Old November 26th 03, 09:06 PM
Peter

Default Drake R8-B

I have a question about this radio.
If I plug the AC jack in the wall and I have the 12 volt connection hooked
up to a battery as a power failure backup will it damage the radio? Is there
an internal switch to protect it from both sources being connected at the
same time?

Thanks

Pierre

Old November 26th 03, 09:31 PM
Ron Hardin

Peter wrote:

I have a question about this radio.
If I plug the AC jack in the wall and I have the 12 volt connection hooked
up to a battery as a power failure backup will it damage the radio? Is there
an internal switch to protect it from both sources being connected at the
same time?

I don't know. But I run mine on 12v all the time. The R8B runs extremely cool
if you do that; you can even stack things on it then.
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 26th 03, 10:44 PM
Telamon

In article
e.rogers.com,
"Peter" wrote:

I have a question about this radio. If I plug the AC jack in the wall
and I have the 12 volt connection hooked up to a battery as a power
failure backup will it damage the radio? Is there an internal switch
to protect it from both sources being connected at the same time?

I looked at the manual and could not find a definitive answer to your
question. I would not try this until you get an answer from Drake
support.

Phone: 937-746-6990
Email

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 27th 03, 12:44 AM
Peter

Thanks, I think I will call them to make sure
'

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article
e.rogers.com,

Old November 27th 03, 01:25 AM
David

The 13 Volt input connects (through a diode) to the DC rail in the
Power Supply, upstream from all the regulators, downstream from the
full wave bridge. It is always connected.

The regulators would draw power from both the AC/transformer/bridge
and from the battery/diode if both were hooked up.

Old November 27th 03, 07:51 AM
Mike Lindo

Interesting question! When you find out, let us all know.

--
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle
behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"Peter" wrote in message
news
Thanks, I think I will call them to make sure
'

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article
e.rogers.com,

Old November 27th 03, 04:30 PM
Peter

I got a response from Drake this morning. Here it is:

"There is a diode switch to protect each area so there should be no problem.
Shane "

I tried it and it seems to work fine.

Pierre

Old November 28th 03, 12:10 AM
RadioGuy

Peter wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
I have a question about this radio.
If I plug the AC jack in the wall and I have the 12 volt connection hooked
up to a battery as a power failure backup will it damage the radio? Is

there
an internal switch to protect it from both sources being connected at the
same time?

Thanks

Pierre

Shouldn't be any problem... Drake told me years back to put a big battery on
those terminals to act as back-up power supply for my R8B. Down here in the
lightning capital of the US we routinely pull the plugs, antennas and
grounds from our gear to keep it from getting damaged by lightning
discharges. The @#!&*# Drake R8B does not have any internal power back-up
so to keep from having to reset the clock every time the plug is pulled an
external power supply is needed. The current draw on battery during standby
is about 0.64 amp so size a battery accordingly. Why Drake couldn't have
put an internal back-up battery for the clock escapes me---then again, the
R8B is a half-baked receiver anyway!

RG

Old November 28th 03, 12:13 AM
N8KDV

RadioGuy wrote:

Peter wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
[...]

Half-baked?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Drake... When you care enough to listen with the best!

Old November 28th 03, 03:53 AM
HFguy

N8KDV wrote:

RadioGuy wrote:

[...]