Old September 4th 03, 03:49 PM
Warpcore

Default Interference

I am wondering if local interference that has just started is from
broadband.

The last time I started having new interference like this all up and down
the bands, it came from a component stereo system and tv, so I have
everything on a switch so I can turn all that off. I even turned off my
answering machine-cordless phone. It creates an intermittent whining or
howling noise that almost sounds like cw.

My antenna system in dorectional. When I use the pair of short vertical
wires, the noise is lessened; using the horizontal pairs, it is really loud.
The interference seems to begin around 13 Mhz and continues in various
places on the bands through 15 Mhz. At higher frequencies, it seems to
disappear. I have similar problems with the electrical meters which
interferes on 4.0 through 4.8 or so.

Is it possible to have that much interference from wireless computer systems
or powerline networked PC's.

Concerned in Issaquah, Wa.

BTW lots of "risers" this morning.

Old September 4th 03, 08:45 PM
J999w

Not sure what radio you're using ... but if possible, make a small loop of wire
on the end of a long piece of coax as a RF sniffer. The pickup will be
extremely poor requireing you to be close to the source, thereby helping you
identifying the source.

Run the sniffer by the power cords, see if it's there.

I did this in finding the source of my computer noise _inside_ the computer.

Post your results !

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee
Old September 4th 03, 09:36 PM
Warpcore

I could be wrong, but I'm sure this is outside in the neigborhood close by.
I've got a radio shack dx394.

Old September 5th 03, 01:12 AM
Clete

From how you described the sound, it reminds of a similar problem I
had....It turned out to be the "smart" charger for my cell phone that was
plugged into the cigarette lighter in my vehicle outside. It wouldn't do it
all the time, just every few minutes.

Clete

Old September 5th 03, 02:03 AM
Diverd4777

This is where a Real small cheap multiband radio comes in handy

Turn it on, pull out the antenna all the way.
walk around your house , checking out All electrical outlets, devices, dimmers
wall warts, etc.

Found this a good way to hunt out both interference & strong signal areas

Old September 5th 03, 01:13 PM
Leonard

Ref: noise, devices, etc.

One of the largest noise generators going is the
"cheapo" wall-wart power supplies that some equipment
has on them. If yours has the term "..switching power supply"..
on it, it probably is making all kinds of noise on
am and shortwave. All Switching power supplies generate
a level of noise that is illegal. I think the FCC
has cracked down on those things. There were cheap
to make, therefore, they are scattered everywhere!

When checking the noise out in you home, disconnect them
from the wall..just turning the off is not enough in some
cases. Also, check out all florescent lights, cut them
off. Some cell-phone power supplies-recharger units.

I just upgraded my PC DSL modem and router and I can
now sit and listen to Shortwave and have my computer
on. The Modem is one of the new Zoom DSL X3 units...
..a really modern piece of hardware. Quite, no noise.
Same can be said for the Netgear router..both are really
quiet..the old hardware was unbelievably noisy.

Anyway, the more current power supplies are much quieter
than the old..as is the digital circuits. There are some
switching power supply blocks still being sold..but do
try to change power supplies if need be. Radio Shack has
some pretty good replacement units..some have variable
power adjustments, they are quiet rf wise. Walk around
with a old portable am radio with a piece of wire attached..
it will sniff out an AM noise generator.

Good luck..

Leonard...

Old September 5th 03, 05:43 PM
Warpcore

I had not thought about the new cordless phone with answering machine. I'll
have to see what happens when I unplug that. My PC makes a tremendous amount
of rf, so I turn it off at the APC.
New Page 1
news