Old August 19th 03, 07:43 PM
radio newbie

Default shortwave newbie needs help please.

I bought a sony 7600gr yesterday. I'm having trouble catching any
shortwave frequencies. Its great for fm and am but I can;t seem to
listen to shortwave signals. I'm trying for radio free asia but I keep
getting static. What am I doing wrong ?
http://www.rfa.org/front/progsched.html . I live in the newyork city
area near the coney island area of brooklyn. My time is 5 hours - utc.
I checked the schedule and it seems like it should work. I extended my
whip antenna all the way , I attached the included portable wire
antenna to it as well and I'm getting nothing. Is there something
wrong with my radio ? I took my radio outside and I tried it inside
and I get static.

Is there a frequency that is recommended for me to listen to in order
to tell if my radio is working properly ?
Old August 19th 03, 08:44 PM
Stephan Grossklass

radio newbie schrieb:

I bought a sony 7600gr yesterday. I'm having trouble catching any
shortwave frequencies. Its great for fm and am but I can;t seem to
listen to shortwave signals. I'm trying for radio free asia but I keep
getting static. What am I doing wrong ?

Quite likely nothing at all... except for overlooking the last thread.
Conditions are pretty bad at the moment - yesterday evening I only
got "local stations" on 19 and 22 meters he Deutsche Welle on 13780
came booming in (normally weak and fading), while there wasn't a trace
af the VoA, let alone Radio Australia.

Is there a frequency that is recommended for me to listen to in order
to tell if my radio is working properly ?

Just browse through the bands (preferably the lower ones like 49 m, and
of course medium wave, in the evening) and see what you can find.

Stephan (7600G//AR7030+)
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 256 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W
Old August 20th 03, 04:57 AM
WShoots1

Is there a frequency that is recommended for me to listen to in order
to tell if my radio is working properly ?

I check for WWV on 10 MHz .If it's not there at all on two or more of my
radios, I assume conditions are bad. If it's there pretty good, then I'll check
15 MHz (day) or 5 MHz (night) to see if they are there. From them, I can get a
good idea of conditions.

Of course, if the spectrum goes dead, there's no way of knowing whether or not
it's your radio, unless you knew the bad conditions were coming or you check
one of the internet sites for the Sun's status.

BTW There was a brief wipeout of the HF (SW) spectrum a day or two ago.

Bill, K5BY
Old August 20th 03, 05:31 AM
Gregg

Behold, Tom signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

The conditions the last few nights have been very bad

Doh!

I've been designing a single-balanced 12AT7 mixer for a homebrew rig.
Here I thought it was my design that was stuffed :-\

It's been the conditions!

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*