Old September 26th 03, 11:57 PM
Luis Vasquez

Default Sony ICF-SW1 vs Grundig YB-400

I bought a used Grundig Yacht Boy 400 a few weeks ago. The Sony ICF-SW1 that
I have picks up stations about as good as the YB 400. However, my YB 400 has
much worse sound quality than the SW1. The sound is dull and sounds like a
treble control in it is set to a very low setting. The SW1 has very clear
sound, even through lots of static. I would think that a larger, newer radio
such as the Yacht Boy 400 would have much better sound.
I just tried the dynaboost mod at
http://members.aol.com/rickw999/ybdymod.txt on the 400, but it doesn't make
it sound better than the SW1 and the volume is far too loud.
Also, the volume on the 400 goes up and down dramatically as the signal gets
stronger and fades, unlike the SW-1 where the sound level stays the same. Is
there any way to modify the AGC circuit?
Is the YB-400 supposed to have worse sound than the ICF-SW1, or is my 400 a
lemon?

Old September 27th 03, 12:06 AM
Diverd4777

In article Vv3db.592048$Ho3.113670@sccrnsc03, "Luis Vasquez"
writes:

s the YB-400 supposed to have worse sound than the ICF-SW1, or is my 400 a
lemon?

I have noticed that, on the SONY 7600G, the tone was significantly better than
on another set ( Icom R-75)
- My guess is that sony spent 25 cents extra on circuitry to improve sound . .

Old September 27th 03, 12:18 AM
Sanjaya

"Luis Vasquez" wrote...
I bought a used Grundig Yacht Boy 400 a few weeks ago. The Sony ICF-SW1 that
I have picks up stations about as good as the YB 400. However, my YB 400 has
much worse sound quality than the SW1.

[snip]

I don't have a Sony ICF-SW1, but I have
an 8 year old Grundig YB-400.
It exhibits none of the symptoms you describe.
Sounds good, works good.

Old September 27th 03, 04:33 AM
Luis Vasquez

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
link.net...
"Luis Vasquez" wrote...
I bought a used Grundig Yacht Boy 400 a few weeks ago. The Sony ICF-SW1

that
I have picks up stations about as good as the YB 400. However, my YB 400

has
much worse sound quality than the SW1.

[snip]

I don't have a Sony ICF-SW1, but I have
an 8 year old Grundig YB-400.
It exhibits none of the symptoms you describe.
Sounds good, works good.

I forgot to say that in FM, it sounds just as good as the SW1 or any other
FM radio. In every other band it's subpar.
I've been reading some older posts here, and it seems as though there was a
bad batch of YB-400s at one point. I guess I got one of those.

Old September 27th 03, 09:30 AM
Sanjaya

"Luis Vasquez" wrote...
[snip]
I've been reading some older posts here, and it seems as though there was a
bad batch of YB-400s at one point. I guess I got one of those.

I thought about saying that, after I clicked "send"
last night. It seems to me that most of the bad
YB400s were purchased at Radio Shack... and
they were the newer YB400PE models (silver).
If you're referring to a YB400PE then maybe
you did indeed get one from the bad batch.

Old September 27th 03, 04:17 PM
Gary

"Luis Vasquez" wrote in message news:Vv3db.592048$Ho3.113670@sccrnsc03...
I bought a used Grundig Yacht Boy 400 a few weeks ago.

That's why I don't buy USED radios. Must be a reason someone wanted
to sell it. New may cost more, but new comes with a warranty.

I got my YB-400 when they first came out (I guess about 9 years ago)
and it works great and has great sound - none of the problems you
mentioned.
Old September 27th 03, 09:45 PM
Luis Vasquez

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
"Luis Vasquez" wrote in message

I bought a used Grundig Yacht Boy 400 a few weeks ago.

That's why I don't buy USED radios. Must be a reason someone wanted
to sell it. New may cost more, but new comes with a warranty.

I got my YB-400 when they first came out (I guess about 9 years ago)
and it works great and has great sound - none of the problems you
mentioned.

I bought mine at a thrift store for 7 dollars, so even though it doesn't
work quite like I expected, it's still a good price. It's in surprisingly
good cosmetic condition too.
BTW, it's an original Yacht Boy 400, not the PE model, and nothing on it
indicates that it is from Radio Shack but who knows.

Old September 28th 03, 05:40 AM
starman

Gary wrote:

That's why I don't buy USED radios. Must be a reason someone wanted
to sell it. New may cost more, but new comes with a warranty.

I got my YB-400 when they first came out (I guess about 9 years ago)
and it works great and has great sound - none of the problems you
mentioned.

Radio Shack resells their returned products (radios included) with a
double warranty.

Old October 5th 03, 11:06 PM
snow

I have own both and you may have a lemon, as I found the YB 400 sounds to be
very good and a bit better than the SW-1, mainly because of the size
difference.
[...]

Get FREE Sony Cameras, Palms Treo 650 Smartphone or Sony Vaio K35!!! [email protected] Antenna 1 January 12th 05 01:16 AM
FS: Sony 2010 KE2WG Equipment 0 October 4th 03 11:43 AM
Sony 7600 GR Reception of WGN Chicago (AM 720) Bob D Shortwave 16 September 14th 03 05:21 PM
Sony 7600GR Cell Phones and Amish The Dawn Soliloquy Shortwave 1 September 8th 03 01:59 PM
Grundig Repairs The Axelrods Shortwave 12 July 17th 03 02:58 PM