Old October 2nd 03, 03:19 AM
Burr

Default Could we get some help on this (OT)

These Clear Channel Radio Stations have been doing
shows about running cycles down and throwing bottles at them
in three cities.
I have wrote the FCC and the CEO of CC and got nice
letters back just before they did it again. I just wrote the
LA Times, WSJ and the local Ridgecrest papers.

Any help you'll would give us with letters to papers, FCC
and sponsors as well as the stations.

Burr

Wednesday, October 1, 2003 6:14AM EDT
Radio host infuriates cyclists

By BRUCE SICELOFF, Staff Writer

G105 radio host Bob Dumas told listeners last week that he
just hated to see bicycle riders on the road. He laughed at
stories about running cyclists down, and he talked up the
idea of throwing bottles at bikers.

It wasn't funny to cycling enthusiasts across the Triangle.
This week they are lobbying government officials and local
advertisers in a campaign to punish radio station WDCG and
its corporate owner, Clear Channel of San Antonio, and to
promote bicycle safety.

"One caller said her dad had purposely hit a biker on the
road on the way to church one Sunday and kept on going,"
said G105 listener Holly N. Proctor of Cary on Tuesday of
the Sept. 21 and 22 broadcasts. "That got laughs. Bob
thought that was funny.

"And Bob said he'd love to be on a motorcycle and driving it
down a bike lane. Because he didn't think bikers should be
allowed on the road. He said they should ride on the
sidewalk," she said.

Proctor, a photo technician at N.C. State University, joined
two dozen fellow cyclists at a 5 p.m. protest outside the
radio station's offices in North Raleigh.

Tom Norman , director of the N.C. Division of Bicycle and
Pedestrian Transportation , said that reports about the
broadcasts revealed dangerous ignorance of state law.

"I have talked to the G105 manager, who was not aware that
it is legal to ride bicycles on the public roadways of North
Carolina, that cycles are legally recognized as vehicles in
North Carolina," Norman said. "Where do you draw the line?
What is the distinction between humor and actually inciting
or encouraging listeners to harass a group of people?"

Kenneth C. Spitzer, the station manager, declined to provide
tapes or transcripts of the broadcasts to Norman or to a
Capital Area transportation planning committee that
discussed the controversy Tuesday.

In e-mail responses to several Triangle area residents who
complained to the station, Spitzer said the "Bob and Madison
" show aims to entertain listeners with "animated banter ...
that can be both humorous and caustic." But he said some
comments last week "went too far, and for that we sincerely
apologize. ...

"Be assured that G105 does not advocate harm to cyclists,"
he wrote.

G105 is the third Clear Channel station to draw fire in the
past four months for on-air comments perceived as advocating
violence or animosity toward bicycle riders. Officials at
WMJI in Cleveland and KLOL in Houston apologized in July and
September for similar remarks. They agreed to broadcast
"share the road" messages and to finance bicycle safety
campaigns.

Leaders of the N.C. Bicycle Club outlined requests they said
would help Clear Channel "mend relations with Triangle
bicyclists," including similar public safety campaigns and a
detailed apology.

Spitzer declined to comment. A corporate spokeswoman to whom
inquiries were directed Tuesday did not return calls.

Members of area cycling clubs have shared copies over the
past week of protest letters to the Federal Communications
Commission, to state and local prosecutors and to G105
sponsors. Several critics noted that G105 radio hosts have
sparked controversy in the past with crude stunts.

"It's one thing to drive around with a naked man on the
radio station's van," said Raleigh lawyer Kimberly Bryan.
"To encourage citizens to harm cyclists, that has crossed a
different line. It's irresponsible. It's not caustic, it's
not banter, it's not funny."

David Smith , 38, a software developer at UNC-Chapel Hill,
took it personally. His right forearm still bears the scar
of an attack by an Orange County motorist who found Smith
cycling down a rural road one afternoon in April 2001.

"How are people going to take this, what was mentioned on
G105?" Smith asked. "Are people going to say, 'You know, I'm
tired of these cyclists?' Is that situation going to
exacerbate what happened to me, with somebody else coming
down a back road?"

After running Smith off the road, the driver stopped, chased
him down on foot and struck him with a hatchet, sending him
into a ditch and over the handlebars of his wrecked bike.
Marvin Glenn Manring of Orange County pleaded guilty in July
2001 to assault with a deadly weapon. He promised to enroll
in an anger management program.

Staff writer Bruce Siceloff can be reached at 829-4527 or
.

Old October 2nd 03, 05:00 PM
Warpcore

I ride a bike because I am unemployed and can't afford a car. I have always
been told people get ****ed because I ride on the sidewalk and should be
riding in the street.

It is getting bad on the road because people and bicycles do not count as
anything significant in the minds of drivers. While drivers must drive
defensively, bicyclists and pedestrians need to be twice as vigilant and
clairvoyant because of the drivers . I find that being extra patient and
non-territorial keeps me pretty safe. I have to say also, that some
bicyclists use very little of their grey matter sometimes. This is
especially so with the very young who dare someone to say anything to them
about darting in and out of traffic as if the angels were riding right
behind them.

The first thing that needs to happen is that law enforcement needs to
educate drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists about their rights and
responsibilities on the road.

I would fully support having the men-in-black come over to that station,
kicking down the door, cuffing the moron and dragging him off to prison for
the rest of his life without trial or kto lose his life just as suddenly,
and to disappear forever.

Old October 2nd 03, 10:12 PM
Soames123

Subject: Could we get some help on this (OT)
From: "Warpcore"
Date: 10/2/2003 12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

Oh I DO know that feeling;
No Dough,
& no where to go..

Use lots of lights . and 2 way mirrors.
Round these parts, they have signs
" Share The Road"
With pictures of Bicycles.
- So, get involved locally. You've got some time.

Go down to the police station. make an appointment with the cops who patrol the
area you ride.
Practice what your' gonna say, or write it down & rehearse it.

Go talk to the mayor. The local representative. Go down to the local Bike shops
with nicely worded petitions.
Go out & get them signed.
Go to PTA groups, preach Bike Saftey..Take the petitions there too..
Ask for signatures.
Bring them to the police, Mayor, representative, etc.
Work with the guys in Traffic Saftey.
Contact AAA. See if you can get
" Share The rad" signs put up. Or Bicycle Logos put on the pavement. Or events
with local bicycle clubs..
& then, if you get your face in enough places, & show you're Just MADE of work,

- then MAYBE someone'll give you a job !

Old October 3rd 03, 07:19 AM
Telamon

In article .net,
"Warpcore" wrote:

[...]

I have a much better ideaŠ just take his drivers license away and make
him ride a bicycle to work. That should do it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 3rd 03, 02:51 PM
Diverd4777

In article ,
Telamon writes:

I would fully support having the men-in-black come over to that station,
kicking down the door, cuffing the moron and dragging him off to prison for
the rest of his life without trial or kto lose his life just as suddenly,
and to disappear forever.

I have a much better ideaĆ* just take his drivers license away and make
him ride a bicycle to work. That should do it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

& he Sure wouldn't last long commuting on a Bike.
- Inquired about joining a bicycle club a while back..

- Membership chair called me from the hospital. ( Bike Accident)

( & you CAN"T make this stuff up !)

Old October 3rd 03, 03:31 PM
Burr

I ride 2-300 miles a week when I can get time.

Just need to be mean

Burr