Old December 22nd 03, 03:33 PM
Diverd4777

Default Wireless Routers & Shortwave Reception

- All:

- How much will a wireless router interfere with SWR ??

Getting High Speed Internet ( Cheap ! ) in our location;

Have 2 computers,

Installer says " get a Wireless Router"

- How much will a wireless router interfere with SWR ??

( I prefer the " Drill holes in the wall,
- my wife thinks different )

- So, before I haul out the drill, thought I'd ask !

Dan ( Icom R-75, using co-ax lead-in from Antenna)

-
Old December 22nd 03, 04:49 PM
hunkie-doorie

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
- All:

- How much will a wireless router interfere with SWR ??

It's usualln not the router that causes the trouble as these
devices operate up in the 2.4 Ghz range. What is most
often the source of the problem is the switching power
supply that 98.9% of our modern consumer electronic
devices use. Put it temp in the place you are going
to install it and listen to the radio with the device
UNPLUGGED and then plugged in and then turned
on. (just because a device is 'switched off' does not
mean it is not powered off. TV sets and VCR's fall
into this category and are notorious noise-generators)

see:

http://www.eetchina.com/ARTICLES/200...BM_DA_AN04.PDF

http://www.delhv.com/pdf/tech_ripple.pdf

Old December 22nd 03, 06:15 PM
Joe

I have a Linksys 802b setup here, effects nothing. I can even place my
laptop right next to my receivers (old and new) no trouble. These setups
operate far up in the 800-900 Mhz area at milliwatt power levels.

Keep in mind a wireless is slower then hard-wired Ethernet, so don't expect
to run over 100KBS.

-Joe

Old December 22nd 03, 06:55 PM
Panzer240

"Joe" wrote in
:

I have a Linksys 802b setup here, effects nothing. I can even place my
laptop right next to my receivers (old and new) no trouble. These setups
operate far up in the 800-900 Mhz area at milliwatt power levels.

Keep in mind a wireless is slower then hard-wired Ethernet, so don't
expect to run over 100KBS.

-Joe

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 here (wired) If I leave it powered up, it makes
just about anything under about 8 Mhz unreadable S9+10 20 DB noise
level. In order for it to go away, I have to unplug the wall wart in order
to tune 160/80/40 M etc and expect to hear things.

I also have a friend who uses the Linksys wireless router, I am the person
he call if he needs help with it. As an aside, this wireless network
regularly supports downloads of 2.5 to 3 Mb/s (megabits/sec) or 300 to 400
KBs (Kilobytes/sec) which is the same as the wired computers on this smae
network get. The fact that some of the connections to the net are wireless
in NO WAY limits the speeds obtainable.

--
Panzer

Old December 22nd 03, 11:41 PM
Stinger

Dan,

I agree with the other posters -- the power supply will be the main
thing to cause any interference. Don't forget that you will still have
either (assuming a typical consumer connect) a DSL or cable modem as
additional new equipment. Some of them (even though they're hardwired) can
be noisy. If you're getting cable, have them bring out all their available
modem options.
If you must go wireless, and can find one, consider an 802.11g router.
They're downward compatible with 802.11b, but have much better bandwidth.
No matter what you do with wireless, nothing matches the speed of actual
hardwired ethernet.
Another problem with wireless is that it opens up another avenue network
intrusion, etc. You'll need to lock your network down to guard against
"wardrivers" -- folks that drive around looking for unsecured 802.11
networks for fun and profit.

-- Stinger

Old December 23rd 03, 02:49 PM
Diverd4777

All:
- Thanks for all your help;
will sadly part with my ISP's

($9.95 Joi Internet being a poor mans DSL )

& get a wireless router..

Dan

Old December 23rd 03, 03:53 PM
David

I had one of those POS things. I replaced it with a D-Link. It works
much better.

As a scanner enthusiast I know better than to broadcast my computer
activity on a wireless system.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:55:56 GMT, Panzer240
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in
:

Old December 30th 03, 09:12 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article , diverd4777
@aol.com says...
Getting High Speed Internet ( Cheap ! ) in our location;
Have 2 computers,
Installer says " get a Wireless Router"
- How much will a wireless router interfere with SWR ??

Very little if at all. WiFi operates in the microwave ranges, WAY above
the shortwave bands.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Please visit the following sites:

American Shortwave Listening Club (ASWLC)

Southern California Area DXers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scads
Old January 4th 04, 09:10 AM
porcupine

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:12:45 GMT, Steve Silverwood
wrote:

- How much will a wireless router interfere with SWR ??

Very little if at all. WiFi operates in the microwave ranges, WAY above
the shortwave bands.

Hmmm. Your mileage may definitely vary. My Linksys wireless router
makes a LOT of noise from about 4 mHz up, emitting little blobs of
spread-spectrum every so many kHz all the way up the band. Linksys'
solution: "change the wireless channel"...makes no difference
whatsoever.

Shortwave BCB Reception in the Phoenix Area? Bob Olson Shortwave 1 December 17th 03 02:02 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM
help -- grundig majestic radio & shortwave reception Bill Barol Shortwave 1 September 13th 03 04:38 AM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
AM or Shortwave Reception Problems ? RHF Shortwave 3 September 4th 03 05:55 AM