Old October 16th 03, 12:34 PM
Diverd4777

Default KE9OA's High Performance MW Receiver

Hi Pete, Sounds like you've been Real Busy..!

My thoughts? Get release 1.0 out the door when feaseable,
with a list of " Features for release 1.1" to add in later .

Loopstick for $125 - 150 sounds great.
It's gotta compete with the other sets out there.

Try not to get stuck in " The Second System Syndrome" where you try to put
Every feature in ..( Thats usually my downfall )

Tone controls & a nice sound are important.
Car DSP sounds Brilliant !!

- Go ! !

Dan

In article , "Pete
KE9OA" writes:

Hi folks,
Things have been going a million miles an hour! Right now, I
am working on a low noise VCO design, with a tracking filter at the output.
I have also been looking at a dual conversion chipset that Phillips came out
with for the auto radio industry. These devices are used in the Cambridge
Audio Model T500 FM/AM Tuner. Performance is pretty amazing on the MW band,
although FM sounds like every other tuner, which isn't bad. They are using a
DSP for the final demodulation process.
Also, I am working on an active loopstick antenna. I was able to locate a
source of 8 inch ferrite rod stock, for only $1.50 each. Elna is the
supplier, distributing rod stock that Phillips manufacturers. I am testing
some of that stock that has a mu of 900. I think that this should yield a
nice high Q coil. Another thing that I want to do is have the loop tiltable,
like the Palomar loop, except that this will be a shielded design. I am
thinking about 125 to 150 dollars for the antenna; what are your thoughts?

Old October 17th 03, 06:15 AM
Pete KE9OA

I think that the Philips TEA6810 might do the trick for the front
end.............dynamic range is good, and the synthesizer is built into the
chip. A single conversion line up at 10.7MHz, going into an Analog Devices
AD607 could work, but this would only give Sync AM reception. Does this
sound like something that would work for you folks? If so, I will work on
designing a good 6-pole crystal filter. I just need to see how the whole
system will integrate together.
Later this morning, I will be winding the loopstick, and installing it into
the shield assembly. I should have a working prototype up and running today.

Pete