Old October 17th 03, 04:17 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

Default KE9OA's High Performance MW Receiver

Hello, Pete!

Well, good news, indeed!
YES, sync detection is important.
I think my priorities would be as
follows:

1. QUIET front - end. No synthesizer noise.
2. GOOD filter(S). If you I can only have one,
6 KHz with tight skirts would be very good.
3. GOOD audio. That doesn't have to be expensive.
4. The aforementioned Synchronous Detection.
Reading your words about having a Synch.
Detector that "follows the signal down into
the noise" makes me grin from ear to ear!

I think that, with a quiet front end, my unamplified
four - foot loop will do wonders. I am, from time to
time, plagued with noise, so I think a part of the
design philosophy should be a quiet synthesizer design.
That, coupled with a good passive antenna, makes for
some really easy listening. I've learned from Mark
Connelly and John Doty that signal to noise ratio is
everything!

VY 73s,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN
(Posting from work via Google, so this might not show
up for a couple of days)
Old October 18th 03, 12:05 PM
Pete KE9OA

It sure will! It will be available to anybody who wants it!
I just talked to my Analog Devices rep about getting ahold of an eval board
for the AD607; I already have one for the AD831 high level mixer. I've got
some samples of the Philips TEA6810, but I am not sure if that will do
anything other than 9 and 10kHz steps, so I may go with the Analog Devices
unit for the mixer, along with an Analog Devices PLL. I remember that some
of their devices had a pretty quiet phase detector, with a spec
around -152dBc.
I am still working on the details of the spectrum analyzer portion of the
receiver, and I still have to work on the crystal
filter.................maybe Temec will have a good off the shelf filter.
PTI does have them, but their price for a 8-pole unit is around 150 dollars.
PDI, up in Delevan, Wisconsin, might also have something.
I think that this will be a cool unit. The reps have been pretty excited
about the project, telling me things like "get me one, once it becomes
available". This will be a good thing.

Pete

grumpus wrote in message
m...
(Stephen M.H. Lawrence) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

Hey Pete, if this project comes to fruition, will it be available to
us pilgrims out here in the hinters?

Regards,

Grumpus