Old September 9th 03, 02:10 PM
Pete KE9OA

Default High performance MW receiver

My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new product. If there is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the market. What would
you be more interested in......................a small table top type, or a
portable?
Performance wise, I am talking about something like that of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection, but a couple of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible. Definitely, double conversion, and
digital readout, with good audio quality.
Would you want any presets? How about target price? Do you want a built in
antenna, or external antenna only? High and low impedance antenna inputs?
How about a built in tunable preselector?
E-mail me directly, and we will see what happens. Any of you who have built
any of me receivers know what I am talking about...............I plan to
take the design to the next couple of steps up in performance.

Pete

Old September 9th 03, 02:13 PM
gabriella

13123213213test

----------

Old September 9th 03, 02:55 PM
Ron Hardin

Must have synch detection and selectable sideband. No serious MW
program listening is possible without it - the adjacent channel
shares spectrum with one sideband of the channel you're tuned to.

SSB upper and lower, and enough stability to hold the right
frequency for hours.

DSB reception (3dB better than SSB) with suppressed carrier notch,
to kill off slow carrier beats against multiple stations. The R8B
in SSB mode does this but gets only half the S/N that DSB would give.

(SSB and DSB for when there's more than one carrier present - the
pumping of the net carrier anti-pumps the detected audio, making it
unlistenable. Notching out the carrier(s) and just supplying
an internal stable one solves the pumping problem. The sidebands
do not pump by themselves, just the former reference carrier.)

Serious brick wall passband, to kill off an adjacent channel local
modulating the AGC on you.

Huge dynamic range; MW locals require it if you're going to suppress
them.

Audio notch filters against various hets from computer terminals
that the neighbors have.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 9th 03, 03:20 PM
Diverd4777

Hi Pete:

- Just my choices...

Portable over Small table top;
Double conversion would be a must.
Presets would be invaluable; I have them on the Sangean 606A and the Sangean
DT110
Built in antenna with external port.
DX - Local switch.. ?? always have it on DX..
OR

Tunable pre selector that wou't confuse the average shopper..

( focus group used here ?? ; talk to marketing)

Loop antenna add-ons for DX'ing or distant stations.
extra speaker plug ins for Stereo FM ??
Definitly Digital readout
Small, ( 3 inch?) ported speaker
Knob type Tone controls

Target price.. Dunno, competitive with others in the field..

Old September 9th 03, 06:16 PM
Radioman390

I would prefer a table radio like a Tivoli or old KLH21

Ceratinly some DRM capability, or a place to add a plug-in card which could be
either DRM, C-QUAM stereo, or the digital AM (IBOC or Kahn?).

Depending on how the digital standard goes, at least the RF could be constant.

10/9 khz tuning (US vs Euro)

Noise blanker

An input for a loop antenna

An input with DC phantom power for an outdoor active antenna

Maybe an antenna switch to switch between lop and other antenna, or two loops.

Good tone controls

Perhaps something like the old Scott DYNAURAL circuit which shaped the flatness
of the audio depending on signal strength, or something like Worcester's AM
circuit which made the IF passband narrower as the signal strength decreased.

Good speaker!

Old September 9th 03, 06:17 PM
Radioman390

Oops, I forgot

DRM readout to ID stations, songs, etc
Old September 9th 03, 06:31 PM
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

[posted and mailed.]

Pete KE9OA wrote:
My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new product. If there is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the market. What would
you be more interested in......................a small table top type, or a
portable?

You know UL rating is easier when you use a wall wart. Go for a portable
even if it's a little on the large side.

Performance wise, I am talking about something like that of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection,

Aw, Pete, go that extra mile.

but a couple of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible.

Yes, please.

Definitely, double conversion, and
digital readout, with good audio quality.
Would you want any presets?

With digital readout, presets shouldn't be that expensive. The more
electronically-controlled functions, the easier to do presets, thus
adding bells and whistles. Extra points for IF bandwidth stored with
station, supercool for bass/treble stored. Including a clock? Wanna
be spiffy? Preset for timezone displayed. Easy, cheap, and marketing
will love having a feature no one else has.

How about target price?

A really hot MW receiver isn't a mass-market product. This ain't gonna be
cheap. Don't make it ridiculous. $150 might be a nice target for a really
hot unit. $39 if it comes pre-misaligned like other super radios.

Do you want a built in
antenna, or external antenna only?

A cheapo loopstick built in for general use, external input for the
serious DXer.

High and low impedance antenna inputs?

I know you won't forget to protect 'em against static etc.

How about a built in tunable preselector?

Probably worth it. RF gain control, too.

A switch and a cap gives you AGC slow/fast control, hint hint. And show
us how *real* AGC works, not that phony auto-stifle lots of designers
come up with.

Selectable 1 KHz tuning resolution. Don't forget 9 KHz if Europe might
be interested.

One alarm timer, one or two "on" timers, and a "sleep" timer that can be
set without having to turn the damn radio off and back on.

Audio line out.

DreamFeature [tm]: two low-Z antenna inputs, one with a unity-gain variable
phase shift 0-90+ degrees. You're Superman if you can do that one cheaply.
Doesn't have to be precisely calibrated, only the range (not the dial
position) is important; only us tweakers will use it.

--
"Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
Old September 9th 03, 06:53 PM
MRe

"Pete KE9OA" schreef in
bericht

..net...
My employer has given me the go ahead to design a new

product. If there is
enough interest, I will design a new MW receiver for the

market. What would
you be more interested in......................a small

table top type, or a
portable?
Performance wise, I am talking about something like that

of an AOR7030.
I don't think that I would be inplementing Sync Detection,

Synch detection is a MUST for a high quality AM radio.

but a couple of
I.F. bandwidths could be possible. Definitely,
double conversion, and
digital readout,

Single conversion with a good preselector is O.K
Up conversion may also be considered

with good audio quality.

For mediumwave reception LOWE's HF150 should be your guide
in performance,
(Not in ergonomics). The synch detector is very high quality

Would you want any presets? How about target price? Do

you want a built in
antenna, or external antenna only? High and low impedance

antenna inputs?
How about a built in tunable preselector?
E-mail me directly, and we will see what happens.

This is usenet, more people are interested in the
discussion.

Old September 9th 03, 07:23 PM
Kent

If you do a hot MW receiver for about $150, I will place the first order!

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote in message
[posted and mailed.]

Old September 9th 03, 07:41 PM
Dale Parfitt

Kent wrote:

If you do a hot MW receiver for about $150, I will place the first order!

and you had to ask, Pete! Just build it- they will come.

73,
Dale W4OP