Old November 7th 03, 08:17 PM
Ron Hardin

Default Bose noise-cancelling headphones

The new model is maybe slightly quieter than the original - hard to
say. It's not less quiet anyway. The improvement perceived might
just be a difference in the age of the cups, I don't know.

The _great_ advantage is there is no cord if you don't plug in a cord,
so you can use them for quiet without catching a cord on things. They
also seem lighter. On the other hand, you can lose the cord, I bet.

I used the old chiefly as a lawnmower deadener. The new should work
better for that.

New uses 1 AAA, old used 2.
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 7th 03, 10:10 PM
Diverd4777

If they did this, block out loud transient noises,

might they also block out Neighbors loud music ??

THAT I would buy . . .

Old November 7th 03, 10:13 PM
Ron Hardin

Joe Strain wrote:

Can you use them at the pistol range for LOUD transient-noise supporession ?

I don't see any warning that they can't be, but I'd write Bose
and find out. It seems unlikely to me that they'd work unless there
some super power transducer in the things, and I don't think you'd
want such a thing near your ears in case the circuitry went beserk,
or it started picking up the microwave cooking something (it picks
up AC hum from the magnetron from quite a distance, but only quietly).
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 7th 03, 10:31 PM
Ron Hardin

Diverd4777 wrote:

If they did this, block out loud transient noises,

might they also block out Neighbors loud music ??

THAT I would buy . . .

They're good on teenage car bass thump suppression. Try it and see. If you're
not happy, return it, says their site http://www.bose.com

It's more a question whether you're happy with the considerable reduction
you get, or not.

The old model is a hundred dollars off, though I'd get the new one if it
were me, just for the cable-less advantage.
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 7th 03, 11:43 PM
the captain

AAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH !!
the captain would need to speak to a banker before spending $300 on
these babies !

Old November 8th 03, 02:36 AM
matt weber

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:00:15 GMT, "Joe Strain"
wrote:

Can you use them at the pistol range for LOUD transient-noise supporession ?
Yodar

Not very useful. There are two limitations in the technology.
1). It is most effective against continuous noise. Impulse type noise
is more difficult to deal with. That is one of the reasons they work
so well on aircraft, and high end units use very advanced 'predictive'
cancellation to aciheve electronic cancellation in the 18-22db range
(and it works quite well, I have a Telex ANR-1D headset, and it truly
silences the prop noise in a light aircraft. (Between active and
passive cancellation 40db, so it takes a real racket (about 102db) and
reduces it to about 62db. The biggest problem is often remember to
speak up enough to turn on the Intercom

2). Noise canellation can work only as long as the distance between
mic and headset is small compared to wavelength. The net effect is
that the effectiveness of noise cancellation falls off very rapidly
past about 1Khz.

Old November 8th 03, 06:03 AM
pete

American airlines is giving away a pair of these 'phones if you book 4
flights between now and March, 2004.
http://www.aa.com/headset

Old November 8th 03, 09:27 AM
Ron Hardin

pete wrote:

American airlines is giving away a pair of these 'phones if you book 4
flights between now and March, 2004.
http://www.aa.com/headset

I bet a quarter they're the old model with the cord that Bose sells
for $199 ``while they last''

They're fine but have a cord. I notice that even with the uncorded model
I'm still very careful getting up not to tangle anything, a habit I
didn't know I had developed but apparently did. You notice it when
you check for a cord you can't find.
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 10th 03, 02:22 PM
Wayne Riedesel

Reading these posts about cordless headphones reminded me I had a pair of
Koss phones (JCK 200/S) in the closet. I dug them out hooked it up and
switched it to mono, and since my "shack" is in the bedroom I can lay on the
bed and listen to my favorite SW programs. It's nice to discover a new use
for something old.

Wayne
Icom IC-R75
Icom IC-R70 (sick)
RS DX-398

Ron Hardin wrote in message
pete wrote:

American airlines is giving away a pair of these 'phones if you book 4
flights between now and March, 2004.
http://www.aa.com/headset

I bet a quarter they're the old model with the cord that Bose sells
lastfor $199 ``while they ''