Old October 13th 03, 10:51 PM
Larry Ozarow

Luckily, this radio uses loktals, and the 1L6 equivalent (1LA6) is cheap.

Frank Dresser wrote:

intermattant connections at the filiment pins. Most of the replacement
tubes are a few bucks each, but if it uses a 1L6, you'll be spending maybe
$30. Or a 1R5 may sub. I have a couple of battery sets. I've put zener
diodes across the filament supplies.

Frank Dresser

Old October 14th 03, 05:58 AM
dxlover

IIRC, the "wave
magnet"
(which was just a flat loop antenna, like was used in AM table radios
for years), was attached to the receiver by a length of insulated wire.
You could pick it up in your hand and slowly "wave" it left ot right to
find the strong point of the signal you wanted. Near a window was
always better - is for most antennas.

Thank you Tony.

--
^~^~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~^~^~^
*********Hammarlund129X & 140X**********

Old October 19th 03, 09:16 AM
dxlover

By the way, don't plug tubes in the radio while it's powered through the
line cord. When powered by the line, the filiment supply is derived from

dropping resistor in series with the filiments and a hum smoothing
capacitor. If a tube is pulled while the radio is line powered, the
capacitor will charge up to the B+ voltage (usually 90V). The cap will

have
enough charge to burn out at least one, and maybe even all of the

filiments
if a tube gets plugged back in. The same thing can happen if you get
intermattant connections at the filiment pins. Most of the replacement
tubes are a few bucks each, but if it uses a 1L6, you'll be spending maybe
$30. Or a 1R5 may sub. I have a couple of battery sets. I've put zener
diodes across the filament supplies.

Thanks Frank for the info. I'm gonna trust the fact that the fella I'm
sending her to is well aware of that. I'm sure he is, I trust him
unconditionally (radio wise ;-) .) It should be fine.

That'll really be something to see that piece fixed up and playing just like
back in 42. When I do send her off, I'm sure I'll post in here and no
doubt post when I get it back. I'm hearing good things about Zenith, but I
wish SOMEONE could tell me (from personal experience) exactly how this set
performs.

Hey Brenda Ann!!!!!!! Do you think it'll outperform the GE I got from you,
that piece is absolutely incredible BTW. :-)

--
^~^~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~^~^~^
*********Hammarlund129X & 140X**********

Old October 19th 03, 01:16 PM
Frank Dresser

"dxlover" wrote in message
news

Thanks Frank for the info. I'm gonna trust the fact that the fella I'm
sending her to is well aware of that. I'm sure he is, I trust him
unconditionally (radio wise ;-) .) It should be fine.

If it works, it's fine. Pulling the tubes and plugging them back in is a
normal troubleshooting procedure on AC sets, but it will ruin the filaments
of battery tubes. As I mentioned, intermittant contacts will burn out the
filaments in the same way. Cleaning the tube pins and sockets with contact
cleaner when you get the radio is a good idea. If you pull the chassis for
serviceing, putting a zener diode across the filament supply is another good
idea.

Frank Dresser