Old July 29th 18, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Is Degen still a good buy?

Are the Degen/Kaito DE1103/KA1103 radios still a good buy?

I recall paying near $100 for them a few years back and they are being sold for considerably less than that now.

Are there other similar radios I should be looking at?

thanks
Bob
N9NEO
Old July 29th 18, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 21:15:19 -0700, N9NEO wrote:

+AD4 Are the Degen/Kaito DE1103/KA1103 radios still a good buy?
+AD4
+AD4 I recall paying near +ACQ-100 for them a few years back and they are being
+AD4 sold for considerably less than that now.
+AD4
+AD4 Are there other similar radios I should be looking at?
+AD4
+AD4 thanks Bob N9NEO

Seems Degen changed the 1103 to DSP a few years ago, without changing the name to something like DE1103DSP or DE1103A. I got a early model DE1103 in 2006. It's a good performer and I thought it was a decent value at the time although I never quite got used to the ergonomics and I think the +ACI-analog+ACI display is a waste of space. I don't have any direct expirence with the DSP version but it's getting mixed reviews online. If I recall correctly, the non-DSP versions were getting knocked for quality issues starting around 2010 or so.

I know that if I was looking for a small portable radio again, I'd seriously consider the competitors to the DE1103.

DSP has gotten very inexpensive over the last decade and it's even showing up in bargain basement radios, such as this HAPPY RADIO:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Dis...AD0-m570.l1313

The radio of choice for both Radio Nederland's Eddie Startz and legendary soul singer Edwin Starr+ACEAIQ Or not.
Old July 30th 18, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, Frank wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 21:15:19 -0700, N9NEO wrote:

Are the Degen/Kaito DE1103/KA1103 radios still a good buy?

I recall paying near $100 for them a few years back and they are being
sold for considerably less than that now.

Are there other similar radios I should be looking at?

thanks Bob N9NEO

Seems Degen changed the 1103 to DSP a few years ago, without changing
the name to something like DE1103DSP or DE1103A. I got a early model
DE1103 in 2006. It's a good performer and I thought it was a decent
value at the time although I never quite got used to the ergonomics and
I think the "analog" display is a waste of space. I don't have any
direct expirence with the DSP version but it's getting mixed reviews
online. If I recall correctly, the non-DSP versions were getting
knocked for quality issues starting around 2010 or so.

Of course, it's not likely they simply added DSP, likely they moved to an
IC that did it all, in which case it can't be anything but a very
different radio. DSP allows for some great specs, but the ICs floating
around seem to be for lwo cost rather than "great specs". Whatever the IC
in the Grundig G8, it has like one tuned circuit at the antenna, and
unless the rest is really good at strong signal handling, it's not going
to compare with something that uses more filtering at the antenna. Low
cost often means trade-offs, and this might mean you get a radio with
selectable selectivity that can be quite good spec wise, but a receiver
that overloads too easily, so the overall receiver isn't that different
from the usual low end receivers of the past.

For low end receivers, the DSP receiver in one IC is probably a step up,
but that doesn't mean they'll compare well to a more expensive receiver
using traditional methods.

Michael
Old July 30th 18, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 00:54:21 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

+AD4 For low end receivers, the DSP receiver in one IC is probably a step up,
+AD4 but that doesn't mean they'll compare well to a more expensive receiver
+AD4 using traditional methods.
+AD4
+AD4 Michael

I'm thinking an inexpensive DSP radio, tuned to 455 kc, might be the Q5er
of the 21st Century.
Old July 31st 18, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

So if I were to spend say 2x what the Degen would run or say less than $200 - what would be a good buy for a portable? AM/FM/SW

Old July 31st 18, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:04:12 -0700, N9NEO wrote:

+AD4 So if I were to spend say 2x what the Degen would run or say less than
+AD4 +ACQ-200 - what would be a good buy for a portable? AM/FM/SW

I can't give a solid recommendation based on personal experience. I do
know the DE1103 isn't the same radio it was and the reports that they
started cheapening it up years ago are credible.

I think the reports from the WRTH are generally trustworthy. My newest
WRTH is the 2014 edition. Unfortunately, that edition doesn't have
detailed reports on portables, just a summary chart with prices and star
ratings.

In 2014, the DE1103 was the lowest ranked of 11 portables at two stars.
The Tecsun PL 310 and PL 380 were the highest ranked at four stars.
Old August 1st 18, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018, Frank wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 00:54:21 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

For low end receivers, the DSP receiver in one IC is probably a step up,
but that doesn't mean they'll compare well to a more expensive receiver
using traditional methods.

Michael

I'm thinking an inexpensive DSP radio, tuned to 455 kc, might be the Q5er
of the 21st Century.

Yes. And other than the BC-453, there haven't been a lot of small
receivers that tune the LF band except more recent portables.

Though, make sure the portable you use allows for variable selection, and
not all of them have a BFO, so no SSB/CW and no synchronous detection.

Michael