Old October 31st 03, 02:22 AM
gil

Default Effects of solar storm on VHF

Just wondered if the VHF frequencies get affected same as HF during the
solar flareups?

Gil
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old October 31st 03, 04:58 AM
starman

gil wrote:

Just wondered if the VHF frequencies get affected same as HF during the
solar flareups?

Gil

In general, HF reception becomes very poor while VHF can be enhanced.
This is why the amateur radio people like to do 2-meter (VHF) DX'ing
during a geomagnetic storm with an aurora.

Old October 31st 03, 01:42 PM
Ken Maltz

Last night (Thursday) I was receiving VHF aero comms on 128 - 134 MHz from
about 200 miles out here on Long Island, NY.
Ken Maltz
Syosset, NY
NRD-535D, Collins R-388, Racal RA6790/GM,
Panasonic RF-2200, Sony ICF-7600GR,
Hoka Code3 Gold-Pro, 60' long wire, MLB balun
Old October 31st 03, 04:48 PM
Harris

Ken Maltz wrote:
Last night (Thursday) I was receiving VHF aero comms on 128 - 134 MHz from
about 200 miles out here on Long Island, NY.
Ken Maltz
Syosset, NY

That's normal. How about ground based stuff?

Art N2AH
Kings Park, NY
Old October 31st 03, 09:19 PM
Mark Keith

Tom Randy wrote in message ...
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:58:17 -0500, starman wrote:

6 was supposed to be open a bit last night, all I heard when I checked was
a beacon, K2ZD/B. I heard it from the Hudson Valley of N.Y.

It finally opened up half decent here last night. "Houston". Heard a
few Hawaii stations. Quite a few stateside also. But the long haul
stuff seemed to be doing the best. The KH6's were blasting thru fairly
well. MK

Old November 1st 03, 05:42 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Mark Keith wrote:
Tom Randy wrote in message ...

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:58:17 -0500, starman wrote:

6 was supposed to be open a bit last night, all I heard when I checked was
a beacon, K2ZD/B. I heard it from the Hudson Valley of N.Y.

It finally opened up half decent here last night. "Houston". Heard a
few Hawaii stations. Quite a few stateside also. But the long haul
stuff seemed to be doing the best. The KH6's were blasting thru fairly
well. MK

Hawaiians were reported strong on 50MHz as close to me as Memphis -
unfortunately I was at work at the time!

Channel 2 TV from Honolulu was definitely logged in Vancouver. There is
evidence to suggest the same station was seen in Shreveport and the
Lower Rio Grande Valley in extreme south Texas.

Propagation characteristics almost seem like a cross between Es and F2.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old November 1st 03, 12:33 PM
Mark Keith

Doug Smith W9WI wrote in message ...
Mark Keith wrote:
Tom Randy wrote in message ...

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:58:17 -0500, starman wrote:

6 was supposed to be open a bit last night, all I heard when I checked was
a beacon, K2ZD/B. I heard it from the Hudson Valley of N.Y.

It finally opened up half decent here last night. "Houston". Heard a
few Hawaii stations. Quite a few stateside also. But the long haul
stuff seemed to be doing the best. The KH6's were blasting thru fairly
well. MK

Hawaiians were reported strong on 50MHz as close to me as Memphis -
unfortunately I was at work at the time!

Channel 2 TV from Honolulu was definitely logged in Vancouver. There is
evidence to suggest the same station was seen in Shreveport and the
Lower Rio Grande Valley in extreme south Texas.

Propagation characteristics almost seem like a cross between Es and F2.

Dang...Didn't even think to look at the tv...It's kind of a hassle, as
I have to unhook the cable, etc...The KH6's seemed pretty F layerish.
Real steady for long periods of time. Almost like 10m. Some of the
stateside stuff might have been e layer. MK
Old November 1st 03, 02:36 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Mark Keith wrote:
Dang...Didn't even think to look at the tv...It's kind of a hassle, as
I have to unhook the cable, etc...The KH6's seemed pretty F layerish.
Real steady for long periods of time. Almost like 10m. Some of the
stateside stuff might have been e layer. MK

See, I *knew* there was a good reason I don't have cablegrin!

The Vancouver DXer was certain the opening was double-hop Es.

The E and F layers are both ionized layers of the upper atmosphere that
refrace radio signals. It's already accepted that a F1 layer merges
with F2 at certain times - my question is whether maybe both F layers
merge, at least partially, with the E layer on rare occasions. The
immense magnetic storm we've experienced would certainly seem capable of
triggering unusual effects.

The Texas and Louisiana reporters did feel the signals had F-layer
characteristics - severe multipath (much easier to detect with TV
signals than with SSB!) and a relatively stable MUF within the TV channel.

Given the difference in locations and latitudes, I suppose it's possible
there was double-hop Es and F2 at the same time!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com

Big solar storm will hit Earth Friday (today) starman Shortwave 3 October 25th 03 06:09 AM
Solar storm Steveo CB 0 October 24th 03 03:03 PM
Solar storm headed for Earth, may trash bands Robert Casey Dx 6 October 24th 03 12:35 AM
Solar storm headed for Earth, may trash bands Robert Casey Dx 0 October 23rd 03 10:03 PM
The shortwave broadcasting infrastruture : one really bad solar storm, and all sattilite communication could be off for 6 months! http://CBC.am/ Shortwave 2 August 28th 03 04:31 AM