Old December 1st 03, 10:16 PM
Miha Rus

Default ATS 606 - Siemens RK 759

My radio has been exposed to moisture on my trip to Canada. It hasn't worked
well since. It is operating OK, only that the command tend not to respond to
pressure. I do not dare to open the set while I have been told it's quite
intricate a thing. I can see small water drops on the internal side of the
display window. It seems that after been put into warm on on the very top
position some water has apparently evaporated. Does anybody has an idea?

73,

Miha Rus, Log pri Brezovici

Old December 1st 03, 11:20 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Miha Rus schrieb:

My radio has been exposed to moisture on my trip to Canada. It hasn't worked
well since. It is operating OK, only that the command tend not to respond to
pressure. I do not dare to open the set while I have been told it's quite
intricate a thing. I can see small water drops on the internal side of the
display window. It seems that after been put into warm on on the very top
position some water has apparently evaporated. Does anybody has an idea?

I'd guess there's some water left inside, causing the flaky key
operation. A warm and dry place sounds like a good idea now. If it
wasn't just moisture, opening the rx and some cleaning inside may be
necessary. Opening it would also vastly speed up drying. A service
manual for the thing should tell how to do that. (Don't have one?
Schaltungsdienst Lange here in .de offers copies of the RK759 service
manual, for example.)

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 448 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W
Old December 1st 03, 11:55 PM
Soames123

Some parts will melt if above 212 F or so;
- Did id drop into SALT water?
If so, take out the batteries & put it into
fresh warer. Soak it good.
THEN take it out, open up the case ( Broke anyway !)
& let it sit in a warm, dry place, with a
(~) 60 watt light bulb shining on it
Set a fan right next to it.
Turn it over every 4 hours.
Do this for a day..

Look for signs of moisture.
Then put in FRESH batteries & try it.
- Might work !!!

Subject: ATS 606 - Siemens RK 759

Old December 2nd 03, 12:00 AM
Soames123

Take out the batteries.
Look around the case &
make a small diagram of where the screws are.
Then , with the right size screwdriver, take the screws out, one by one.
Tape the screws on their corresponding place on the diagram..
Look for water. Gently soak ut up with a paper towel.
The speaker may be rusty, but aside from that, it should dry OK..
- Given 24 hrs & a little warm breeze from a fan

Old December 2nd 03, 12:09 AM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:55:02 -0600, Soames123 wrote
(in message ):

Some parts will melt if above 212 F or so;
- Did id drop into SALT water?
If so, take out the batteries & put it into
fresh warer. Soak it good.
THEN take it out, open up the case ( Broke anyway !)
& let it sit in a warm, dry place, with a
(~) 60 watt light bulb shining on it
Set a fan right next to it.
Turn it over every 4 hours.
Do this for a day..

Look for signs of moisture.
Then put in FRESH batteries & try it.
- Might work !!!

And Soames' earlier message:

Take out the batteries.
Look around the case &
make a small diagram of where the screws are.
Then , with the right size screwdriver, take the screws out, one by one.
Tape the screws on their corresponding place on the diagram..
Look for water. Gently soak ut up with a paper towel.
The speaker may be rusty, but aside from that, it should dry OK..
- Given 24 hrs & a little warm breeze from a fan

What I've done when I knocked a coffee cup over onto my keyboard was - after
washing in warm, clear water - was to put the unit either over or alongside a
central heating register and leave for 24 hoirs.

Gray

Old December 2nd 03, 07:46 AM
Miha Rus

Thanks to you all. You have given me some ideas.

73, Miha
"Diverd4777" wrote in message
MY SCUBA camera started flooding ; come back up
& see water inside it;
Flash wouldnt work nobbut

- took it apart, cleaned up the salt water, wiped it down with Fresh

Water,
let it dry in the Sun 24 Hrs;

- Worked Fine.

In article ,

(Soames123) writes:

Some parts will melt if above 212 F or so;

- Did it drop into SALT water?
If so, take out the batteries & put it into
fresh water. Soak it good.

Old December 3rd 03, 03:21 AM
matt weber

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:16:39 +0100, "Miha Rus" wrote:

My radio has been exposed to moisture on my trip to Canada. It hasn't worked
well since. It is operating OK, only that the command tend not to respond to
pressure. I do not dare to open the set while I have been told it's quite
intricate a thing. I can see small water drops on the internal side of the
display window. It seems that after been put into warm on on the very top
position some water has apparently evaporated. Does anybody has an idea?

73,

Miha Rus, Log pri Brezovici

My advice would be invest in some silica gel packets, actrivate them,
and the put the radio, with the silica gel packets into a sealed
plastic bad, and try to keep it toasty warm.. About 110F for several
days. The 110F greatly increases the vapor pressure of water, but is a
temperature low enough that it is not going to do any damage to the
radio itself. The silica gell will absorb the water vapor, and after a
few days, the inside of the radio should be bone dry.

Depending upon exactly what got wet, and what it got wet with, that
may or not fix the problem however...