Old August 13th 03, 09:32 PM
TailGator

Default mIRC Channel For SWL?

About a year ago or better I stumbled upon a real time mIRC channel for
milair/utility listings that was great - I can't remember what server it was
on or what it was called - can anyone help? Was very nice to see the
post/freq and tune quickly to that channel and hear the transmission. The
hams there were very friendly and helpful as well - thanks to anyone who can
steer me in the right direction

John
KF4ANC

Old August 13th 03, 10:27 PM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:32:31 GMT, "TailGator"
wrote:

About a year ago or better I stumbled upon a real time mIRC channel for
milair/utility listings that was great - I can't remember what server it was
on or what it was called - can anyone help? Was very nice to see the
post/freq and tune quickly to that channel and hear the transmission. The
hams there were very friendly and helpful as well - thanks to anyone who can
steer me in the right direction

John
KF4ANC

Try #monitor on IRCnet.

irc1.us.ircnet.net is the server I use to connect.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Old August 13th 03, 11:57 PM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:30:56 GMT, "Warpcore"
wrote:

How do I access that group on Earthlink ? I've visited the web page.
Try #monitor on IRCnet.

irc1.us.ircnet.net is the server I use to connect.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

I'm not familiar with Earthlink. I did have a year's worth of AOL that
came with a computer I bought once, but I used it for less than six
months before realizing what a piece of crap AOL is and signing on
with a real ISP.

I do know that mIRC works on Earthlink, because one of the regulars in
#monitor used to be on Earthlink and used mIRC to access the channel.

If it's anything like AOL, you just minimize your Earthlink browser,
then run your IRC client. Which means...

You need an IRC client first. The program mIRC, available for free at
www.mirc.com is a popular one for Windows based PCs; since this is the
platform I use, this is what I'm familiar with. If you're on a Mac or
use Linux or something, someone else will have to advise you on what
to do. I'll assume you're running a Windows based PC, probably a safe
assumption. If not, disregard the rest of this.

Now, once you download mIRC from the above website (it's an .exe file,
you just download it, log off, shut all your other programs down, and
run the executable to install the program) and install the program,
you'll need to configure it. This can be done from the options menu
once you run the program (second icon from the left on the
toolbar...looks like a hammer and a folder). The main things you'll
need to supply to the program are a primary and secondary nick
(nickname or screen name that you'll use to identify yourself to other
users...your ham callsign will suffice if you have one, if not choose
something else that suits your fancy) and a name and e-mail address.
Once you've done this you probably won't have to make any changes
unless you want to.

On the CONNECT option, click the ADD box and type in the server name
irc1.us.ircnet.net (since it isn't included with the program), then
select that server to connect to. When you connect to the server
you'll get the MOTD (message of the day) in your status window. A list
of channels will come up in a dialog box, click CANCEL to close it.
You'll see a message window at the bottom of your status window into
which you can type. Type in the following exactly as shown:

/join #monitor

Hit ENTER on your keyboard. That will put you in the channel #monitor,
and another window should open into that channel.

This all sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. Basically
you're just installing the program, adding your personal info and
adding the open U.S. server for IRCnet, and connecting to that server
and joining the #monitor channel. After initial configuration, it'll
take you about ten seconds to get into the channel (unless the server
is running slow).

I don't get on IRC nearly as often as I used to...very seldom these
days, in fact...but when I am there, my nick will be either KNY2VS (my
old monitoring station ID from my SWL/scanner days) or my ham callsign
which appears in my signature. If you see me on IRC be sure to say
hello and let me know if you got there okay. Have fun!

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Old August 14th 03, 12:28 AM
Warpcore

Nertz.
I downloaded the program, but it says I have to pay $20 to register it in 30
days - that would not be a problem if Ihad not been unemployed for over a
year without benefits s. I'll use it for 30 days and then ditch it I guess
LOL. I love capitalism.

Channel Master choices John Antenna 0 May 4th 04 12:44 AM
99 Channel FRS on eBay - Interesting, thinking about bidding Greg Scanner 7 March 27th 04 05:38 PM
Many many digital tone burst on channel 23 Night Ranger CB 2 October 9th 03 10:41 PM
above channel 30 ssb only..? dont eat those big macs fatty CB 7 August 20th 03 05:31 PM