Old September 11th 03, 11:50 PM
Matt

Default Any good freqs for Hurricane Hunter aircraft?

Hi guys... I'm interested in listening to some comms between Hurricane
Hunter aircrafts and the Natl Hurrican Center. Here are the freqs I
have:

3407.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "ALPHA"

5562.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "BRAVO"

5610.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "CHARLIE"

6673.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "DELTA"

8876.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "ECHO"

10015.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "FOXTROT"

13267.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "GOLF"

17901.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "HOTEL"

21937.0 National Hurricane Center air-gnd "INDIA"

I have been listening to these on and off for the last 2 days without
much luck. Has anyone heard any of these HH aircrafts on HF recently,
and if so, what time and what freq?

Thanks!

Matt

Old September 12th 03, 08:50 PM
WShoots1

I believe all three Hurricane Hunters are stationed near North Korea now. The
recon for the recent storm in the Gulf of Mexico was done by Air National Guard
aircraft. So, ANG frequencies may be in use now.

Bill, K5BY
Old September 13th 03, 01:52 AM
WShoots1

I guess I'm 75% wrong regarding the recon aircraft. From the latest report on
H. Isabel:

...AIR FORCE RESERVE AND NOAA HURRICANE HUNTERS CONFIRM THAT ISABEL IS A
CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE...

I guess the NOAA aircraft are back. I assume they returned after a stand down
from a possibleUS conflict with North Korea.

Too, it's the AFR not the ANG that's out there. I wonder, though, why two
agencies are doing recon? Hmm...

Bill, K5BY
Old September 13th 03, 02:16 AM
--exray--

WShoots1 wrote:
I guess I'm 75% wrong regarding the recon aircraft. From the latest report on
H. Isabel:

...AIR FORCE RESERVE AND NOAA HURRICANE HUNTERS CONFIRM THAT ISABEL IS A
CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE...

I guess the NOAA aircraft are back. I assume they returned after a stand down
from a possibleUS conflict with North Korea.

Too, it's the AFR not the ANG that's out there. I wonder, though, why two
agencies are doing recon? Hmm...

Bill, K5BY

Beats me. As you probably know Super Typhoon Maemi WAS bearing down on
Japan and Korea with 230 mph winds (a few days ago) that would make
Isabelle seem like a breezy day. I don't know if they shuffle resources
to that degree or not but I'd think the Pacific area has their own
planes based out of Guam or something???
I don't know this to be 100% true but my understanding that here in the
Caribbean the ANG/AFR guys based in Puerto Rico help out the Hurricane
Hunter folk who have to come all the way from Florida.

-Bill, WX4A

Old September 13th 03, 05:48 AM
RHF

WS1,

Please don't repeat this nATTIONAL sECRET concerning the special
deployment of these "Hurricane" Hunters being station for duties near
North Korea.

Once Again Please Remember:
The US Intelligence [Code Name] for 'The Beloved Leader' of the
People Democratic Republic of North Korea "Kim Jong-il" is . . .
- - - H U R R I C A N E !

This Storm Too... Will Pass !

jftfoi ~ RHF
..
..
= = =
= = = (WShoots1)

Old September 13th 03, 05:57 AM
WShoots1

I don't know this to be 100% true but my understanding that here in the
Caribbean the ANG/AFR guys based in Puerto Rico help out the Hurricane
Hunter folk who have to come all the way from Florida.

Could very well be. There used to be USN and USCG planes out there, too.
Everybody wanted their own show.

230 mph winds

That's a humongous tornado! During H. Alicia 20 years ago, peak winds in my
former neighborhood were estimated to be 156 mph. These were from the many
miniswirls (baby tornadoes) that the storm spawned.

Bill, K5BY
Old September 14th 03, 05:14 AM
WShoots1

RHF: WS1,

Please don't repeat this nATTIONAL sECRET concerning the special deployment
of these "Hurricane" Hunters being station for duties near North Korea.

Once Again Please Remember:
The US Intelligence [Code Name] for 'The Beloved Leader' of the People
Democratic Republic of North Korea "Kim Jong-il" is . . .
- - - H U R R I C A N E !

I see. Didn't you just give Kim's secret name? LOL

Bill, K5BY
Old September 16th 03, 01:15 PM
N8KDV

The Hurricane Hunters now use MilSat to relay their observations.

Go to this page and scroll down to Hurrican Reconnasaince Aircraft to get
links on how to read the messages:

http://www.hurricanefrequencies.com/

Steve
Holland, MI