Old September 26th 03, 11:25 PM
Diverd4777

Default Home Brew / Alternative to Coax feedline

All:
thought you might enjoy this info...

I have about ~100 feet of wire just outside the windows of the Apt.
I feed this in via a coax cable. We have double pane, aluminum windows.
Quite nice for keeping out sound and keeping in heat (or keeping in coolth)
depending on the season.
Anyway, to get this signal from the coax under the window, I can't just drill a
hole
in the aluminum window in the bedroom and snake a wire through it.
Well, actually I could,
but the landlord would be upset.
Quite upset...
So, to get the signal under the window, I use a strip of ribbon cable,

first wrapped in typing paper,
then wrapped in one layer of aluminum foil,
then one layer of plastic (all for insulation/waterproofing).
This is then wrapped up in one layer of duct tape.

I've found that the aluminum foil/silver duct tape is very good in blocking out
all the RF that's around.
Hook everything up, cover with your favorite RF resistant material
(Silver duct tape). Open the window, put the ribbon cable coax in,
close the window and lock it.
RF goes away, and you get a nice, quiet signal...

Dan

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...d/altcoax.html

Old September 26th 03, 11:39 PM
Warpcore

Clever s . Another triumph for duct tape g. I'm glad you got a clean
signal now.

Old September 27th 03, 02:51 AM
Tony Meloche

Warpcore wrote:

Clever s . Another triumph for duct tape g. I'm glad you got a clean
signal now.

Agreed. This is an idea well worth remembering for "future use".

Tony

The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Antenna 27 November 3rd 04 01:38 PM
New Home Brew Store GTS Homebrew 20 November 23rd 03 10:29 AM
New Home Brew Store GTS Homebrew 0 November 13th 03 12:14 AM
FS/ trade 9 tube home brew receiver Frank Dresser Boatanchors 1 September 22nd 03 02:56 AM