Old December 5th 03, 03:57 PM
Brian L. Chaffins

Default Looking for good starter radio

I'm very interested in getting back into Shortwave again after MANY
years of not. I did some when I was a teenager.

My general question is what would be recommended as a good solid radio
for under $300 in the used market. I'd also like digital readout but
not required if the radio is better for the money.

I've been watching ebay very close for the past week but not sure
which radio brand/model is the best deal. I missed a FRG-7700 that had
a Buy Now of $175. I blinked and it sold.

Thanks
Brian
Old December 5th 03, 06:05 PM
GrtPmpkin32

My general question is what would be recommended as a good solid radio
for under $300 in the used market. I'd also like digital readout but
not required if the radio is better for the money.

If you're looking for a tabletop model, there aren't any new units in that
price range that I know of (but don't quote me, I'm no expert)... but since you
have no aversion to buying a used model, you've opened the field for yourself
with used gear from Universal, or eBay, or AES, etc. I've seen a number of
Yaesu FRG-7's at auction, and they all tend to go for $200 to $300 depending on
condition (or ego/ambitions of the seller!) They do not have a digital read
out, but one can be added to the radio (such a modification is documented
online at a few places) but the cost of the digital display and the fact of
altering what has become a classic may not be a comfortable option for you...
not to worry, as the FRG-7 is a dynamite receiver regardless. Very stable after
a short time powered up, and if it has the fine tune option present, is quite
suited to almost any SWLing you'd care to try. But if you're just getting back
into the hobby, the operation of the FRG-7 has a *moderate* learning curve with
the features and tuning requirements it offers. It's easy to get the hang of it
but it can be a little daunting if you're not used to it.
There are a lot of other tabletop models used or discontinued (Icom R71/A/B,
R72, other Yaesu models like the 7700 you mentioned, etc.) for around your
price point, and if you go to :
www.dxing.com
and look into their 'modern receiver survey' and reviews, you can get a lot of
info about the various features you may want. Really helps to narrow the
field..

But if you're not looking into tabletops only, you can find some great
portables for less than $300 which are also fine performers. Sangean's ATS909,
Sony's 7600G, and others.
With the tabletops you need to put up an external antenna, with the portables
you don't (not for starting out, at least) and they can be better suited to
'just starting back into the hobby' as far as ease of use and flexibility. IF
you can spend up to $300 on a portable, then try to get one new and with a
warranty and all, since it can be done for less than $300 fairly easily. That
way you're assured of the most current features and so on.
I'm probably being too vague, but really, the best thing to do is find sites
like the one I mentioned and educate yourself about the features you want,
need, and which are provided by the various models you may find on eBay and so
on... this way you scale down the search and then can get deep into auction
land, haha!
Best of luck-
Linus
Old December 5th 03, 07:17 PM
Brian L. Chaffins

Thanks for your comments. I've been watching a couple of Yaesu radio's
on ebay. Complex operation is not a problem. I'm a electronic tech and
computer engineer buy trade. I also have a passion for tubes (have all
tube audio setup) so I guess I'm a geek at heart.

I'm already planning a outside antenna. I'm hoping I can get some good
reception. I live about 50 miles from any large city and on top of a
hill.

It sounds like I've been on the right track looking for a radio. Just
was wondering what others thought.

Thanks again
Brian

Old December 5th 03, 10:06 PM
The Axelrods

Brian L. Chaffins wrote:

I'm very interested in getting back into Shortwave again after MANY
years of not. I did some when I was a teenager.

My general question is what would be recommended as a good solid radio
for under $300 in the used market. I'd also like digital readout but
not required if the radio is better for the money.

I've been watching ebay very close for the past week but not sure
which radio brand/model is the best deal. I missed a FRG-7700 that had
a Buy Now of $175. I blinked and it sold.

Thanks
Brian

At times you can pick up a good ICOM ICR-70 or ICR-71 for around that
money. Both are great radios

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old December 5th 03, 11:30 PM
RHF

BLC,

Here is my Short List of Shortwave Radios in various Price Ranges with
{Specific Listening Features} .

Here is a 'Short List' of Portable Shortwave Receivers
- - - and some YAHOO! eGroups to Help You Check-Them-Out !

* Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium {AM, SYNC-AM & SSB} ~$499 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Satellit800/
= = = Table Top: AM / FM / AIR / SW "World Band" Receiver
AM-Synchronous Detector; Three IF Filters, RF 20dB Attenuator,
Whip Antenna Pre-Amplifier, Hi-Low AGC and
Large Speaker [Big Box] Dynamic HiFi Sound.

* Sony ICF-2010 {AM, SYNC-AM & SSB} ~$360 {USED}
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icf2010/
= = = Portable: AM / FM / AIR / SW "World Band" Receiver
Hi-Sensitivity, AM-Synchronous Detector, Two IF Filters,
AM Local-DX Switch and RF Gain.

* Sangean ATS-909 {AM & SSB} ~$240 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/

* Sony ICF-7600GR {AM, AM-SYNC & SSB} ~$180 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7600group/

* Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE {AM & SSB} ~$160 [NEW]
* Grundig Yacht Boy 300 PE {AM Only} ~$160 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig_Yacht_Boy_Radios/

* Grundig S350 {AM Only} ~$100 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/
= = = Hi-Sensitivity, Two IF Filters, RF Gain and Good Audio Sound.

..

..

F W I W: My ranking of some 'used' Shortwave Radios:

#10 = Drake R8B (Would like to Own one$$$)
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/r8b.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/494

#9 ? ? ?

#8 = Drake R8A
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/r8.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1827

#7 ? ? ?

#6 = Icom R75 (Own One with the Full Kiwa Installed Mods.)
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/r75.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/427

#5 ? ? ?

#4 = Drake R8 (Tried one)
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/r8.htm
+ Add-in + Drake SW-8
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/sw8.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/600
+ Add-in + Grundig Satellit 800M (Own one.)
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/sat800.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1699

#3 = Kenwood R-5000 (Own one)
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/r5000.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/468

#2 = Palstar R-30
- - - http://www.radiointel.com/review-palstar30.htm
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/r30.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/851

#1 = Yaesu FRG-7700 (Own one)
+ + + FRT-7700 + FRA-7700 + FRV-7700
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/frg7000.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1808

#"0" = Panasonic RF-4900 (Own one)
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/rf4800.htm
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1190
+ Add-in + Drake SW-1 (Own one)
- - - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1313
- - - http://www.dxing.com/rx/ssr1.htm

itati ~ RHF
= = = Is That ALL There Is . . .
..
..
= = = (Brian L. Chaffins)

Old December 6th 03, 01:42 AM
tommyknocker

Brian L. Chaffins wrote:

I'm very interested in getting back into Shortwave again after MANY
years of not. I did some when I was a teenager.

My general question is what would be recommended as a good solid radio
for under $300 in the used market. I'd also like digital readout but
not required if the radio is better for the money.

I've been watching ebay very close for the past week but not sure
which radio brand/model is the best deal. I missed a FRG-7700 that had
a Buy Now of $175. I blinked and it sold.

Thanks
Brian

There used to be a couple online radio swap sites, but the only one I'm
aware of that is still up is (I think) qrz.com. That's where you could
get your best deal-ebay is overpriced. You could get an older Yaesu
(FRG7700 or 8800 with digital readout, FRG7 with analog dial) for that
price. I got my 8800 in trade for a Sony 2010 which I in turn bought
used for $200 (this was several years ago; they go for much more now)
which didn't suit my needs.

Old December 6th 03, 10:52 AM
starman

The Axelrods wrote:

Brian L. Chaffins wrote:

I'm very interested in getting back into Shortwave again after MANY
years of not. I did some when I was a teenager.

My general question is what would be recommended as a good solid radio
for under $300 in the used market. I'd also like digital readout but
not required if the radio is better for the money.

I've been watching ebay very close for the past week but not sure
which radio brand/model is the best deal. I missed a FRG-7700 that had
a Buy Now of $175. I blinked and it sold.

Thanks
Brian

At times you can pick up a good ICOM ICR-70 or ICR-71 for around that
money. Both are great radios

or an original Drake R8 for about $350.

Old December 6th 03, 11:57 AM
Jim Mac Donald

Once you get a short wave radio add an antenna tuner to a random length
or long wire antenna.
I have used a HAM antenna tuiner with the Radio Shack DX 440 with seven (
7) feet to fifty ( 50 ) feet
of electical copper wire to listen to utility and broadcast DX. A
antenna tuner is not just for tramsmitting!
MFJ sells different tuners:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/index.php
here's a nice one
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-956
Jim

Old December 6th 03, 12:04 PM
Stephan Grossklass

RHF schrieb:

[snip]
* Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium {AM, SYNC-AM & SSB} ~$499 [NEW]

[snip]
Large Speaker [Big Box] Dynamic HiFi Sound.

Though no match for the "real" Grundigs (Sat 600/650 and such). That 10
cm speaker isn't exactly huge anyway, and there would have room for
something bigger (the usual suspects among portables use ones with 7.7
cm in diameter, but of course they 're much less spacious inside).
http://home.arcor.de/baier.homburg/800/laut.jpg

* Sony ICF-7600GR {AM, AM-SYNC & SSB} ~$180 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7600group/

There's also a "7600GR" group.

* Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE {AM & SSB} ~$160 [NEW]

Two IF filters (IIRC: SFR455I/SFR455J, 7/4.5 kHz real @ -6 dB), should
have rather good audio. SSB usable, though not outstanding.

* Grundig Yacht Boy 300 PE {AM Only} ~$160 [NEW]

That price doesn't seem right, it's much less radio than the 400.

* Grundig S350 {AM Only} ~$100 [NEW]
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grundig-S-350/
= = = Hi-Sensitivity, Two IF Filters, RF Gain and Good Audio Sound.

Though it's a single conversion design and not that stable either.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 448 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W