Old October 16th 03, 11:08 AM
John T McDougald

Default Help! Recover from battery leakage..

Yesterday, I opened my radio to replace the batteries and discovered
that the battery on the memory slot had begun to corrode. It's a RadioShcak
DX 398 that's nearly brand new. The amount of corrosion doesn't appear to
be too bad. It's mainly on the ribbon used to remove the battery and some
acid crystals can be found on the two contacts in the single battery
compartment area.
How best can I clean and remove the acid without harming my radio
circuit? I was thinking about opening the backl of the radio and using a
baking soda/water concentration. Is there a better way and can I possibly
save the ribbon/ battery remover or is it toast?

Thanks Ahead,
John T McD.

Old October 16th 03, 01:48 PM
ROBMURR

that wouldnt happen to be a Duracell
battery that leaked would it?
I get camera equipment in all the time
damaged from them, much less so
on Energizers.
Old October 16th 03, 02:56 PM
Tony Meloche

John T McDougald wrote:

Yesterday, I opened my radio to replace the batteries and discovered
that the battery on the memory slot had begun to corrode. It's a RadioShcak
DX 398 that's nearly brand new. The amount of corrosion doesn't appear to
be too bad. It's mainly on the ribbon used to remove the battery and some
acid crystals can be found on the two contacts in the single battery
compartment area.
How best can I clean and remove the acid without harming my radio
circuit? I was thinking about opening the backl of the radio and using a
baking soda/water concentration. Is there a better way and can I possibly
save the ribbon/ battery remover or is it toast?

Thanks Ahead,
John T McD.

Pop into RS and buy a can of spray electrical contact cleaner (but
not any more batteries :) It's also available at auto parts stores,
etc. First, using the tip of a penknife blade, lightly scrape away any
and all corrosion
you can reach - be surgically delicate. Then use the spray contact
cleaner, assisted by any small, soft bristle brush you might have.
Don't worry about contact cleaner running out as a liquid - it's
formulated to be harmless to plastic and circuit board components.
Still, use sparingly as much as possible.
Patience will accomplish more than anything else here. You can try
cleaning up the little piece of acetate(?) ribbon, too, but it may be
toast. That's a minor
hassle in removing the batteries in the future, though.

It's worth noting that as far as power and length of life, Consumer's
Union tests say that all alkaline batteries are pretty much alike. But
I have had (rare) leakage problems with "off-brand" batteries - never
once with copper top or the bunny.

Tony

Old October 16th 03, 04:02 PM
Bob Parnass

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:56:01 -0400, Tony Meloche wrote:

..I have had (rare) leakage problems with "off-brand" batteries - never
once with copper top or the bunny.

Wish I were that lucky.
I've had Energizer, Duracell, Ray-O-Vac, Kodak Supra-Life,
Osco, and other alkaline batteries leak.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old October 16th 03, 10:33 PM
tommyknocker

Bob Parnass wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:56:01 -0400, Tony Meloche wrote:

..I have had (rare) leakage problems with "off-brand" batteries - never
once with copper top or the bunny.

Wish I were that lucky.
I've had Energizer, Duracell, Ray-O-Vac, Kodak Supra-Life,
Osco, and other alkaline batteries leak.

ALL alkaline batteries will leak (or "explode" as my dad eloquently
called it) under the right conditions. I used to collect transistor
radios, and I noticed that radios kept in garages or sheds or in other
places with temperature and humidity extremes were most likely to have
leaked batteries. I also noted that 9 volt batteries (what some of the
older folks here will know as a "transistor radio battery") are least
likely to leak.

Old October 17th 03, 02:32 AM
John T McDougald

Yes! as a matter of fact it was. Duracell ProCell to be specific. I'm
buying a set of Energizers tomorrow..

John T McD.

Old October 17th 03, 05:53 PM
Art Harris

"John T McDougald" wrote:
Yes! as a matter of fact it was. Duracell ProCell to be specific. I'm
buying a set of Energizers tomorrow..

Hold the phone! Doesn't Duracell have a warranty that if their batts
leak, they will cover any damage to your equipment? Save the leaky
batts, take pictures, and contact Duracell customer service. You may
get a new radio.

Art N2AH
Old October 18th 03, 01:09 AM
Beloved Leader

Bob Parnass wrote in message .. .

I've had Energizer, Duracell, Ray-O-Vac, Kodak Supra-Life,
Osco, and other alkaline batteries leak.

I scavenge my cells from the barrel at the city recycling center. I
have to agree.

Leakage from zinc-chloride, aka "heavy duty" cells, is bad news, as it
gobbles up traces on printed circuit boards. The electrolyte that
leaks from alkaline cells doesn't seem to hurt circuits at all. Just
wipe it off, and you're good to go.
Old October 18th 03, 02:45 AM
John T McDougald

Batteries are gone. Threw them away the other day. It's more of a hassell
to try and get the radio replaced. I am nearly certain that I caught the
leakage in time before any major damage was done.

John

"Art Harris" wrote in message
m...

Old October 21st 03, 06:20 PM
Yourfatassaunt

bummer. household ammonia should help.

Alinco DR-600T Backup Battery Tommy Martin Equipment 4 May 3rd 04 05:12 AM
Lithium Battery Leakage? Ben Equipment 4 February 22nd 04 08:55 PM
Lithium Battery Leakage? Ben Equipment 0 February 22nd 04 03:45 PM
Are Alincos Throw-Away Radios? (Finding a DJ-C5 Battery) Steve Wolf Equipment 36 February 19th 04 02:51 PM
Are Alincos Throw-Away Radios? (Finding a DJ-C5 Battery) Steve Wolf Equipment 0 February 16th 04 07:47 PM