59 on ebay; he has a few of the real Par antenna.

And, it's 12:00u/ about 7 am here and snowing. So, best of the
Holidays to all you guys. Be careful out there.

Drifter...

Old November 26th 14, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:19:24 AM UTC-8, Drifter wrote:
On 11/25/2014 2:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't want to risk damaging a Wellbrook loop for travel, but yeah that's an excellent antenna by all accounts.
Old November 26th 14, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:48:19 AM UTC-8, Charly wrote:
Le 26/11/2014 00:57, a écrit :
On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:44:35 PM UTC-8, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
On 11/25/2014 2:05 PM, Ross Archer wrote:
Hey folks,

Thought I'd share the results of some recent successful indoor
antenna experiments. I wanted something to take on the road and
also use when an outdoor antenna isn't convenient or practical.
[...]

Sounds very good. I imagine it would really improve hotel-room
reception over the whip built in to my Eton E1.

Thanks,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

It's interesting when you break the loop circuit (switch located halfway between the ends of the loop) how the signal sometimes goes up (though more often it goes down) but the noise nearly always increases.

There's definitely something about the loop configuration that is rejecting electrical noise.

Hello Ross,

It would be interesting to test it against some commercial products such
as the Sony AN-LP1 loop antenna, Tecsun DE31/Kaito KA31, or the
Wellbrooke used by Drifter (certainly not in the same category).

Can you have this opportunity ?

Good SWL,

Charly

I do have a Sony SW7600G so if I came across an(other) AN-LP1 I could pair them up and try the pair against it. Not in my immediate plans as they're a bit hard to find and not that versatile if I recall -- being tied to Sony radios if memory serves.

I recall trying a KA31 or earlier incarnation and being singularly unimpressed. Lost that, an AN-LP1 and a ton of other equipment, in a storage unit robbery years back, and haven't replaced any of it.

The KA31 is cheap enough I think it's well worth buying just for comparison. Thanks for the idea.

-- ross
Old November 26th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Le 26/11/2014 00:57, a écrit :
[...]

My goal for this "product" is to beat the signal-to-noise performance of any feasible end-fed indoor wire antenna. Next up I'm thinking of a small amplified loop for travel but this one is intended as a substitute for the generally mediocre end-fed wire to whip or antenna jack solution that mostly just boosts noise along with signal. The kind of thing you can throw in a suitcase and if it breaks or gets lost you won't cry. Try that with a Wellbrook loop.

I'm now logging signals on a recent listening test I have never before received with any *indoor* antenna. All India Radio on 9870 (1414), CKZU on 6160 Khz (1423), VOIR Iran on 9800 with strong signal on 1442, and R. Romania Int'l in Russian on 11985 (1453) - tentative ID for that one. I am relatively certain this antenna delivers plenty of signal and at least in the environments I've tried it so far, noise is definitely lower.

TI has some interesting differential video amplifiers that might make a good small travel loop that could be made cheaply. If I start fiddling with this, that's when I'd get a KA31 for comparison.

-- ross

Old November 26th 14, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/25/2014 2:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips. I had an AL1530 outdoors and it suffered two deaths. The first is when I selected the wrong antenna with a Kenwood TS-570D connected and transmitted into the Wellbrook and fried the antenna. Apparently it's not designed for 100 watts at 40 meters.... this was a very sad day.

The second was when it was in storage awaiting me getting around to repairing it or getting it repaired, it was stolen along with everything else of value in the unit.

I've already thought about Christmas coming and a new Wellbrook loop, this time to be used only with receive-only gear.

-- ross

Need indoor am antenna... Waldo Lydecker Shortwave 19 April 29th 08 08:15 PM
Indoor Antenna Terry M. Shortwave 9 November 10th 07 09:07 AM
Indoor antenna for 220 MHz? Richard Lane Antenna 1 May 19th 05 09:01 AM
What indoor antenna do you use? [email protected] Shortwave 16 January 31st 05 02:26 PM
Indoor antenna BruceB1836 CB 7 September 2nd 03 09:39 PM