Old December 20th 03, 08:21 PM
J. Tozzo

Default Shortwave through a Stereo

I hooked up a DJ mixer to my stereo yesterday so i could listen to
vinyl & cds on it. I plugged my ICOM R75 into one of the unused
channels (via LINE OUT) and brought it up & it sounds great! (in that
shortwavy noisy way) It seems like both the audio frequency response &
dynamic range are greatly increased compared to headphones(good sonys)
and especially the internal speaker. The stereo is a Technics SU-V26
& Cerwin Vega E310's if that matters to anyone. So if your radio is
near your stereo give it a go. Now i need a good recorder (& the other
turntable). I cant wait to hear some good music on the pirate
stations.... we'll see tonight hopefully. ok folks bye
-Justin keepin it cloudy in SW
Fla.......
Old December 21st 03, 02:16 AM
CrewL

I have a Sony FM/AM tuner in my stereo and it also has SW bands in it. I've
had it since 1986. Don't know if you can still get them. Quite decent for
loud broadcasters (BBC, etc), but no SSB of course).

C.

om...

Old December 21st 03, 08:49 AM
SW Broadcasting Service

Yes, i also often listen to sw that way, some sw radios have that beefie
sound you are talking about. often old tube ones, but puting it tru the
stereo is far the best way..

--
Greetings from Alfred Zoer ( Alfa Lima Int )

-------------------------------------

Our email address

Surf to Alfa Lima web
You'll find our Hobby's
Chevy's
Motor Bikes
11 MB DXing
And of course Short-wave Pirate Radio
http://www.alfalima.net
_____________________________________
SW pirates group!!!
Receive the latest SW-Pirates info
Simply subscribe by sending a blanc email to:

More info at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/SWpirates
"J. Tozzo" schreef in bericht
om...

Old December 21st 03, 08:46 PM
starman

"J. Tozzo" wrote:

I hooked up a DJ mixer to my stereo yesterday so i could listen to
vinyl & cds on it. I plugged my ICOM R75 into one of the unused
channels (via LINE OUT) and brought it up & it sounds great! (in that
shortwavy noisy way) It seems like both the audio frequency response &
dynamic range are greatly increased compared to headphones(good sonys)
and especially the internal speaker. The stereo is a Technics SU-V26
& Cerwin Vega E310's if that matters to anyone. So if your radio is
near your stereo give it a go. Now i need a good recorder (& the other
turntable). I cant wait to hear some good music on the pirate
stations.... we'll see tonight hopefully. ok folks bye
-Justin keepin it cloudy in SW
Fla.......

It works particularly well if the stereo has an equalizer (instead of
tone controls) so you can tailor the sound across the audio spectrum for
shortwave reception.

Old December 22nd 03, 08:12 AM
Mark Keith

(J. Tozzo) wrote in message . com...
I hooked up a DJ mixer to my stereo yesterday so i could listen to
vinyl & cds on it. I plugged my ICOM R75 into one of the unused
channels (via LINE OUT) and brought it up & it sounds great! (in that
shortwavy noisy way) It seems like both the audio frequency response &
dynamic range are greatly increased compared to headphones(good sonys)
and especially the internal speaker. The stereo is a Technics SU-V26
& Cerwin Vega E310's if that matters to anyone. So if your radio is
near your stereo give it a go. Now i need a good recorder (& the other
turntable). I cant wait to hear some good music on the pirate
stations.... we'll see tonight hopefully. ok folks bye
-Justin keepin it cloudy in SW
Fla.......

Can help plenty with the dinky speakers most radios have these days. I
run my IC-706mk2g into my puter sound card. From there I run it to a
kenwood integrated audio amp. That goes to two speakers normally.
Makes my little 706 sound like a big radio. Going through the puter
gives me initial volume and tone control. Also DSP, and all the other
stuff like SSTV, and the digi modes, spectrum analysers, etc..I can
also easily record using the puter. I have a program that will even
cut it off and on with squelch operation. Good for scanning obscure
VHF/UHF, etc..And the audio quality is the same as what I hear
originally. Being it's all direct, there is little degradation of the
audio on playback. If I use a high sample rate, it's dang near
memorex.
The kenwood amp has some EQ built in, and also loudness. In
comparison, the little dinky speaker in the icom sounds like a fart
box.
BTW, speaking of manly SW and MW audio...I still hope to get my old
1948 RCA Victor console fired up B4 too long. I think I have it all
working, but the speaker output tranny is fried. Gotta get another
one, and I think it will be working...That thing has a dual 6v6 audio
amp and a 12 inch speaker. Covers MW and some SW bands. Should sound
fairly robust compared to many of these modern boxes with 3-4 inch
speakers. Those old radios are pretty wide too as far as bandwidth.
Should have pretty good audio quality for AM. Might even end up being
preferable to my old trusty zenith TO. The RCA has a bigger badder MW
loop than the TO also.. MK

Old December 22nd 03, 06:10 PM
elg110254

Have run a succession of shortwave rigs through various hi-fi units for well
over three decades! Yaesu's FRG-7 is the Marantz of solid-state units,
emulating that auld Hammarlund thermionic tone! Really excels on those
Wednesday evening A.M.I. Net broadcasts on 3.870 mhz! Great for Lucky Ocean's
"Planet" via Radio Australia also; as well as Auntie Beeb's musical
presentations! An audio-modded ICOM R-75 produces a nice fat midrange which
sounds luxurious during sports broadcasts! Sony's 2010, through a decent
microphone pre-amp, has a scintilatin' retro-vibe as well !
Old December 23rd 03, 09:41 AM
starman

elg110254 wrote:

Have run a succession of shortwave rigs through various hi-fi units for well
over three decades! Yaesu's FRG-7 is the Marantz of solid-state units,
emulating that auld Hammarlund thermionic tone! Really excels on those
Wednesday evening A.M.I. Net broadcasts on 3.870 mhz! Great for Lucky Ocean's
"Planet" via Radio Australia also; as well as Auntie Beeb's musical
presentations! An audio-modded ICOM R-75 produces a nice fat midrange which
sounds luxurious during sports broadcasts! Sony's 2010, through a decent
microphone pre-amp, has a scintilatin' retro-vibe as well !

The Drake-R8B audio would be a Harmon-Kardon vacuum tube model. :-)

Old December 25th 03, 12:25 AM
Jmpngtiger

My Dx-398 sounds a lot better through my set of Sony powered speakers(intended
for a walkman cd player).

I can imagine a good hi-fi stereo would be even better.

jt

Old December 25th 03, 03:40 PM
Mike W

Along the same lines, I have a Sangean RS-330 (formerly Proton clock radio)
that has a lot of hiss noticeable when using headphones also. This a fairly
expensive radio, and works very well but I have noticed the hiss issue. If
I'm not mistaken, you can hear the hiss even before you turn on the radio if
you plug in the headphones and listen! On the other hand I have a Sangean
DT110 pocket radio that has virtually no backround hiss in the phones.

- mike w

"Ken Thomas" wrote in message
my DX398 has a lot of hiss through the headphones and line out.
Compare it to say, a Walkman - Sony is clear as a bell. My opinion,
and think about this for a second - any radio that has a speaker has
hiss on the line out or phones - without a speaker - like a Walkman or
IPOD, etc.. no hiss and sounds beautiful.

Regards

On 25 Dec 2003 00:25:59 GMT, ospam (Jmpngtiger)
wrote:

[...]

CAR STEREO - Shortwave Alan Smithee Shortwave 7 November 13th 03 03:46 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM