Old July 27th 03, 11:52 AM
N8KDV

Default clandestine ?

yazoo63 wrote:

Hearing a possible clandestine station around 4417.5 khz. Hearing the
carrier, but cant detect any audio due to
static in my area. Hearing a jamming signal on same freq, so have to assume
there's a clandestine there.

Why would you assume that simply based upon hearing a carrier?

Anybody have any info on this ?

Barry N4IJN

Old July 27th 03, 12:32 PM
N8KDV

yazoo63 wrote:

Hearing a possible clandestine station around 4417.5 khz. Hearing the
carrier, but cant detect any audio due to
static in my area. Hearing a jamming signal on same freq, so have to assume
there's a clandestine there.
Anybody have any info on this ?

Barry N4IJN

The Voice of the People of Kurdistan (clandestine) operates by some accounts
from 0200-0500 on 4417. However, based upon the frequency and time, it's not
very likely that it will propagate over here. It's already daylight there, and
the sunrise terminator is into western africa at that time.

Steve
Holland, MI

Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old July 27th 03, 03:16 PM
RedOctober90

N8KDV wrote in message ...
yazoo63 wrote:

Hearing a possible clandestine station around 4417.5 khz. Hearing the
carrier, but cant detect any audio due to
static in my area. Hearing a jamming signal on same freq, so have to assume
there's a clandestine there.

Why would you assume that simply based upon hearing a carrier?

Anybody have any info on this ?

Barry N4IJN

Sorry N8KDV... that it's not about politics and Bill Clinton.

Yes Yazoo, it's hard to ID something that is simply a blank carrier.
Old July 27th 03, 07:24 PM
N8KDV

RedOctober90 wrote:

N8KDV wrote in message ...
yazoo63 wrote:

Hearing a possible clandestine station around 4417.5 khz. Hearing the
carrier, but cant detect any audio due to
static in my area. Hearing a jamming signal on same freq, so have to assume
there's a clandestine there.

Why would you assume that simply based upon hearing a carrier?

Anybody have any info on this ?

Barry N4IJN

Sorry N8KDV... that it's not about politics and Bill Clinton.

OK, whiner....

Yes Yazoo, it's hard to ID something that is simply a blank carrier.

Old July 28th 03, 12:27 AM
yazoo63

I never said there was a clandestine station there. I said there was a
POSSIBILITY that there was one there, based on
the fact that i heard a carrier and it was being jammed. Logic would
dictate that nobody would bother to jam a carrier unless something was being
broadcasted on that carrier that they didn't want others to hear. All i
was doing was soliciting ideas from others to see if it is possible that
there was (or had been) clandestine activity on that freq in the past. And
as it turns out,
there had been.

Thats all there was to my original post. Dont try to read too much into it.

Have a nice day

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Old July 28th 03, 02:27 AM
N8KDV

yazoo63 wrote:

I never said there was a clandestine station there. I said there was a
POSSIBILITY

Well, you also did say "so have to assume"...

that there was one there, based on
the fact that i heard a carrier and it was being jammed.

Are you really sure it was being jammed? Or was it possibly just another utility
signal?

Logic would
dictate that nobody would bother to jam a carrier unless something was being
broadcasted on that carrier that they didn't want others to hear. All i
was doing was soliciting ideas from others to see if it is possible that
there was (or had been) clandestine activity on that freq in the past. And
as it turns out,
there had been.

Thats all there was to my original post. Dont try to read too much into it.

I didn't... I just read what you wrote...

Have a nice day

I will/and have. I suggest you try to not get so worked up...

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Old July 28th 03, 03:03 AM
N8KDV

yazoo63 wrote:

I never said there was a clandestine station there. I said there was a
POSSIBILITY that there was one there, based on
the fact that i heard a carrier and it was being jammed.

Logic would
dictate that nobody would bother to jam a carrier unless something was being
broadcasted on that carrier that they didn't want others to hear.

Not necessarily. It's always a possibility that what you might consider
'jamming' is only a utility station innocently near the frequency. There is a
difference between intentional 'jamming' and QRM.

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Old July 28th 03, 03:40 AM
RedOctober90

N8KDV wrote in message ...
RedOctober90 wrote:

N8KDV wrote in message ...
yazoo63 wrote:

Hearing a possible clandestine station around 4417.5 khz. Hearing the
carrier, but cant detect any audio due to
static in my area. Hearing a jamming signal on same freq, so have to assume
there's a clandestine there.

Why would you assume that simply based upon hearing a carrier?

Anybody have any info on this ?

Barry N4IJN

Sorry N8KDV... that it's not about politics and Bill Clinton.

OK, whiner....

Yes Yazoo, it's hard to ID something that is simply a blank carrier.

Ok, that makes us even, we both are whiners. But the killfile is
making sure I don't see your off-topic postings again.
Old July 28th 03, 03:50 AM
N8KDV

RedOctober90 wrote:

N8KDV wrote in message ...
RedOctober90 wrote:

N8KDV wrote in message ...
yazoo63 wrote:

Hearing a possible clandestine station around 4417.5 khz. Hearing the
carrier, but cant detect any audio due to
static in my area. Hearing a jamming signal on same freq, so have to assume
there's a clandestine there.

Why would you assume that simply based upon hearing a carrier?

Anybody have any info on this ?

Barry N4IJN

Sorry N8KDV... that it's not about politics and Bill Clinton.

OK, whiner....

Yes Yazoo, it's hard to ID something that is simply a blank carrier.

Ok, that makes us even, we both are whiners. But the killfile is
making sure I don't see your off-topic postings again.

Thanks! But I contend that we can't possibly be even... your whining far outclasses mine.

Steve
Holland, MI

Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old July 28th 03, 04:08 AM
yazoo63

Yes Yazoo, it's hard to ID something that is simply a blank carrier.

Actually, i didn't say it was a blank carrier. I said that i couldn't
detect any audio due to a high level of static in my
area at the time. There very well could have been audio, i just couldnt
tell through the static. I was hoping someone
else who had better conditions might have heard audio there.

I cant wait until winter time conditions get here so the low bands quiet
down.

"RedOctober90" wrote in message
om...