Old October 16th 03, 03:08 AM
elfa

Default Homemade AM ferrite antenna question

I want to try to make a homemade ferrite antenna to improve the AM reception on
an old radio. I can't find any place on the internet that gives a simple
explanation of the how to's. All I want to know is how many winds of copper
wire and what lead connects to what radio connection. And also, just the most
basic of antenna principals involved.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

elfa

Old October 16th 03, 01:27 PM
Diverd4777

Elfa:
- Tried looking here ??

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/

Dan

Old October 16th 03, 04:48 PM
Bill Hennessy

You can buy them wound and all from several places.

Bill, N5NOB

Old October 16th 03, 10:53 PM
RHF

ELFA,

I suggest that you first consider using a simple Box Loop Antenna.

Check-Out the "Loop Antennas" eGroup on YAHOO !

Also the new "Ferrite Rod Antenna Experimenters" eGroup on YAHOO !

~ RHF
..
..
= = = elfa

Old October 16th 03, 11:21 PM
elfa

In article , RHF says...

ELFA,

I suggest that you first consider using a simple Box Loop Antenna.

Appreciate the suggestion RHF, but this is for an electronic education I'm
trying to give myself. All I want to do is make a ferrite antenna myself to see
if I can actually do it.

elfa

Check-Out the "Loop Antennas" eGroup on YAHOO !

Also the new "Ferrite Rod Antenna Experimenters" eGroup on YAHOO !

~ RHF
.
.
= = = elfa

Old October 17th 03, 06:47 AM
donutbandit

elfa wrote in :

Appreciate the suggestion RHF, but this is for an electronic education
I'm trying to give myself. All I want to do is make a ferrite antenna
myself to see if I can actually do it.

Anybody can do it. All you need is a ferrite bar, some wire, and a little
bit of common sense.
Old October 17th 03, 12:15 PM
elfa

In article , donutbandit says...

elfa wrote in :

Appreciate the suggestion RHF, but this is for an electronic education
I'm trying to give myself. All I want to do is make a ferrite antenna
myself to see if I can actually do it.

Anybody can do it. All you need is a ferrite bar, some wire, and a little
bit of common sense.

Would you care to enlighten me? Are there a certain number of turns based on
length of ferrite bar?

elfa

Old October 18th 03, 09:24 PM
RHF

ELFA,

OK I will bite; here are a few questions:

Is this going to be a stand-a-lone 'external' AM/MW Ferrite Rod
Antenna (FRA) to be used with any radio/receiver ?
- These usually have a single winding and variable tuning capacitor.
- - They can be used by 'inductively coupling' them to Radios with a
built-in AM/MW FRA.
- - - They can be used by 'direct connection' to Receivers with
External Antenna Inputs (that lack a AM/MW FRA).
NOTE: Sometimes they are built with a 'connection' for an External
Antenna, and are used to 'couple' and 'tune' this External Antenna for
the AM/MW Band.

Or, is this going to be a unique 'internal' AM/MW Ferrite Rod Antenna
to be used as a 'replacement' for the existing FRA in a radio/receiver
that you already have ?
- Most of the time these have two windings and you will have to
closely examine the original FRA to determine your physical starting
points to build your replacement FRA for this specific radio/receiver.

WINDINGS:
- Number Windings both Primary and Secondary of the FRA.
- - Position of both sets of Windings on the FRA.
- - - Then you must start the trial and error process of
getting-it-right for that radio/receiver.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = elfa

Old October 19th 03, 04:57 AM
elfa

[...]

You're too far ahead of me RHF. I haven't a clue as to how they work. All I
wanted to do was just make one 2 times as big as on in a junk radio to see if I
can get stations better based on size of antenna. At this point, I can't find a
website that even explains windings etc.

elfa
.
.
= = = elfa

Old October 19th 03, 05:42 AM
--exray--

elfa wrote:

You're too far ahead of me RHF. I haven't a clue as to how they work. All I
wanted to do was just make one 2 times as big as on in a junk radio to see if I
can get stations better based on size of antenna. At this point, I can't find a
website that even explains windings etc.

elfa

Forget the ferrite and go for a big loop?
http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/

-Bill