Old November 30th 03, 12:48 AM
RadioGuy

Default RN: End Of The Happy Station?

Radio Netherlands 'On Target ' received this date.

Excerpt from front page:

New Times, Anticipating Change

"...At Radio Netherlands we're doing just that by making a number of major
changes to our programme schedule and transmission pattern at the start of
the new season..."

RG

Old November 30th 03, 01:23 PM
RadioGuy

philly45 wrote in message
hlink.net...
Will Radio Netherlands be ending their broadcasts to the East Coast of the
US?

Still broadcasting to East Coast North America but with weird hours and
frequencies; 1 hour progarams on weekdays, 1.5 hours on weekends (weird
frequencies) and repeat broadcasts.

North America schedule:
http://www.rnw.nl/en/html/northamerica.html

Internet 'On Target':
http://www.rnw.nl/en/

Worldwide frequencies and broadcast times Autumn-Winter season 2003-04:
http://www.rnw.nl/en/html/tuning_in.html

RG

Old December 1st 03, 02:57 AM
tommyknocker

RadioGuy wrote:

philly45 wrote in message
hlink.net...
Will Radio Netherlands be ending their broadcasts to the East Coast of the
US?

Still broadcasting to East Coast North America but with weird hours and
frequencies; 1 hour progarams on weekdays, 1.5 hours on weekends (weird
frequencies) and repeat broadcasts.

I believe that the East Coast broadcast is at 0000 on 9845. I know that
Spain for one has their sole NAm broadcast on at the same time, so I
listen to the West Coast stream at 0400 on either 6165 or 9590 (although
I find that 6165 has less fading). I'm in California, so this works out.
I'm not sure what is weird about this; RN broadcasts are timed to be at
8pm local time in each time spot (East, Central and West).

Old December 2nd 03, 12:35 AM
RadioGuy

tommyknocker wrote in message
RadioGuy wrote:

philly45 wrote in message
hlink.net...
Will Radio Netherlands be ending their broadcasts to the East Coast of

the
US?

Still broadcasting to East Coast North America but with weird hours and
frequencies; 1 hour progarams on weekdays, 1.5 hours on weekends (weird
frequencies) and repeat broadcasts.

I believe that the East Coast broadcast is at 0000 on 9845. I know that
Spain for one has their sole NAm broadcast on at the same time, so I
listen to the West Coast stream at 0400 on either 6165 or 9590 (although
I find that 6165 has less fading). I'm in California, so this works out.
I'm not sure what is weird about this; RN broadcasts are timed to be at
8pm local time in each time spot (East, Central and West).

Howdy:

What's I found weird is dropping their 1.5 hour brodcast to 1 hour weekdays
and running a 1.5 hour broadcast on Saturday and Sunday. I am not
considering their 1200U and 0400U broadcasts.

The 1 hour weekday broadcast begins at 0000U on 9845; what I found unusual
is a repeat broadcast at 0100U on 6165. I got into the habit of tuning into
RN at 2330U for their 1.5 hour broadcast on 9845 or 6195 kHz for years.

Unusual for me is the 1.5 hour broadcast at 1900U on Saturday and Sunday on
15315, 17725, and 17810 kHz---I don't much recollect tuning RN on those
channels at those times before.

The fact of the matter is that RN is suffering from budget cutbacks and it
is being reflected in their new schedule. It's sad, RN was a great
broadcaster with wonderful programming and staffed with good folks but times
are changing---thus my original post.

As the headline of 'On Target' aptly stated, "New Times, Anticipating
Change".

RG

Old December 2nd 03, 02:39 AM
ChGeor9

I believe that the East Coast broadcast is at 0000 on 9845. I know that
Spain for one has their sole NAm broadcast on at the same time

You mean in English, since they can be heard most of the day in Spanish, at
least here in Dallas. I miss their second edition they use to have at 0500 UTC.

Old December 2nd 03, 02:46 AM
ChGeor9

'm not sure what is weird about this; RN broadcasts are timed to be at
8pm local time in each time spot

The first broadcast tends to be when people are still coming home from work, at
least here in Dallas. I do not usually listen to the radio until I have had
time to rest and eat dinner. The other broadcast is after I have to go to bed
and get to work. The morning edition is on when many already are leaving for
work.
I think the evening transmission should start either an hour later for the
first eveing transmission or the the other about an hour earlier.
Often I find that I listen to them to practive my Spanish and see how they
cover stories differently than REE or RHC.
I often like hearing the BBC African Service since they put a spin on stories
different than that aimed at others in the World Service.

Charles George
Old December 2nd 03, 06:50 PM
tommyknocker

RadioGuy wrote:

tommyknocker wrote in message
RadioGuy wrote:

philly45 wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Ah, ok.

The 1 hour weekday broadcast begins at 0000U on 9845; what I found unusual
is a repeat broadcast at 0100U on 6165. I got into the habit of tuning into
RN at 2330U for their 1.5 hour broadcast on 9845 or 6195 kHz for years.

I know that Spain used to have three broadcasts for NAm at 0000, 0100
and 0400 for Eastern, Central and Western time zones respectively. Maybe
RN has the same idea. And yes, I know that after the change back to
Standard Time I was baffled to not find RN on 9845 at 2330; I had to
look on their website for the new schedule since Passport 2004 wasn't
out yet.

Unusual for me is the 1.5 hour broadcast at 1900U on Saturday and Sunday on
15315, 17725, and 17810 kHz---I don't much recollect tuning RN on those
channels at those times before.

The fact of the matter is that RN is suffering from budget cutbacks and it
is being reflected in their new schedule. It's sad, RN was a great
broadcaster with wonderful programming and staffed with good folks but times
are changing---thus my original post.

I don't think that RN will completely go away like Radio Swiss Intl or
cut out NAm freqs like BBC and DW, but they may get down to only one or
two broadcasts to NAm a day like Spain.

Keep in mind that "budget cutbacks" is different from "arrogant liberal
morons running things" like the BBC or "stupid meddling politician
problems" like VOA.

Old December 2nd 03, 06:54 PM
tommyknocker

ChGeor9 wrote:

'm not sure what is weird about this; RN broadcasts are timed to be at
8pm local time in each time spot

The first broadcast tends to be when people are still coming home from work, at
least here in Dallas. I do not usually listen to the radio until I have had
time to rest and eat dinner. The other broadcast is after I have to go to bed
and get to work. The morning edition is on when many already are leaving for
work.
I think the evening transmission should start either an hour later for the
first eveing transmission or the the other about an hour earlier.
Often I find that I listen to them to practive my Spanish and see how they
cover stories differently than REE or RHC.

I need to do that. I haven't taken a Spanish class for ten years, and I
was thinking of taking Spanish at my local community college to improve
it, but the colleges are suffering under deep budget cuts and I don't
want to take a space that could go to a 19 year old who really needs the
class.

I often like hearing the BBC African Service since they put a spin on stories
different than that aimed at others in the World Service.

What's their times and freqs? I know that I can get several big African
relays during the day.

Charles George

Old December 3rd 03, 04:09 AM
ChGeor9

I need to do that. I haven't taken a Spanish class for ten years, and I
was thinking of taking Spanish at my local community college to improve
it, but the colleges are suffering under deep budget cuts and I don't
want to take a space that could go to a 19 year old who really needs the
class.

I believe in Affirmative Action, if you want to do it I affirm you take the
action to go, besides what makes you think a 19-year-old should be entitled, he
might not study as hard as you. I found I made btter grades when I went back
in my 30s than when I was just out of highschool.

What's their times and freqs? I know that I can get several big African
relays during the day.

The one I have heard most often in the evening is 9600 and 6005. I also have
heard one in the 25 mb but am not sure now which one.

Charles George

P. S. I find that in the Spanish Service of Radio Nederlands they cover stories
they don't cover in their English transmissions, since they cover stories that
they will appeal to their target audience.

WMLT radio station celebrates 60 years Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 January 5th 05 05:43 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement Letters for the Period Ending May 1, 2004 private General 0 May 10th 04 09:39 PM
FS: Palomar 225 Pack Rat CB 12 September 16th 03 06:43 PM
I also need Diy plans for a 300 watt linear BR549 CB 2 September 16th 03 06:37 PM