RadioBanter

-   -   Icom R-75 question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39802-icom-r-75-question.html)

Neil Bell December 28th 03 10:32 PM

Icom R-75 question

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

Is an external speaker really needed?

Neil Bell

Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

|----------------------------------------------------------|

|----------------------------------------------------------|

Diverd4777 December 28th 03 11:03 PM

In article , Neil Bell
writes:

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

BCB

Hmmm.....
- OK

An external antenna helps;
but this is NOT IMHO a bcb heavy receiver;
It's designed NOT to really pick up BCB too well ( This eliminates overload)
you'd have to have Mods done to make it a BCB heavy set..

- However, I can usually pick up BCB stations ~1000 miles away..

Is an external speaker really needed?

IMHO, yes...
Either headphones, or Computer-type speakers;
( I mean, No sense in Icom making a Huge cabinet with a Huge speaker
if you can
have a " here's the signal" internal speaker
& a port for a good set of external speakers;

~ Dan ~

Neil Bell

Tony Meloche December 29th 03 12:20 AM

Neil Bell wrote:

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

It's very good - but I honestly feel it's no better than the
SuperRadio III in that regard (although that is very good, indeed).
Note I use it with a longwire - with a tunable loop, it might be even
better yet.

Is an external speaker really needed?

The built-in speaker is OK for momentary monitoring. But if you
aren't a dedicated headphone user, yes - I would get an external
speaker. The little RCA 40-5000 that Radio Shack sells for around $20
is fine for the purpose.

Tony

D. Kim December 29th 03 05:33 AM

Neil Bell wrote in message . ..
Is an external speaker really needed?

The reviews I read before purchase did not sing any praises for the
IC-R75s speaker so I had mine shipped directly to Kiwa for the
following mods:

--synchronous detector upgrade
--audio upgrade
--high fidelity audio filter
--R75 filter module

The sound is just fine, though for obvious reasons I can't compare it
now to what is would have sounded like.

__________________
IC-R75 / CW 40LP
Yokosuka, Japan

Pete KE9OA December 29th 03 09:04 AM

I've removed the MW attenuator from my R75, and now the unit has flat
response across the whole tuning range. It is not the easiest mod, but it is
worth the effort.

Pete

D. Kim wrote in message
m...

. ..

RHF December 29th 03 10:16 AM

NB,

Check-Out the Icom IC-R75 eGroup on YAHOO !
Over 6300 Messages and almost 900 Members.

There is a whole series of Messages on
the AM/MW/BCB Attenuator Modifications.

ihtthbh ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Neil Bell

Kenneth December 29th 03 03:37 PM

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

It's very good - but I honestly feel it's no better than the
SuperRadio III in that regard (although that is very good, indeed).
Note I use it with a longwire - with a tunable loop, it might be even
better yet.

Good joke, but in serious here what one of the top reviewer have to
say about the R-75:Excellent ultimate selectivity and good dinamic
range for faint signals,Dsp with aut notch filter helps improve
intelligibility of some tough signals and reduce heterodyne.Two levels
pre-amp allows excellent sensitivity to weak signals.After the removal
of the MW attenuator [Pete's mod]my R-75 have .07 uv sensitivity
figure in the MW band.In your complaining you don't mention the
antenna you are using and this is one of the most neglected points in
Mw dxing.With a first rate antenna you can overcome most of your MW
receptions problems.You can try a Kiwa loop, Justice ant or quantum
loop [internal] or a external loop like the K9AY.

Bill Hennessy December 29th 03 07:40 PM

Icom has quality control problems. Thay work great, when thay work.

Bill, N5NOB

Tony Meloche December 29th 03 09:55 PM

Kenneth wrote:

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

It's very good - but I honestly feel it's no better than the
SuperRadio III in that regard (although that is very good, indeed).
Note I use it with a longwire - with a tunable loop, it might be even
better yet.

Good joke, but in serious here what one of the top reviewer have to
say about the R-75:Excellent ultimate selectivity and good dinamic
range for faint signals,Dsp with aut notch filter helps improve
intelligibility of some tough signals and reduce heterodyne.Two levels
pre-amp allows excellent sensitivity to weak signals.After the removal
of the MW attenuator [Pete's mod]my R-75 have .07 uv sensitivity
figure in the MW band.In your complaining

I didn't complain - I am very happy with the I-75's MW capabilities.

you don't mention the
antenna you are using

Yes, I did - I said I was using a 110'longwire.

and this is one of the most neglected points in
Mw dxing.With a first rate antenna you can overcome most of your MW
receptions problems.You can try a Kiwa loop, Justice ant or quantum
loop [internal] or a external loop like the K9AY.

I deduced myself that it would probably give even better performance
with a loop - didn't you read my response?

Tony

RHF December 29th 03 10:31 PM

BH,

Never really heard that the Icon IC-R75
has had Quality Control Problems?

Amplify on what hese "QC" Prooblems Are - Please !

iwtk ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Bill Hennessy"

Diverd4777 December 29th 03 11:44 PM

Bought an R-75, from Universal radio, had them install the DSP
never had a probelm with it.

Great radio..!

.

Tony Meloche December 30th 03 01:41 AM

Diverd4777 wrote:

Bought an R-75, from Universal radio, had them install the DSP
never had a probelm with it.

Great radio..!

Mine works perfectly, and the tuner alignment is correct to within
2/100ths of a kilohertz. No complaints here.

Tony

Pete KE9OA December 30th 03 07:01 AM

I am glad that folks have given that mod a try. Not for the faint-hearted,
but it is worth it. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to
e-mail me.

Pete

RHF wrote in message
om...
NB,

Check-Out the Icom IC-R75 eGroup on YAHOO !
Over 6300 Messages and almost 900 Members.

There is a whole series of Messages on
the AM/MW/BCB Attenuator Modifications.

ihtthbh ~ RHF
.
.
= = = Neil Bell

. ..

CW December 30th 03 07:45 AM

Yes, you are.

"Kenneth" wrote in message
m...
Good joke,

RHF December 30th 03 09:46 AM

BH,

Hello, Can You Reply ?

Please Amplify on these "QC" Problems of the Icom IC-R75.

OBTW - BH, Do You Own an RL Drake R8 Receiver . . .

jftfoi ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (RHF)

Telamon December 31st 03 01:29 AM

In article ,
(D. Kim) wrote:

Neil Bell wrote in message
. ..
Is an external speaker really needed?

The reviews I read before purchase did not sing any praises for the
IC-R75s speaker so I had mine shipped directly to Kiwa for the
following mods:

--synchronous detector upgrade
--audio upgrade
--high fidelity audio filter
--R75 filter module

The sound is just fine, though for obvious reasons I can't compare it
now to what is would have sounded like.

The tiny speaker the R75 has can't sound very good. If you are going to
spend the money for those modifications then spend a little more and buy
an external speaker.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon December 31st 03 01:31 AM

In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

BH,

Never really heard that the Icon IC-R75
has had Quality Control Problems?

Amplify on what hese "QC" Prooblems Are - Please !

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.
= = = "Bill Hennessy"
= = = wrote in message
om...
Icom has quality control problems.
Thay work great, when thay work.

Bill, N5NOB

The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

GrtPmpkin32 December 31st 03 01:38 AM

The tiny speaker the R75 has can't sound very good. If you are going to
spend the money for those modifications then spend a little more and buy
an external speaker.

I'll agree with this point. I am a mostly-nighttime (bedroom) SWL and as such,
I use headphones exclusively, regardless of which radio(s) I'm playing with on
any given night. But, the few times I have used my R75 without phones, I
immediately set up external speakers with some EQ to get it to sound full
enough to seem 'real'... and this even after I had all modifications and
enhancements done (mostly by me, including installing Kiwa's synch upgrade,
which I simply bought from them and installed myself)... the R75's a fine radio
with phones, or with decent outboard speakers. But the tiny, front-firing stock
speaker isn't full enough to do the rest of the radio justice.
Linus

RHF December 31st 03 09:30 AM

TELAMON,

So had Icom come out with an R75A and R75B model like
the Drake R8A and R8B then it would be a good radio ?

IMHO: It's the R75's Mods that personalize the radio
and endears the R75 to it's owners.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = Telamon
= = = wrote in message ...
In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

BH,

Never really heard that the Icon IC-R75
has had Quality Control Problems?

Amplify on what these "QC" Problems Are - Please !

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.
= = = "Bill Hennessy"
om...

Telamon December 31st 03 10:22 AM

In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

TELAMON,

So had Icom come out with an R75A and R75B model like the Drake R8A
and R8B then it would be a good radio ?

Maybe R75K

K for Kenneth I figure.

IMHO: It's the R75's Mods that personalize the radio and endears the
R75 to it's owners.

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

= = = Telamon
= = = wrote in message
In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

BH,

Never really heard that the Icon IC-R75
has had Quality Control Problems?

Amplify on what these "QC" Problems Are - Please !

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.
= = = "Bill Hennessy"
om...

Kenneth January 1st 04 03:05 AM

= = = wrote in message

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

For example a ten-tec RX-340? This one have some flaws too and cost
$3,950.The sync selectable sideband lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter does
not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise blanker not
effective ect, ect, ect,.What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This
one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very
hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply],bassy sound
"virtually requieres a outboard speaker" [Passport],a cheap mechanical
encoder used to have an above -average failure rate [Why not an
optical one like in the AOR 7030+],a lot of birdies and background
hiss [from the syntetiser board and some Poor shielding and grounding
techniques ect ect ect.....My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP
included.It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters, Pete's
sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods
for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better
than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for dxing.
The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified. All receivers have design problems.

Telamon January 1st 04 05:11 AM

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

snip
= = = Telamon
= = = wrote in message

[...]

The Ten Tec RX340, Drake R8B and AOR 7030 perform to their
specifications and function as expected based on the literature that
describe them. ICOM made the decision not to fix the R75 design problems
so people that want it to work right have to modify it. I consider the
R75 as described to be false advertising. Cost has nothing to do with
the issue of whether the radio performs as advertised.

I use all three radios with external bookshelf speakers or headphones
because they sound better than the internal ones. The internal speakers
are OK on all three radios.

The improvement an SE-3 would bring to the RX340 would not be worth the
money to me. I donıt know where you got the information on static
crashes sounding worse than on other receivers. I have had no sign
spurious signals around 6 MHz either. All of the radios functions are
not available or even make sense in all modes of operation. All
functions are available and work as advertised. The noise blanker works
against some noise types and not others just like any other radio Iıve
used.

The Drake R8B does not run hot. Warm would be the best description. I
have measured the case temperature to be just a few degrees above room,
which is perfectly normal for a unit with an internal power supply. It
is my understanding that ICOM has made several radios that you canıt
keep your hand on however.

Iım not going to drop $450 - $500 bucks on a radio that I need to hack
for the AGC and sync to work right and I disagree that even after doing
so the radio ³is better² than the Ten-Tec, Drake or AOR receivers that
is just your opinion not based on fact.

These days Iım surprised someone has not sued ICOM.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

starman January 1st 04 07:42 AM

What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply]

The R8(x) transformer runs warmer than some receivers but in no way hot.
I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or associated AC
power supply components. The R75 doesn't have an internal power
transformer. It uses a wall wart, so it's not a fair comparison.

(R8B) ,bassy sound "virtually requieres a outboard speaker" [Passport],

'Passport' was making the point that the R8 requires an external speaker
to fully appreciate it's audio quality but it's not mandatory. IMO- If
any receiver needs an external speaker it's the R75. The OEM speaker
sounds more like a cheap CB radio. The R75 sounds much better with an
external speaker but it's still not as good as an R8, particularly for
program listening.

a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above -average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR 7030+]

The original R8 had an optical encoder. Drake says they changed it
because it had problems. Tests by myself and some others on this group
seem to indicate that the factory lubricant in the mechanical encoder is
the problem. After cleaning mine and relubing it with a synthetic
grease, it's been completely reliable for almost two years. I don't know
if Drake has made any changes in the OEM encoder lube in recent models.
The AOR-7030 also had problems with it's tuning encoder in the early
models.

,a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the syntetiser board and some Poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect ect.....

The early R8B (1997) had more birdies than expected for a receiver in
it's price class. The newer ones (since about 2000) have much fewer
birdies. I had a 97' and now have an 01', so I've heard the difference.

My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP included. It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters,

Those filters are not cheap. Take a look at Universal's website for the
prices.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0175.html

sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods
for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better
than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for dxing.

There is no sync' mod for the R75 that makes it work as well as the
sync' on an R8B.

The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified.

All receivers have design problems.

The design of any receiver is a compromise of cost vs. performance. I
prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many (if any) mod's,
than to pay less up front and then spend more time and money to get it
working acceptably.

BTW- I guess it was just a matter of time before this subject came
around again. I think it's clear who got it going. This will be my only
reply. I don't care who gets the last word.

Kenneth January 1st 04 04:00 PM

starman wrote in message ...
What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply]

The R8(x) transformer runs warmer than some receivers but in no way hot.
I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or associated AC
power supply components. The R75 doesn't have an internal power
transformer. It uses a wall wart, so it's not a fair comparison.

It run very hot and you know it and in a past post to this group you
attribute the problem to the "international voltages transformer" and
you wrote that you fix the problem using an external power supply.
(R8B) ,bassy sound "virtually requieres a
outboard speaker" [Passport],

'Passport' was making the point that the R8 requires an external speaker
to fully appreciate it's audio quality but it's not mandatory. IMO- If
any receiver needs an external speaker it's the R75. The OEM speaker
sounds more like a cheap CB radio. The R75 sounds much better with an
external speaker but it's still not as good as an R8, particularly for
program listening.

The R75 external speaker it's not mandatory too.But a lot of owners
are satisfied using only an external speaker with it.It's not a nice
experience to try to do hardcore dxing with the R8B bassy sound and
background hiss from the synthesizer circuit.I read your post asking
Pete for help in this issue.
a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above -average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR 7030+]

The original R8 had an optical encoder. Drake says they changed it
because it had problems. Tests by myself and some others on this group
seem to indicate that the factory lubricant in the mechanical encoder is
the problem. After cleaning mine and relubing it with a synthetic
grease, it's been completely reliable for almost two years. I don't know
if Drake has made any changes in the OEM encoder lube in recent models.
The AOR-7030 also had problems with it's tuning encoder in the early
models.

There is not excuse for a $1499 receiver having this cheap encoder.Ask
drake for a pro one like the one in the R-75 and AOR 7030+.
,a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the syntetiser board and some Poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect ect.....

The early R8B (1997) had more birdies than expected for a receiver in
it's price class. The newer ones (since about 2000) have much fewer
birdies. I had a 97' and now have an 01', so I've heard the difference.

2 week ago I read your posting asking Pete help for the problems with
synthesizer board circuit interaction cause by poor shielding and
grounding techniques.
My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP included. It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters,

Those filters are not cheap. Take a look at Universal's website for the
prices.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0175.html

The 3.3khz filter cost $7.00 and the 6khz $30.00 [from a company
closeout sale] nice filters with very good skirt shape factor.
sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods
for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better
than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for dxing.

There is no sync' mod for the R75 that makes it work as well as the
sync' on an R8B.

All the R-75 with kiwa Sync det mod owners are very happy with its
sync det performance.The difference is that we do the sideband
selecting by hand not aut [using the 2.4khz filter and the twin PBT.]A
shortwave receiver is not only a receiver with a good Sync det[the
R8B sync det is not a perfect one]but a receiver with good
stability,good skirt shape filters[the discontinued drake R7 have
better filter skirts than the R8B [from passport R8B white papers],1hz
tunning steps like the R-75,some DSP feature,good
sensitivity,oustanding SSB mode [like the [R75],exceptional quiet
circuitry [that the R8B don't have], and the most neglected part a
good MW/SW antenna.
The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified.

All receivers have design problems.

The design of any receiver is a compromise of cost vs. performance. I
prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many (if any) mod's,
than to pay less up front and then spend more time and money to get it
working acceptably.

But the problem is that you paid more for your used R8B and now you
have an expensive receiver that don't have DSP,only one pre-amp [R-75
two],not tune in 1hz increments,not tune up to 60MHZ,cheap mechanical
encoder with high rate record of failure [you are the best witness
because you had an encoder failure],a lot of background hiss and noise
from the synthesizer circuit and "some birdies" a "Kmart" calculator
keypad and tunning Knob and for some of this flaws NOT MOD AVAILABLE.
BTW- I guess it was just a matter of time before this subject came
around again. I think it's clear who got it going. This will be my only
reply. I don't care who gets the last word.

No me, I'm only reacting to someone who think that cost is synonymous
of performance.Maybe someone who read and believe without question
what Passport say about the R8B "It gets everything right"

Norskie Ned January 1st 04 04:07 PM

Subject: Icom R-75 question
From: (Kenneth)
Date: 1/1/2004 10:00 AM Central Standard Time
Redundant BS Snip

What's the frequency Kenneth?

Ya Sure, You Betcha.............
Olaf Tonder Johan Benjaminsen
Brimson, Minnesota

Kenneth January 1st 04 04:47 PM

Telamon wrote in message ...
[...]

background hiss [from the synthesizer board and some poor shielding
and grounding techniques ect ect ect.....My R75 cost only $450.00
with free DSP included.It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters,
Pete's sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this
mods for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work
better than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for hard core dxing.

The Ten Tec RX340, Drake R8B and AOR 7030 perform to their
specifications and function as expected based on the literature that
describe them. ICOM made the decision not to fix the R75 design problems
so people that want it to work right have to modify it. I consider the
R75 as described to be false advertising. Cost has nothing to do with
the issue of whether the radio performs as advertised.

But what about companies like Ten-tec and drake .Ten tec owners are
still waiting for the RX-350 sync det fixing and others flaws
fixing[check the complains in the RX-350 yahoo group].What about the
Ten Tec flaws that you can read in passport to world band? Why they
don't fix then? An now we are talking about a $3,999 receiver.What
about Drake R8b encoders,birdies,synthesizer circuit noise ect
ect,?All companies including Icom make excuses and try to compensate
with more advertizings in shortwave radio guides.But the difference
with Icom is that they decrease the R-75 price form $1,100 to $450.00
or $525.00 and are including a free DSP but Drake and others are
increasing the price of their receiver but they are not raising the
quality standards,.
I use all three radios with external bookshelf speakers or headphones
because they sound better than the internal ones. The internal speakers
are OK on all three radios.

In the R-75 too.But I agree with you that ext speakers sound a lot
better.
The improvement an SE-3 would bring to the RX340 would not be worth the
money to me. I donıt know where you got the information on static
crashes sounding worse than on other receivers. I have had no sign
spurious signals around 6 MHz either. I get the information from passport. All of the radios functions are
not available or even make sense in all modes of operation. All
functions are available and work as advertised. The noise blanker works
against some noise types and not others just like any other radio Iıve
used.

I agree
The Drake R8B does not run hot. Warm would be the best description. I
have measured the case temperature to be just a few degrees above room,
which is perfectly normal for a unit with an internal power supply. It
is my understanding that ICOM has made several radios that you canıt
keep your hand on however.

A lot of R8B owners are using an external power supply now.The
internal "international voltage transformer" and internal power supply
circuit keep generating a lot of heat even if you turn off the
receiver.[I don't read this anywhere I had a R8B sometime ago.]
Iım not going to drop $450 - $500 bucks on a radio that I need to hack
for the AGC and sync to work right and I disagree that even after doing
so the radio ³is better² than the Ten-Tec, Drake or AOR receivers that
is just your opinion not based on fact.

That's your privilege.My oppinion is based in the fact that I tested
both receivers for months and read almost all the reviews available
but I'm not expecting that you like my facts.
These days Iım surprised someone has not sued ICOM.

If the price increase more than $700.00 in the next months I will be
the first.

N8KDV January 1st 04 05:45 PM

Kenneth wrote:

starman wrote in message ...
What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply]

The R8(x) transformer runs warmer than some receivers but in no way hot.
I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or associated AC
power supply components. The R75 doesn't have an internal power
transformer. It uses a wall wart, so it's not a fair comparison.

It run very hot and you know it

Huh? What the hell do you consider 'very hot'?

RHF January 1st 04 09:56 PM

STARMAN,

"BTW- I guess it was just a matter of time before this subject
came around again. I think it's clear who got it going. This
will be my only reply. I don't care who gets the last word."

POF - Actually it all re-started when "BH" posted this and
never responded after two requests for details and facts.

* * * * B O M B S - A W A Y * * * *
Bill Hennessy )
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 2003-12-29 11:40:58 PST
Icom has quality control problems.
Thay work great, when thay work.
Bill, N5NOB
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

wmcis ~ RHF
..
..
= = = starman

Telamon January 2nd 04 10:32 PM

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.
..
[...]

7030+],a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the synthesizer
[...]

People will only value your opinion depending on how close it resembles
reality.

Donıt worry yourself over whether I like what you post as long as it is
correct.

It is reasonable to differ over wants and needs but specifications or
facts are generally not arguable. If you misunderstand what someone has
wrote and continue to argue some point (several actually) as you have
been doing your credibility will be zero.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Mark Harper January 2nd 04 11:14 PM

In article , k1c2
@hotmail.com once wrote .......
= = = wrote in message

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

Why not just simply buy it - and see if you're happy with its performance
?

out of the box, the R-75 receives, and does so very well, its easy to
control, has a very intuitive operating system, and the fact that most of
the fiddly settings are in the menu (where you won't inadvertantly fiddle
with them) means you can use it out the box without reading the manual
(as its default settings are adequate)

the mods are simply to improve its performance, if the user wishes to do
so they're not compulsory - I'm more than happy with my vanilla R-75 -
runs OK for me - I may add the filters, and the DSP at a later date, but
for the moment. it does the job!

Of course - just MHO!

--
Mark

Telamon January 3rd 04 12:37 AM

In article ,
Mark Harper wrote:

In article , k1c2
@hotmail.com once wrote .......
= = = wrote in message

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

Why not just simply buy it - and see if you're happy with its performance
?

out of the box, the R-75 receives, and does so very well, its easy to
control, has a very intuitive operating system, and the fact that most of
the fiddly settings are in the menu (where you won't inadvertantly fiddle
with them) means you can use it out the box without reading the manual
(as its default settings are adequate)

the mods are simply to improve its performance, if the user wishes to do
so they're not compulsory - I'm more than happy with my vanilla R-75 -
runs OK for me - I may add the filters, and the DSP at a later date, but
for the moment. it does the job!

I'm glad you are happy with the R75 but I have read the manual and I
don't like the way the controls operate and there is the problem that
the AGC and sync circuits that either don't work or have performance
problems that ICOM will not address so I would be relegated to voiding
the warranty by modifying the radio. I would not be happy with an
unmodified R75 as you are.

The R75 has nothing new in the way of features or performance that I
already have with the other radios I own.

I would not call the way the squelch / RF gain knob operates as
intuitive and from reading the manual it seems to me a novice could
easily get the radio in a condition where nothing would be heard from
it or have the sound grossly distorted.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon January 3rd 04 08:47 AM

In article ,
"CW" wrote:

I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post. It's to give
everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel.

snip

You know better. Kenneth messed up the formatting and I was not going to
spend the time to fix it seeing as Iım already talking to a brick wall
on the R75. With some care taken you would have been able to read the
flow of the conversation top to bottom is the reason.

The result of not following this convention is that other people reading
the thread will not be able to follow who said what and the conversation
between two or more people will not make sense either.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF January 3rd 04 08:49 AM

CW,

"I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post.
It's to give everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel."

This is what the "Google Groups - Posting Style Guide" has to say.

Summarize what you are following up.
When you follow up an existing article, Google Groups includes the
full article in quotes, with the cursor at the top of the article.
Tempting though it is to just start typing your message, please STOP
and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and delete parts that
are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and start typing
there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get through
your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your
comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your
reply appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get
the gist of what you're talking about.
Cite appropriate references.

There Are NO Rights - There Are NO Wrongs - Its All A Matter Of STYLE
!

Most Times I 'post' On Top.

Some Times I 'post' within "=R="

I Seldom 'post' at the Bottom.

pms ~ RHF
= = = Pardon My Style :o)
..
..
= = = "CW"
= = = wrote in message ...
I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post. It's to give
everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.

..
- - - S N I P - - -
..
..

Kenneth January 3rd 04 01:05 PM

Telamon wrote in message
.

For example a ten-tec RX-340? This one have some flaws too and
cost $3,950.The sync selectable sideband lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter
does not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise
blanker not effective ect, ect, ect,.What about a Drake R8B?
Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the
power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power
supply],bassy sound "virtually requieres a outboard speaker"
[Passport],a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above
-average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR
7030+],a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the synthesizer
board and some poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect
ect..... But what about companies like Ten-tec and drake .Ten tec owners are

[...]

"If you have a glass roof don't throw stones to others".I did the
tests and I did the research looking for others experiences,expert
reviews,an articles and after dozens of e-mails received from others
honest drake and ten tec owners that want to fix their receivers flaws
and not hide the facts [their receivers flaws] under the rug I react
to others postings.If you check the R-75 yahoo group you will see
honest owners sharing the pro and con of the R-75 and in the process
finding the answers and solutions to their radio few problems.The myth
of the perfect receiver without any flaw was found to be false.For
example check the passport reviews and see for yourself all the ten
tec 340 flaws that they found.If for you, passport credibility is zero
thats ok with me,but if you like to go to a group like this posting
about why you don't like the Icom receiver this is your privilege but
don't begin to groan and talk about "zero credibility" if someone
point out your own receiver faults.

Norskie Ned January 3rd 04 03:32 PM

From: (Kenneth)
Date: 1/3/2004 7:05 AM Central Standard Time
Telamon wrote in message
.

[...]

Olaf Tonder Johan Benjaminssen
Brimson, Minnesota

Sel January 3rd 04 09:59 PM

Telamon wrote:

I'm glad you are happy with the R75 but I have read the manual and I

So, you haven't actually used or owned one? but you are happy to tell
others not to buy!

The R75 has nothing new in the way of features or performance that I
already have with the other radios I own.

And?

I would not call the way the squelch / RF gain knob operates as
intuitive and from reading the manual

See above.

it seems to me a novice could
easily get the radio in a condition where nothing would be heard from
it or have the sound grossly distorted.

This has never happened to me.

It seems to me you qualify for the title of expert. Someone who helps
people go wrong with confidence.

--
Sel ........ :)

Icom R-75 E
Icom PCR-1000
Sangean 909
Sangean 404
Uniden UBC9000XLT
Uniden UBC120XLT

http://sel.enternet.co.nz/weathersat.html

CW January 3rd 04 11:34 PM

**** on 'em.

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
CW,

= = = wrote in message ...
I've finally realized why some people like to bottom post. It's to give
everyone a chance to test there scroll wheel.

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message