Old October 29th 03, 10:26 PM
DJB

Default Radioshack DX-160

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement part (variable capacitor) for
the Antenna Trim (I think its C77, 100 pf) on the above swl receiver?

Thanx,

Dave

Old October 29th 03, 10:55 PM
Harris

DJB wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement part (variable capacitor) for
the Antenna Trim (I think its C77, 100 pf) on the above swl receiver?

I doubt you'll find an exact replacement. Try a local hamfest or
electronics store. Look for something that can be adapted mechanically.
The capacitance value isn't that critical, so if you find a 200 pf cap,
grab it.

Art N2AH

Old October 30th 03, 12:08 AM
starman

DJB wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement part (variable capacitor) for
the Antenna Trim (I think its C77, 100 pf) on the above swl receiver?

Thanx,

Dave

Is your antenna cap' damaged or missing?

Old October 30th 03, 04:57 AM
Judah Smith

I have a DX-160. I love mine. I bought it from a gentalman who fixed
it up (realigned/recapped...etc) and added the audio mod. It's a
great old analog radio. A lot of fun to fiddle with, although the
tuning (bandspread) gave me fits at first.

Old October 30th 03, 08:33 AM
starman

DJB wrote:

It's damaged. It just turns freely.

Dave

You mean the shaft turns but the capacitor plates don't? I'll take a
look at the antenna trimmer cap' on my DX-160 to see what might have
gone wrong with yours.

Old October 30th 03, 08:43 AM
RP Jones

Been a wile 1977 since I played with a 160
I believe these antenna trimmer does spin 360 (not like a pot, or tuner
cap) .....does it function ?

-RP

Old October 30th 03, 09:47 AM
starman

RP Jones wrote:

Been a wile 1977 since I played with a 160
I believe these antenna trimmer does spin 360 (not like a pot, or tuner
cap) .....does it function ?

-RP

I hadn't considered the possibility that he thinks the antenna trimmer
control is broken because it turns all the way around. That's what it's
supposed to do, since there is no stop on the shaft. It's different from
the main tuning or bandspread control which have a stop position at each
end of their rotation range.
To use the antenna trimmer control, tune to a particular band or station
and rotate the antenna trimmer knob until you get the highest reading on
the signal strength meter.

Old October 30th 03, 09:55 AM
Brenda Ann

"starman" wrote in message
To use the antenna trimmer control, tune to a particular band or station
and rotate the antenna trimmer knob until you get the highest reading on
the signal strength meter.

Yes, and since depending upon your antenna and the frequency you are trying
to receive, the trimmer may have little or no effect, this could be a reason
he believes it is broken as well.

Old October 30th 03, 10:33 AM
DJB

From what I see turning 360 Deg. a couple of times either way doesn't affect