RadioBanter

-   -   Icom R-75 question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39802-icom-r-75-question.html)

Diverd4777 December 29th 03 11:44 PM

Bought an R-75, from Universal radio, had them install the DSP
never had a probelm with it.

Great radio..!

In article ,
(RHF) writes:

BH,

Never really heard that the Icon IC-R75
has had Quality Control Problems?

Amplify on what hese "QC" Prooblems Are - Please !

iwtk ~ RHF
.

Tony Meloche December 30th 03 01:41 AM

Diverd4777 wrote:

Bought an R-75, from Universal radio, had them install the DSP
never had a probelm with it.

Great radio..!

Mine works perfectly, and the tuner alignment is correct to within
2/100ths of a kilohertz. No complaints here.

Tony

Pete KE9OA December 30th 03 07:01 AM

I am glad that folks have given that mod a try. Not for the faint-hearted,
but it is worth it. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to
e-mail me.

Pete

RHF wrote in message
om...
NB,

Check-Out the Icom IC-R75 eGroup on YAHOO !
Over 6300 Messages and almost 900 Members.

There is a whole series of Messages on
the AM/MW/BCB Attenuator Modifications.

ihtthbh ~ RHF
.
.
= = = Neil Bell
= = = wrote in message

. ..
I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception,

My question is how does it do on BCB MW reception ? ?

Is an external speaker really needed?

Neil Bell

Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

.

CW December 30th 03 07:45 AM

Yes, you are.

"Kenneth" wrote in message
m...
Good joke,

RHF December 30th 03 09:46 AM

BH,

Hello, Can You Reply ?

Please Amplify on these "QC" Problems of the Icom IC-R75.

OBTW - BH, Do You Own an RL Drake R8 Receiver . . .

jftfoi ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (RHF)
= = = wrote in message . com...
BH,

Never really heard that the Icon IC-R75
has had Quality Control Problems?

Amplify on what hese "QC" Prooblems Are - Please !

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.
= = = "Bill Hennessy"
= = = wrote in message om...
Icom has quality control problems.
Thay work great, when thay work.

Bill, N5NOB

Telamon December 31st 03 01:29 AM

In article ,
(D. Kim) wrote:

Neil Bell wrote in message
. ..
Is an external speaker really needed?

The reviews I read before purchase did not sing any praises for the
IC-R75s speaker so I had mine shipped directly to Kiwa for the
following mods:

--synchronous detector upgrade
--audio upgrade
--high fidelity audio filter
--R75 filter module

The sound is just fine, though for obvious reasons I can't compare it
now to what is would have sounded like.

The tiny speaker the R75 has can't sound very good. If you are going to
spend the money for those modifications then spend a little more and buy
an external speaker.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon December 31st 03 01:31 AM

= = = wrote in message
om...
Icom has quality control problems.
Thay work great, when thay work.

Bill, N5NOB

The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

GrtPmpkin32 December 31st 03 01:38 AM

The tiny speaker the R75 has can't sound very good. If you are going to
spend the money for those modifications then spend a little more and buy
an external speaker.

I'll agree with this point. I am a mostly-nighttime (bedroom) SWL and as such,
I use headphones exclusively, regardless of which radio(s) I'm playing with on
any given night. But, the few times I have used my R75 without phones, I
immediately set up external speakers with some EQ to get it to sound full
enough to seem 'real'... and this even after I had all modifications and
enhancements done (mostly by me, including installing Kiwa's synch upgrade,
which I simply bought from them and installed myself)... the R75's a fine radio
with phones, or with decent outboard speakers. But the tiny, front-firing stock
speaker isn't full enough to do the rest of the radio justice.
Linus

RHF December 31st 03 09:30 AM

TELAMON,

So had Icom come out with an R75A and R75B model like
the Drake R8A and R8B then it would be a good radio ?

IMHO: It's the R75's Mods that personalize the radio
and endears the R75 to it's owners.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = Telamon
= = = wrote in message ...
In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

BH,

Never really heard that the Icon IC-R75
has had Quality Control Problems?

Amplify on what these "QC" Problems Are - Please !

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.
= = = "Bill Hennessy"

Telamon December 31st 03 10:22 AM

In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

TELAMON,

So had Icom come out with an R75A and R75B model like the Drake R8A
and R8B then it would be a good radio ?

Maybe R75K

K for Kenneth I figure.

IMHO: It's the R75's Mods that personalize the radio and endears the
R75 to it's owners.

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

= = = Telamon