Old August 26th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WWVB eliminated, too?

On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 11:54:58 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 11:52:05 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

I don't think that's going to work.

I found a small book at a used book sale a few years ago, maybe titled
"Chronograph". It was about the need time in order to navigate. One of
them, longitude or latitude, required accurate time, and ships didn't
have that. Hence an effort to create a very accurate clock, which was
also portable.

WWV meant you didn't need that accurate clock, just a shortwave radio to
let you know when to check the stars or sun.

Michael

According to my first WRTH, the US Naval station, NSS, was supposed to be
broadcasting time signals. My morse skills were, and are, nonexistent
but I was able to ID NSS. Didn't hear anything which sounded like any
signals which coordinated with WWV. Might have been obsolete info by
then.

WWV used to be coordinated with the US Naval Observatory in Annapolis.
Atomic clocks got better than observatories and that was that for that.

www.ancient.eu/Timekeeping ...There is a great big ancient Sundial in India. Earth is gradually slowing down so that great big ancient Sundial in India is now about two seconds slow.
Old August 26th 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , Frank writes:

Their clocks haven't run right since Ailes left. Or Kelly, although they
were no longer off by entire days after that.

Old August 26th 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , Frank writes:
The TRUMP administration's planned elimination of WWV/WWVH
popped up on NPR's Weekend Edition. Scott Simon interviewed Tom

I heard it the day before - on their (actually America Public Media's)
"Money" program, I think.

Witherspoon of the SWLing Post. Witherspoon said, as the bill is
written, ALL of the time stations are scheduled to be gone. A
spokesman for clockmaker LaCrosse said he believed that Congress
would not pass a bill which killed the time sync for 50 million clocks.

"Clockmaker" LaCrosse is actually across the river in LaCrescent, MN.
Both about 90 miles from here.

Two guesses where their clocks are made.

That said, I own two of them and just yesterday was about to buy
another one. I bought a shortwave radio instead - have to keep
my priorities straight!

George
Old August 26th 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Two guesses, One guess, China. ... www.strategic-culture.org asm. Wargasms with Russia?
Old August 27th 18, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 14:58:00 -0400, George Cornelius wrote:

+AD4 +ACI-Clockmaker+ACI LaCrosse is actually across the river in LaCrescent, MN.
+AD4 Both about 90 miles from here.

I have a couple of their clocks. Actually, one is branded something like
+ACI-Bartalo+ACI but it's a Lacrosse product. I got the Bartalo clock at the
Aldi store about 10 years ago. It's analog and about 12+ACI across. The
hour hand is hard geared to the minute hand and the minute hand has to
circle around when it's time to +ACI-spring forward+ACI. It doesn't go
backwards, so the minute hand has to circle 11 times when it's time to
+ACI-fall back+ACI.

I don't think either of my WWVB controlled clocks can be set without a
proper radio signal.

The inclusion of WWVB with WWV and WWVH might end up preserving the whole
time broadcasting thing for the time being.

If CW is eliminated. Slow Code General 5 December 1st 06 06:49 PM
If CW is eliminated. Slow Code Antenna 8 December 1st 06 06:49 PM
If CW is eliminated. Slow Code Swap 3 December 1st 06 06:49 PM
If CW is eliminated. Slow Code Policy 2 November 23rd 06 10:20 AM
VOA to be eliminated? running dogg Shortwave 12 February 27th 06 06:55 AM