Old June 25th 16, 08:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Disappearance of Short Wave Time Signals at 5, 10, 15, 20kHz

wrote:

analogdial wrote: "Have you tried tuning in CHU? "

Oh yeah, 33.3mHz. I'm concerned about latency issues
and use them only as a backup. I don't know if they are
just a repeater for the American time sources.

Any sort of time delay won't be an issue with a manual set clock. A
signal from either CHU or WWV will take but a small fraction of a
second. Maybe .02 seconds, or less. If you can set your clocks to the
top of the minute at 59.98 seconds, go for it.

CHU and WWV are independant and quite accurate. Whichever is received
well works well.

Something else I was thinking about the last couple
days that gave me pause: If the noise floor has gone up
so much lately for world band, then how come it is only
these time signals that I can't pull in as readily as I used
to years ago?

Dunno. Seems to be on your end.

If you just want an accurate clock, you might consider a so-called
"atomic clock". They aren't actually atomic clocks, although they are
clocks synced to the NIST atomic clock through WWVB. I have one which
is quite portable, smaller than most SW radios. it sets itself, resets
itself, automatically corrects for DST and has a highly accurate second
counter.

If you have a GPS device, it displays highly accurate time. Cellphone
time should be more than accurate enough for manually adjusted clocks.
Old June 25th 16, 12:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

analogdial wrote: "Dunno. Seems to be on your end. "

Yeah... of the country. I'm on the
East coast. Propogation not so swell
out here. But stilll, that doesn't
explain why the signals don't come
in like they used to, while I still get
other programming between 2.5 and
30 mHz. (That's what written on my
RADIO DIAL - don't know if it's correct)
Old January 8th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Something I never thought of: Most of these
official time transmitters are west of the
Mississippi. I live on the east coast. No
frickn wonder!

Dear NIST: provide us east
coasters with better shortwave reception of
these signals!!

Old January 9th 17, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe from Kokomo wrote: "Never (unless there was an actual radio blackout) had any trouble
hearing them here in the great midwest. What kind of antenna/receiver
are you using? "

Big difference between Indiana and the northeast coast! We're
practically at opposite ends of the country from Ft. Collins CO.

So increased RFI is only part of the issue: Shortwave time
transmissions reach only the western 2/3 of the lower 48 states!