Old September 29th 03, 02:34 AM
Frank Dresser

Default BPL question

How much privacy are the BPL folk promising? I have to figure there's some
level of encryption, but I'm curious about the level. If a power grid is
used for a network, than the common signals will be available at any power
outlet in a whole area, even for non-subscribers. Looks like a high tech
party line to me.

Frank Dresser

Old September 29th 03, 04:08 PM
Warpcore

How are phone conversations kept apart on a telephone line ? It seems to me
that you would have to have some kind of interface card to connect to the
service providing the internet connection, otherwise it would be free for
everyone, whether they paid or not. That interface card would have to
discriminate in some way from subscribers and non- subscribers. FWIW mm

Old September 29th 03, 04:12 PM
Gregg

Behold, Warpcore signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

How are phone conversations kept apart on a telephone line ?

All non-dsl products have to have a filter placed inline. It's just a wee
device that a dollar will get you 1/2 dozen, but most ISP give them away.

It seems to
me that you would have to have some kind of interface card to connect to
the service providing the internet connection, otherwise it would be
free for everyone, whether they paid or not. That interface card would
have to discriminate in some way from subscribers and non- subscribers.
FWIW mm

TCP/IP routing. Plain and simple, is my guess.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old September 29th 03, 04:14 PM
Gregg

Behold, Frank Dresser signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

How much privacy are the BPL folk promising? I have to figure there's
some level of encryption, but I'm curious about the level.

If MD5 can be cracked, forget 100% security via BPL.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing that can't be cracked.

Old September 29th 03, 06:40 PM
Dennis Ferguson

Frank Dresser wrote:
How much privacy are the BPL folk promising? I have to figure there's some
level of encryption, but I'm curious about the level. If a power grid is
used for a network, than the common signals will be available at any power
outlet in a whole area, even for non-subscribers. Looks like a high tech
party line to me.

Note that this is not a unique attribute, it is about the same situation
as that which exists for broadband Internet service via cable modems. I
assume that BPL would use the same protection techniques (mostly
depending on control of the receiving equipment, I think). This seems
to mostly work, I very seldom hear complaints about the security of
people's cable connections.

Dennis Ferguson

Old September 29th 03, 07:18 PM
Frank Dresser

"Gregg" wrote in message
. ..
Behold, Frank Dresser signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

How much privacy are the BPL folk promising? I have to figure there's
some level of encryption, but I'm curious about the level.

If MD5 can be cracked, forget 100% security via BPL.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing that can't be cracked.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Beside the obvious privacy issue, I've been wondering if BPL will be another
security burden on the whole internet. It looks like it might be a code
cracker's playground, what with the network going all around, to the every
outlet in an area, to both subscribers and non subscribers. Could the
truely malicious do their damage from a non-subscribing home? I don't know,
I don't really know anything about networking.

Frank Dresser

Old September 29th 03, 07:28 PM
Ron Hardin

Gregg wrote:
If MD5 can be cracked, forget 100% security via BPL.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing that can't be cracked.

Wander over to http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/c...g/numbers.html
and factor one of their numbers for money. They'll give you $10k to $200k if you do.

It's a very old challenge by now.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 29th 03, 07:35 PM
Frank Dresser

"Dennis Ferguson" wrote in message

Note that this is not a unique attribute, it is about the same situation
as that which exists for broadband Internet service via cable modems. I
assume that BPL would use the same protection techniques (mostly
depending on control of the receiving equipment, I think). This seems
to mostly work, I very seldom hear complaints about the security of
people's cable connections.

Dennis Ferguson

Yeah, I'm almost totally ignorant on this one. I sorta assumed the cable
companies set aside some bandwidth for internet access, and trapped it out
for non-internet cable subscribers. I suppose such a thing could be done in
a BPL community, but I picture power line traps being far more expensive
than cable traps, and installing thousands of 100A+ traps would get pretty
expensive, not to mention the public relation problems of cutting the power
of non subscribers so the traps could be installed. The easy way out is not
to trap anything. And considering the BPL folks attitude about radiation,
they won't do anything they aren't forced to. And they won't be working out
problems in advance, but as they come along.

Frank Dresser

Old September 29th 03, 08:03 PM
Frank Dresser

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Gregg wrote:
If MD5 can be cracked, forget 100% security via BPL.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing that can't be cracked.

Wander over to

http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/c...g/numbers.html
and factor one of their numbers for money. They'll give you $10k to $200k

if you do.

It's a very old challenge by now.
--
Ron Hardin

Will BPL be that secure? I haven't noticed any mention.

Frank Dresser

Old September 29th 03, 09:03 PM
Ron Hardin

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
..
Gregg wrote:
If MD5 can be cracked, forget 100% security via BPL.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing that can't be cracked.

Wander over to

http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/c...g/numbers.html
and factor one of their numbers for money. They'll give you $10k to $200k

if you do.

It's a very old challenge by now.
--
Ron Hardin

Will BPL be that secure? I haven't noticed any mention.

Frank Dresser

I have no idea; but public key crypto isn't rare.
--
Ron Hardin

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
transmitter question - its a dousy duckman Homebrew 0 December 8th 03 11:51 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM