RadioBanter

-   -   Why You Don't Like The ARRL (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39522-why-you-dont-like-arrl.html)

JEP December 14th 03 08:00 PM

It probably was no longer cost effective to sell it on newstands.

If the ARRL is making money (a no-no for a non-profit corp) then report them
to the IRS. If they are not making money, then no matter how big they are,
it is not about money since no one is making a profit.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Creative book keeping and Yankee lawyers keeps them out of trouble.
Are they making a profit? Hell yes. No profit, No ARRL. Can they
legally hide their profit? Well sure. With all of the books, CD's,
DVD's, tapes and magazines they sell every year you know there is a
profit. They are no different than GoodWill when it comes to making a
profit except that Goodwill actually helps people. ARRL only helps
itself!

We will probably see QST being hawked in Publishers Clearing House
before too long. Get a magazine and win a million

Brian December 14th 03 08:05 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message igy.com...

It probably was no longer cost effective to sell it on newstands.

If the ARRL is making money (a no-no for a non-profit corp) then report them
to the IRS. If they are not making money, then no matter how big they are,
it is not about money since no one is making a profit.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Un-friggin-believable.

Non-profits aren't about profit. They're about salaries.

Mike Coslo December 14th 03 08:26 PM

JEP wrote:
It probably was no longer cost effective to sell it on newstands.

If the ARRL is making money (a no-no for a non-profit corp) then report them
to the IRS. If they are not making money, then no matter how big they are,
it is not about money since no one is making a profit.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Creative book keeping and Yankee lawyers keeps them out of trouble.

Hey! You forgot to call them liberals!

Are they making a profit? Hell yes. No profit, No ARRL. Can they
legally hide their profit? Well sure. With all of the books, CD's,
DVD's, tapes and magazines they sell every year you know there is a
profit. They are no different than GoodWill when it comes to making a
profit except that Goodwill actually helps people. ARRL only helps
itself!

Lessee, just from their website, I've looked up exam dates and
locations, Contest dates and rules, Hamfest dates and locations. I've
downloaded project and info PDF's from them, looked up callsigns and
matched names with callsigns. Looked through the swap section of the
site, and been informed and sometimes entertained by the FCC enforcement
news. Off the web, I've used their hints and kinks books, and I'd be
lost without the Handbook.

And those are just the superficial things, not counting the spectrum
work and really critical stuff such as BPL.

Yup, sure signs of an organization that only helps itself!

Good luck with this one now!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Brian December 14th 03 08:28 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message igy.com...

Several of us have already listed the numerous benefits of the ARRL.

Well, there you have it. What benefits Dee must benefit all.

Again
how did you voice your dissent? Did you get actively and heavily involved?
Doesn't sound like it. If you did get involved, you did not convince the
majority of members to change to your point of view.

Must one become El Supremo Commandant to have an organization that
they belong to and pay dues to represent them? Must be so in this
case.

Instead you choose to have little to no impact on proposed changes by the
FCC.

Actually, the road the FCC took is closer to leadership of the ARS
than the road that the ARRL took.

Yes I know individuals can write letters but a decent sized lobby
has
a far greater effect.

Which is the very saddest part of the whole episode.

An organized body can much more effectively solicit
the backing of other affected groups on questions like BPL.

It is necessary for the ARRL to fight BPL - it threatens their very
existence.

Being "One voice in the maelstrom" is a waste of one's time as it will be
completely obliterated by that maelstrom.

Being in the minority doesn't necessarily make one wrong nor
necessarily make ones efforts a waste of time. Galileo

Now I do not say that everyone should be a member of ARRL. That is up to
the individual. However if you are not, then don't complain about their
policies. Don't complain when BPL makes HF useless in your area. Don't
complain when VHF/UHF frequencies get reallocated to commercial uses. Don't
complain if the government should choose to eliminate amateur radio entirely
as it has tried to do twice in the past.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Yes, yes, Dee. Of course. Whatever you say. ARRL spam-bot.

Brian December 14th 03 08:38 PM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message k.net...

Correct, and in other words. If you want to change it, you have to be on
the inside.

Dan/W4NTI

Wrong, Dan. And don't go turning into a spam-bot sychophant.

Hanoi Jane tried that approach with the NRA, and none of us seem to
have our very own NVA anti-aircraft guns to sit behind.

With respect to the ARRL:

Withholding dues money changes them.

Not purchasing their products changes them.

Denouncing their policies changes them.

Voicing your concerns directly to the FCC cuts out the middleman.

Brian December 14th 03 08:41 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message igy.com...
"JEP" wrote in message
om...
And just who is

?????

I have given a real email address and feel free to respond to it.

The ARRL hasn't represented the membership directly---EVER!

The ARRL has had it's own agenda (big money) for years.

The ARRL would be considered a large corp. in most sectors, operating
under a non-profit status.

The only good about the ARRL is/was QST and now I can't even find it
on the news stands.

Bye bye ARRL.

Bye bye ham radio as we know it.

JEP

It probably was no longer cost effective to sell it on newstands.

That's a ****-poor approach for an organization who'se charter says
its for publishing.

If the ARRL is making money (a no-no for a non-profit corp) then report them
to the IRS. If they are not making money, then no matter how big they are,
it is not about money since no one is making a profit.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Its about salaries, not profits. every other non-profit.

Dan/W4NTI December 14th 03 11:39 PM

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
nk.net...
"KØHB" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart" wrote

Several years ago (four or five), QST was
available at the Barnes and Noble bookstore
in this area. But it then disappeared off the
shelf and I haven't seen it since.

At $4.99/mo ($59.88/yr) plus tax, I'm sure it
wasn't a high volume business for Barnes and
Noble, since that's a 53% premium over the
membership dues, and you don't get the other
benefits which comes with membership. Only
an idiot would regularly buy QST from a news
stand!

There are circumstances that might require one to be an "idiot," Hans.

In
my case, I purchased it at the news stand because ARRL never seemed able

deliver my copy of the magazine (not fast enough to keep up with me). The
first time I joined, my address changed several times in a single year. I
joined at my home here. Two months later, I went elsewhere to prepare for
our operations in Kosovo. Several months later, I went to Italy for the
actual Kosovo conflict itself. Even though a change of address was sent

with
each move, I received only one issue of the magazine that year.

The second year was pretty much the same as the first. I moved back to

the
USA, moved several months later, and finally ended up back here again two
months after that. I got two issues of the magazine that year and didn't
rejoin at the end of the year (and didn't make any effort to get the
magazine for several years).

I joined ARRL again this year and have gotten each copy of the magazine

so
far.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

You do realize that the ARRL has the publication and distribution of QST
contracted out, don't you? You should crab to them, not the league per se.

I had similar problems when I was globe trotting, like you. But when I
finally did settle down I dropped both QST and CQ a note...and guess what?
They sent me every single issue I missed.
Amazing, hu?

Dan/W4NTI

KØHB December 15th 03 12:04 AM

"Brian" wrote

She is, more or less, an official ARRL spam-bot.
Wonder if she is an official bulletin station?

And you are, more or less, the official LHA junior-Unabasher. I want you to
be fully aware of your role in rrap, Brian. It goes like this: LHA is the
organ grinder, playing a song called "I Left My Heart in ADA, and Newington
Won't Give It Back". You are the little monkey in a bright red hat hopping
up and down and acting silly for our amusement.

With all best wishes for the recovery of your missing T5 logs,

de Hans, K0HB/4ID

Dee D. Flint December 15th 03 01:59 AM

"JEP" wrote in message
om...

[...]

If they are making a profit, then who is getting the money?? It's got to be
going somewhere. There are no stockholders receiving dividends. It doesn't
do any good just to sit on the money. And don't say salaries as that is
fully documented in the financial records and is not profit. If you believe
the salaries are too high, get on the board that makes the decisions and
reduce them.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint December 15th 03 02:00 AM

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

igy.com...

It probably was no longer cost effective to sell it on newstands.

If the ARRL is making money (a no-no for a non-profit corp) then report

them
to the IRS. If they are not making money, then no matter how big they

are,
it is not about money since no one is making a profit.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Un-friggin-believable.

Non-profits aren't about profit. They're about salaries.

If the salaries are too high, get on the board and get them reduced.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE