Old October 1st 16, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.info

Default Shortwave Radio - Google News for Saturday 1 October 2016

Shortwave Radio - Google News

Aliens probably look even weirder than we think - Quartz

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...than-we-think/

Quartz
Aliens probably look even weirder than we think
Quartz
The two scientists further posited that such aliens would have “established
a channel of communication that would one day become known to us.” Such
alien signals would most likely take the form of shortwave radio, which is
ubiquitous through the ...

Last living Doolittle Raider recalls America's revenge attack - CNN

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...ell-dick-cole/

CNN
Last living Doolittle Raider recalls Americas revenge attack
CNN
Soon, all 15 remaining planes followed. The grueling mission had begun. "I
remember thinking we had just separated ourselves from civilization," Cole
said. "The range of our short-wave radio was only about 45 miles and we
were going to be more than 45 ...

and more

A Brief History of the Microwave Oven - IEEE Spectrum

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...microwave-oven

IEEE Spectrum
A Brief History of the Microwave Oven
IEEE Spectrum
Indeed, at the 1933 Worlds Fair in Chicago, Westinghouse demonstrated a
10-kilowatt shortwave radio transmitter that cooked steaks and potatoes
between two metal plates. But nothing came of these culinary adventures.
Raytheon engineer Percy Spencer ...

Tim Moo I cycled 10000km along the Iron Curtain on a 50 bike -
Telegraph.co.uk

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...-on-a-50-bike/

Telegraph.co.uk
Tim Moo I cycled 10000km along the Iron Curtain on a £50 bike
Telegraph.co.uk
When the writer Tim Moore heard of a new bike trail tracking the old Iron
Curtain, he found himself recklessly inspired. To a child of the Cold War
who had spent his boyhood twiddling through eerie Soviet signals on a
short-wave radio, the freedom to ...

Old October 1st 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Google News via rec.radio.info Admin wrote:

Shortwave Radio - Google News

Aliens probably look even weirder than we think - Quartz

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...than-we-think/

Quartz
Aliens probably look even weirder than we think
Quartz
The two scientists further posited that such aliens would have established
a channel of communication that would one day become known to us. Such
alien signals would most likely take the form of shortwave radio, which is
ubiquitous through the ...

They should at least try to keep up. Herman Munster talked to Martians
with his ham radio 50 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqM1xeseX98
Old October 2nd 16, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016, analogdial wrote:

Google News via rec.radio.info Admin wrote:

Shortwave Radio - Google News

Aliens probably look even weirder than we think - Quartz

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...than-we-think/

Quartz
Aliens probably look even weirder than we think
Quartz
The two scientists further posited that such aliens would have established
a channel of communication that would one day become known to us. Such
alien signals would most likely take the form of shortwave radio, which is
ubiquitous through the ...

They should at least try to keep up. Herman Munster talked to Martians
with his ham radio 50 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqM1xeseX98

But he didn't win an award.

There's actually a cup waiting, has been since the twenties or thirties,
for the first ham to contact mars. I guess it was mostly a joke, on the
other hand back then Mars wsa big in the news, all those canals. And radio
was still developing, going for greater and greater distances, so why not
set ones sights on another planet?

I'm not sure of the exact rules, though.

Michael

Old October 2nd 16, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael Black wrote:

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016, analogdial wrote:

They should at least try to keep up. Herman Munster talked to Martians
with his ham radio 50 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqM1xeseX98

But he didn't win an award.

There's actually a cup waiting, has been since the twenties or thirties,
for the first ham to contact mars. I guess it was mostly a joke, on the
other hand back then Mars wsa big in the news, all those canals. And radio
was still developing, going for greater and greater distances, so why not
set ones sights on another planet?

I'm not sure of the exact rules, though.

Michael

Disqualified on a technicality. Herman Munster didn't contact Martians
on Mars, but Martians in a spaceship near Earth.

Old October 2nd 16, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/10/16 15:23, analogdial wrote:
Michael Black wrote:

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016, analogdial wrote:

They should at least try to keep up. Herman Munster talked to Martians
with his ham radio 50 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqM1xeseX98

But he didn't win an award.

There's actually a cup waiting, has been since the twenties or thirties,
for the first ham to contact mars. I guess it was mostly a joke, on the
other hand back then Mars wsa big in the news, all those canals. And radio
was still developing, going for greater and greater distances, so why not
set ones sights on another planet?

I'm not sure of the exact rules, though.

Disqualified on a technicality. Herman Munster didn't contact Martians
on Mars, but Martians in a spaceship near Earth.

From 2011: "Amateur radio enthusiasts using a restored dish antenna in
Germany say they have successfully picked up telemetry from NASA's Mars
Science Laboratory spacecraft, now outward bound for Mars [...]"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...osity_signals/

And 2014: "James Miller, G3RUH, was among a small handful of Amateur
Radio operators to receive the X band signal January 21 from the
European Space Agencys Rosetta spacecraft, some 500 million miles from
Earth. Miller used the 20 meter dish at the Bochum Amateur Radio
facility in Germany, run by AMSAT-DL and IUZ Bochum Observatory. In an
AMSAT-BB post, Miller noted the frequency at the spacecraft was
8421.786900 MHz, and the signal was 14 dB below that of the STEREO A/B
spacecraft. Perhaps more astonishing, Bertrand Pinel, F5PL, was able to
track Rosetta 65 kilometers from Toulouse using his home-rigged 3.5
meter dish and receiver. Viljo Allik, ES5PC, a member of Estonian
Student Satellite Program team reported his group was able to detect the
satellites signal using a slightly smaller dish."

http://www.arrl.org/news/radio-amate...rom-deep-space

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/01...etta-tracking/

Old October 2nd 16, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael Black wrote:

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016, analogdial wrote:

They should at least try to keep up. Herman Munster talked to Martians
with his ham radio 50 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqM1xeseX98

But he didn't win an award.

There's actually a cup waiting, has been since the twenties or thirties,
for the first ham to contact mars. I guess it was mostly a joke, on the
other hand back then Mars wsa big in the news, all those canals. And radio
was still developing, going for greater and greater distances, so why not
set ones sights on another planet?

I'm not sure of the exact rules, though.

Disqualified on a technicality. Herman Munster didn't contact Martians
on Mars, but Martians in a spaceship near Earth.

From 2011: "Amateur radio enthusiasts using a restored dish antenna in
[...]

But for the purposes of most or all amateur radio contests and
certificates, the contacts have to be two way. Otherwise, it would be an
SWL contest.

There was talk, and it actually seemed to have some substance, of sending
a amateur radio package to the moon on one of the later manned flights.
Someone found empty space in the lunar crawler, so they were working on a
repeater to fit in there. The guy died, so the project died, but it
looked like they actually had some encouragement from NASA.

Some hams wanted to put amateur radio into Skylab and effort was put into
that, but it was denied, I can't remember the reasons.

Michael