Old November 14th 03, 12:26 AM
tommyknocker

Default Source of mysterious noise FOUND!

I finally got off my fat ass and decided to locate the source of the
data-sounding signal blocking my HF reception. A quick tour of the
premises with my DX398 revealed that the noise was only present in the
computer room/ham shack (yeah, my luck). But unplugging the computer and
peripherals didn't help. So I turned off the VERY EXPENSIVE surge
protector that the computer plugs in to, and the noise went away. Turn
the surge protector back on, and the noise starts up again. I don't want
to shell out the $$$ for a new surge protector, so I'll just have to
turn it off when I listen/DX. But why wasn't it doing it prior to about
two months ago? Maybe I should buy another one...

Old November 14th 03, 01:38 AM
Stinger

Our local Sam's Club has APC 1100's for $89.00. They're capable of
protecting a LOT of equipment, but overkill for just one radio.

-- Stinger
"tommyknocker" wrote in message

Subject: Source of mysterious noise FOUND!
From: tommyknocker
Date: 11/13/2003 6:26 PM Central Standard Time
I finally got off my fat ass and decided to locate the source of the
data-sounding signal blocking my HF reception. A quick tour of the
premises with my DX398 revealed that the noise was only present in the
computer room/ham shack (yeah, my luck). But unplugging the computer

and
peripherals didn't help. So I turned off the VERY EXPENSIVE surge
protector that the computer plugs in to, and the noise went away. Turn
the surge protector back on, and the noise starts up again. I don't

want
to shell out the $$$ for a new surge protector, so I'll just have to
turn it off when I listen/DX. But why wasn't it doing it prior to about
two months ago? Maybe I should buy another one...

It more than likely took a hit (surge) and something inside fried/died.

I had a
new in the box top of the line Tripp Lite fail upon opening it and

plugging it
in for the first time. Turned out to be a faulty solder joint. Quick

repair and
has worked for several years since.

Guess it's off to Fry's (electronics store) in the morning to buy a new
one. Mine's a Belkin and I've had it for about a year, but it's only
been doing this for a little under two months apparently.

Les Locklear
Gulfport, Ms.

Old November 14th 03, 03:24 AM
Diverd4777

Hi Tom:
Yep, Time to buy another Surge Protector . . .

Had a freind who's computer suddenly stopped.
Everything just suddenly died.
Monitor, CPU, Printer.
Checked the socket with a light,
all OK.
Opened up the Surge Protector & found some badly fried stuff;
Slivery stuff in little spheres, etc.
$19.95 Surge protector probably saved him $500 !

Good to have a portable around to find these things out..!

Dan ( R-75, Sangean 606A, Jwin JX-M14 )

Old November 14th 03, 03:35 AM
tommyknocker

Stinger wrote:

Our local Sam's Club has APC 1100's for $89.00. They're capable of
protecting a LOT of equipment, but overkill for just one radio.

I'm not a member. This particular surge protector is hooked to all my
computer equipment plus a clock, a shredder and a phone. I have a
cheapie surge protector that's hooked solely to my Yaesu; I use the
switch to turn off the power when I'm not using it since the chips are
real sensitive to power fluctuations.

Old November 14th 03, 03:44 AM
Mark S. Holden

tommyknocker wrote:

Stinger wrote:

Our local Sam's Club has APC 1100's for $89.00. They're capable of
protecting a LOT of equipment, but overkill for just one radio.

I'm not a member. This particular surge protector is hooked to all my
computer equipment plus a clock, a shredder and a phone. I have a
cheapie surge protector that's hooked solely to my Yaesu; I use the
switch to turn off the power when I'm not using it since the chips are
real sensitive to power fluctuations.

I'd take the shredder off the surge protector.
Old November 14th 03, 03:55 AM
Gray Shockley

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:26:06 -0600, tommyknocker wrote
(in message ):

I finally got off my fat ass and decided to locate the source of the
data-sounding signal blocking my HF reception. A quick tour of the
premises with my DX398 revealed that the noise was only present in the
computer room/ham shack (yeah, my luck). But unplugging the computer and
peripherals didn't help. So I turned off the VERY EXPENSIVE surge
protector that the computer plugs in to, and the noise went away. Turn
the surge protector back on, and the noise starts up again.

Uh, you did try that with nothing plugged into the surge protector?

I don't want
to shell out the $$$ for a new surge protector, so I'll just have to
turn it off when I listen/DX. But why wasn't it doing it prior to about
two months ago?

It may have taken a hit fairly recently.

Maybe I should buy another one...

It's lots easier to replace surge suppressors than computers.

Gray Shockley
--------------------------
Entropy Maintenance Technician
Tao Chemical Company
--------------------------

http://www.cybercoffee.org/
Vicksburg, Mississippi US

Old November 14th 03, 03:59 AM
Gray Shockley

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:35:20 -0600, tommyknocker wrote
(in message ):

Stinger wrote:

Our local Sam's Club has APC 1100's for $89.00. They're capable of
protecting a LOT of equipment, but overkill for just one radio.

I'm not a member. This particular surge protector is hooked to all my
computer equipment plus a clock, a shredder and a phone.

A shredder?

I can't cite anyone else but I sure wouldn't hook something with a motor up
to the same serge suppresser to which I have computer and phone equipment.

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio w/RS Loop
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old November 14th 03, 05:50 AM
Ron Hardin

A UPS is a nice replacement for a surge protector if there's a computer
on it. However UPSs do create birdies, if the antenna is local to
the area.

A multiple power fail can really screw the data on your hard drive
as the second one hits the computer in a vulnerable state at restart;
which a UPS prevents. At most it turns off once when the battery runs
down.

That's a software hit more than a hardware hit that you're protecting
yourself from.

I have all my radios on a UPS too, but the antennas are not near the
UPS.
--
Ron Hardin