Old November 23rd 03, 04:33 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Default more WBCQ interference

After I wrote my previous message about interference on 7.415, I turned to 5.105
and found some sort of buzzing interference on that frequency as well. At 0200
UTC it was happening every few minutes for a few seconds, and over the course of
an hour it became more frequent and toward 0300 the duration began to increase
as well. Is someone trying to jam them, or is it just coincidence that there's
some type of signal on both frequencies? The signal on 7.415 is very
high-pitched and sounds like it could be some sort of data signal. The signal
on 5.105 just sounds like noise, unless it's some sort of broadband radar.

Old November 23rd 03, 02:59 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "Jim Shaffer, Jr."
writes:

After I wrote my previous message about interference on 7.415, I turned to
5.105
and found some sort of buzzing interference on that frequency as well. At
0200
UTC it was happening every few minutes for a few seconds, and over the course
of
an hour it became more frequent and toward 0300 the duration began to
increase
as well. Is someone trying to jam them, or is it just coincidence that
there's
some type of signal on both frequencies? The signal on 7.415 is very
high-pitched and sounds like it could be some sort of data signal. The
signal
on 5.105 just sounds like noise, unless it's some sort of broadband radar.

5.105 moved their signal once because of some Morse Code data type
transmissions;
- maybe That signal moved too!

7415 is ( for me in NYC) getting interference from Radio Botswana..
and suffers from crummy propagation after 01:00

Old November 24th 03, 03:44 AM
WShoots1

On the other hand, the signal on 7.415 sounds like a really really fast
teletype, but it only comes in bursts of a few seconds.

Could that be SITOR?

Bill, K5BY
Old November 24th 03, 12:11 PM
Diverd4777

-More Strange propagation

At 03:00 UTC I was listening to 7.415 WBCQ & John Lightning;listening to Called
- in Conspiracy Theories & Michael Jackson Jokes, on a faint signal when the
broadcast changed to military -type music.
repeated three times, then annnounced it was "VOA Africa"

Dan

Old November 24th 03, 12:51 PM
N8KDV

Diverd4777 wrote:

-More Strange propagation

At 03:00 UTC I was listening to 7.415 WBCQ & John Lightning;listening to Called
- in Conspiracy Theories & Michael Jackson Jokes, on a faint signal when the
broadcast changed to military -type music.
repeated three times, then annnounced it was "VOA Africa"

Dan

Nothing strange about that. The VOA signs on 7415 at 0300.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old November 24th 03, 02:23 PM
Diverd4777

Steve:
Yes, at 0300, On The Other Side Of The World
VOA, Via Botswana fires up its Transmitters;
The transmitters, 100 KW, in Gaborone, Botswana,

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/worldwise/d.../www00028.html

(a " Must I Travel THERE ?! " type place from the look of it,
major exports being Hepatitis & Polio )

are actuallly closer to The South Pole than Rural Maine, where WBCQ's 50K watt
transmitters are located.

Just Found it odd that this ionospheric condition occured...

Dan

Old November 24th 03, 05:04 PM
N8KDV

Diverd4777 wrote:

Steve:
Yes, at 0300, On The Other Side Of The World
VOA, Via Botswana fires up its Transmitters;
The transmitters, 100 KW, in Gaborone, Botswana,

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/worldwise/d.../www00028.html

(a " Must I Travel THERE ?! " type place from the look of it,
major exports being Hepatitis & Polio )

are actuallly closer to The South Pole than Rural Maine, where WBCQ's 50K watt
transmitters are located.

Just Found it odd that this ionospheric condition occured...

Dan

I guess you've got to realise that at times you are going to wind up in WBCQ's skip
zone ( I think you are in NY) as the band goes 'long'. At that time, VOA's signal
is sure to come in over WBCQ's signal. Happens here from time to time, though many
times I am able to hear VOA underneath WBCQ no matter what.