RadioBanter

-   -   Icom R-75 question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39802-icom-r-75-question.html)

N8KDV January 6th 04 02:50 PM

Kenneth wrote:

I agree with you 99.9% That was my point in all this tread.At last you
got it.

Another tip Kenneth: If you need new treads, I recommend Goodyear.

Kenneth January 6th 04 07:04 PM

N8KDV wrote in message ...
Kenneth wrote:

I agree with you 99.9% That was my point in all this tread.At last you
got it.

Another tip Kenneth: If you need new treads, I recommend Goodyear.

Thanks Steve, you are correct I forgot a "h".I'm writing too much
this days and sometimes I forgot a letter or some coma. But I'm a
fortunate man I have you at my service as my personal secretary and
the nice thing is that I don't have to pay you anything...

Kenneth January 6th 04 07:35 PM

N8KDV wrote in message
Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"I don't have to bother myself with modificatons either"

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....About the "running very
hot" problem , you did the right thing with adding an external AC
adaptor,Yes,you are learning very fast.
http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Ken

DeWayne January 6th 04 09:07 PM

"N8KDV" wrote in message
Perhaps the best way to solve the ICOM R75 problem is to contact the

Federal Trade Commission and ask them why ICOM is dumping their receivers in
the USA at a greatly discounted price.

What we need is a trade war with Japan! ;-)

A little late don't you think? What about China?

DeWayne

DeWayne January 6th 04 09:14 PM

"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...
N8KDV wrote in message
Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"I don't have to bother myself with modificatons either"

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....About the "running very
hot" problem , you did the right thing with adding an external AC
adaptor,Yes,you are learning very fast.

I have an R75 and like it very much, but I have also owned an R8B and loved
it! All of the problems you're magnifying are extremely minor, except for
the encoder. It seems to me that you are bashing the R8B because it's
American made.

DeWayne K9KZ

N8KDV January 6th 04 10:32 PM

Kenneth wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....About the "running very
hot" problem , you did the right thing with adding an external AC
adaptor,Yes,you are learning very fast.

And just when did I ever say I used an external AC adapter with either my
R8 or my R8B?

As for the modifications to same, has it ever occurred to you, pea brain,
that if the modifications truely, and let me emphasise the word TRUELY,
needed to be performed, then someone would have come up with a way to do
them?

You 'seem' to know a 'little bit' about electronics, so I guess I have to
ask the question of why you seem to be so inclined to perform so many mods
on the R75, and never seem to have done any on the R8B and/or R8 that you
once claim to have owned?

I don't know about you, but I've certainly done my share of DXing, and
I've used quite a few different receivers in the past. I can tell you from
experience that there's no way I'd trade my Drakes for an R75. Used one
here long enough to realise it's just not the receiver it's made out to
be. And as I've pointed out before, the gentleman who was kind enough to
bring it here for comparison testing felt the same way I do, and promptly
sold it and bought an R8B. And since then I believe he's purchased an R8.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"I don't have to bother myself with modifications either"

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

RHF January 7th 04 02:08 AM

Here are "My Thoughts" on Why the Icom IC-R75 has a Low Price
and High Promotion in the USofA.

The basis of a Federal Trade Commission FTA "Dumping" Charge is
that the origination country is placing the Item (Product and/or
Service) For Sale at 'below' their Actual Cost of Manufacturing,
Transportation and Distribution (a loss).

I 'think' that if the "Facts" were known: Icom is selling the
Icom IC-R75 in the USofA at small profit (not a loss).

Therefore, there would be NO basis for an FTA "Dumping" Charge.
(Maybe other countries should be asking WHY Icom is Pricing the
Icom IC-R75 so High outside the USofA.)

So... The Question becomes at the 'relatively' "High Prices" that
the Icom IC-R75 is being sold at in the "Rest-of-the-World (ROTW).
How Much Profit is Icom making on each Icom IC-R75 in ROTW ?

The PLAN - A "World Wide Marketing Plan" for Icom may be that
Half [ 1/2 ] or more of the Total World Sales are in the USofA
and "What Sells in the USofA" market's itself to the ROTW.

First - Assuring a High Volume of Sales in the USofA with a
Profit Margin that provides for "Recapturing ALL of Icom's
Manufacturing Costs for the Total World Wide Production Run.
NOTE: The Icom IC-R75 is heavily promoted in the USofA by Icom
'offering' the "FREE" DSP with the Purchase of the Icom IC-R75.

Second - All ROTW Sales a 'pure' "Profit" for Icom; excluding
Transportation Costs. The ROTW has to BUY the DSP at "Extra Cost".

TBL: The Icom IC-R75 is a "Winner" for Icom and a High Profit
Product Center in its Global (USofA and ROTW) Marketing Plan.

TRADE WAR: We (the USofA) and Japan have always been in a 'cold'
Trade War over Imports and Exports between the two countries.
{ That is the Nature of International Trade between Nations. }
IIRC: It use to be that many Products were 'charged' an In-Country
Consumer "Luxury Tax" inside Japan and then the MITA would "Rebate"
this Tax to a Manufacture for Each Exported Product.
Again IIRC: This use to be a 15% Tax per Item and a 5% Rebate
per Item; Which would cause a 20% difference in an Items Price
inside of Japan and in the ROTW.
TBL: Japanese Consumers were subsidizing Exports and Exports
could be bought outside of Japan for a Lower Cost then inside Japan.
This was common practice in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s to the
best of my knowledge. I don't know if this is still going on
today or not ? ? ?

wictb... ~ RHF
= = = When It Comes To Business...
It Does Not Take An MBA - To Pick Somebody's Pocket !
..
..
= = = N8KDV
= = = wrote in message ...

Perhaps the best way to solve the ICOM R75 problem is to contact
the Federal Trade Commission (FTA) and ask them why ICOM is

GrtPmpkin32 January 7th 04 02:33 AM

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...
I have been following your (Kenneth's) current run of tirades for a few days
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.
Yes, I tend to champion the R75 when discussing it with fellow (or soon-to-be)
SWL's for its price range, performance, and overall flexibility for most users.
I enjoy electronics and enhancing my gear if needed, and enjoyed thoroughly the
process of upgrading the R75 to a more capable receiver than it already was. I
did everything myself and spent MAYBE another $40 after all was said and done,
so FOR ME and MY wallet, it was a great choice of radio.
But that doesn't mean I excuse Icom for making some poor choices in components
and circuit design, nor do I excuse them for advertising as *working* a few
features which simply *don't work* without fixing by the user or Kiwa. Does
this mean I hate the radio? Hell no.
I take Telamon's (and others who feel as he does) opinions and comments to be
sincere and well-meaning, and accurate. There ARE plenty of SWL's who won't
spend $500 for a radio they need to spend either more money or more time on to
get working as advertised, and I can't blame them. And I don't see them flaming
ME for WANTING to own and enhance the radio, do I? He's just stating his
educated opinion and HIS personal preference for purchasing the radios HE wants
to use, based on what I find to be sound reasoning. Why, therefore, do you
INSIST on arguing with people who don't want to own an R75?
The Drake R8B also has its fair share of detractors, but unlike your posts
here, they tend to state a few LOGICAL reasons why they don't wish to buy an
R8B, any one of which makes SENSE compared to your 'facts' given here. And even
if the R8B's 'flaws' were indeed numerous and frequent, HOW IN HELL does that
have ANY effect on anyone's opinion of how well-made the R75 is?
Apples/oranges, who cares?
How can Telamon be 'wrong' in having a preference in radios? How can YOU be
'right' for owning an R75? It seems to me like you're rather sophomorically
creating and extending an argument for no other reason than to 'defend'
something which needs no defense (a radio product) or simply watch yourself
type.
Like a few teen-minded defenders of some dubious radio products in this
newsgroup's past (can anyone say TT?) you're being ridiculous, and show it more
with every heated, self-defensive post about differing OPINIONS and
preferences.
I would give you the same advice I have received and have given others:
Quit looking for black-and-white in radios. It will NEVER exist.
Linus

Telamon January 7th 04 07:47 AM

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that
must be modified to work as advertised.

no problem. but aren't you this electronics guru? imagine a machine shop
owner buying his car based on stock horsepower while balking at someone
bolting on a supercharger. what can you hear on your RX340 that you
cannot
on your R8B? on an R75? please site specific specs. we all know the
answer
and that is why the R75 is now one of the best selling tabletops.

I haven't noticed anything that the RX340 can pick up that the R8B can't
hear. Usually the RX340 can make a station sound better but other times
the R8B does better depending on conditions. The radios are all on
different antennas, which make for a different reception condition so I
am not generally comparing them.

Thanks for this one.Using simple logic if your R8B [$1,499] can "pick
up" anything that your ten tec RX 340 [$4,000]hear,then my Icon R-75
[$450=$70.00 in mods=$520.00]can run side by side with your expensive
Ten Tec [because my R-75 was better [in a real life side by side test]
in hard core dxing than my R8b [sold after that].
I would not be buying a new car and modifying it either. An older out of
warranty car could be a different story. In my youth I was into street
racing and did just that.

I bet that my toyota [r-75] can run side by side with your your
mercedez [ten tec 340]
Some people just don't understand that anything manufactured has
engineering compromises built in. Each radio when designed has a slew of
compromises where one performance parameter is diminished in favor of
another. The result is that depending on situation and conditions one
radio will do better than another. Change the situation or conditions
and the other radio does better so which is best?

I agree with you 99.9% That was my point in all this tread.At last you
got it.
You generally get what you pay for. Spend more money on a radio and you
can get higher quality components resulting in better specifications,
reliability, capabilities or operational features.

This is the great myth again price=performance.Better
specifications? Tell me about your ten tech RX-340 dynamic range
/IP3[5khz]or blocking capacity.

Why don't you tell us? Your answer should be far more entertaining than
anything I could come up with seeing how "I got it" only yesterday.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California