RadioBanter

-   -   Icom R-75 question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39802-icom-r-75-question.html)

Telamon January 4th 04 06:17 AM

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.

For example a ten-tec RX-340? This one have some flaws too and
cost $3,950.The sync selectable sideband lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter
does not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise
blanker not effective ect, ect, ect,.What about a Drake R8B?
Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the
power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power
supply],bassy sound "virtually requieres a outboard speaker"
[Passport],a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above
-average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR
7030+],a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the synthesizer
board and some poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect
ect..... But what about companies like Ten-tec and drake .Ten tec
owners are
still waiting for the RX-350 sync det fixing and others flaws
fixing[check the complains in the RX-350 yahoo group].What about the
Ten Tec flaws that you can read in passport to world band? Why they
don't fix then? An now we are talking about a $3,999 receiver.What
about Drake R8b encoders,birdies,synthesizer circuit noise ect
ect,?All companies including Icom make excuses and try to compensate
with more advertizings in shortwave radio guides.But the difference
with Icom is that they decrease the R-75 price form $1,100 to $450.00
or $525.00 and are including a free DSP but Drake and others are
increasing the price of their receiver but they are not raising the
quality standards,.

It is reasonable to differ over wants and needs but specifications or
facts are generally not arguable. If you misunderstand what someone has
wrote and continue to argue some point (several actually) as you have
been doing your credibility will be zero.

"If you have a glass roof don't throw stones to others".I did the
tests and I did the research looking for others experiences,expert
reviews,an articles and after dozens of e-mails received from others
honest drake and ten tec owners that want to fix their receivers flaws
and not hide the facts [their receivers flaws] under the rug I react
to others postings.If you check the R-75 yahoo group you will see
honest owners sharing the pro and con of the R-75 and in the process
finding the answers and solutions to their radio few problems.The myth
of the perfect receiver without any flaw was found to be false.For
example check the passport reviews and see for yourself all the ten
tec 340 flaws that they found.If for you, passport credibility is zero
thats ok with me,but if you like to go to a group like this posting
about why you don't like the Icom receiver this is your privilege but
don't begin to groan and talk about "zero credibility" if someone
point out your own receiver faults.

I tried being polite and that didn't work so now I'll be more direct.
You have a reading comprehension problem. One radio (R75) does not meet
its published specifications and all the others in the discussion
(RX340, R8B, AOR7030+) do meet their stated specifications and function.
You read the manual and operate these three radios and you get what you
expect. You read the R75 manual and you don't get what you expect. If
that does not get through to you I give up. You have to modify the radio
to get it to work as described.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon January 4th 04 06:36 AM

In article ,
Sel wrote:

Telamon wrote:

I'm glad you are happy with the R75 but I have read the manual and I

So, you haven't actually used or owned one? but you are happy to tell
others not to buy!

Well Sel in a perfect world I would but I don't have unlimited time and
money so I've done the next best thing and researched it. I've read many
different people opinions that do own it, read the manual, read about
the design modifications to get the R75 up to speed.

The R75 has nothing new in the way of features or performance that I
already have with the other radios I own.

And?

And what?

I would not call the way the squelch / RF gain knob operates as
intuitive and from reading the manual

See above.

So what are you trying to say, that another aspect of the radio does not
follow the operation instructions in the manual?

it seems to me a novice could

I didn't say a novice could not just that they could more easily get
themselves in trouble with the R75. I would not call the AOR7030+ a
beginner radio either.

easily get the radio in a condition where nothing would be heard from
it or have the sound grossly distorted.

This has never happened to me.

Well good for you.

It seems to me you qualify for the title of expert. Someone who helps
people go wrong with confidence.

Thanks for conferring the title of expert upon me.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Pete KE9OA January 4th 04 09:36 AM

I can't comment on some of these receivers, but I can comment on the
AOR7030. Meets its specs? Maybe, but after 1 year of use, some unadvertised
"bonuses" were thrown in. The mode switches have developed bounce problems
which could have easily been addressed in software. The mechanical tuning
encoder has been noisy since day one, sometimes "scanning" the frequencies
on its own. The sensitivity is definitely not on a par with the R75. I don't
care what the unit is specified as; the MDS on the R75 is better. According
to Dave Zantos, the 7030 Plus isn't much better. On his sample unit, the
optical encoder shaft developed a wobble after about one year. His 7030 Plus
had a low level background noise on signals that wasn't present with the
7030. It is suspected that the removal of the shielding from the synthesizer
might be causing the problem.
I do have both the R75 and the AOR7030, and after two years, the R75 has not
had any problems surface.
If the 7030 wasn't a Christmas gift from my wife, I would have sold this
unit a long time ago.
On the subject of the R75, I know, the sync detector isn't the best in the
world, and the "large front mounted speaker" is a joke, but in terms of RF
handling, selectivity, etc, the R75 is a very good receiver.
Normally, I don't step into this kind of discussion, but sometimes, there is
more than meets the eye in this situation.
If anybody doesn't like the R75, that's fine...................still, it is
a fairly good receiver, especially for the 450 dollar price tag that this
unit is being sold for. Okay, the sync detector doesn't work. I remember the
NRD545 review a few years back. When the author of the article questioned
JRC about the ultimate rejection problem of the DSP section ,he was informed
that JRC didn't have any intention of addressing this problem. In another
thread in this newsgroup, I read that there was a mod to clean up the
"monkey chatter".

Pete

Telamon wrote in message
In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

.

starman January 4th 04 09:50 AM

Pete KE9OA wrote:
snipped

On the subject of the R75, I know, the sync detector isn't the best in the
world

Pete,

Have you thought about incorporating one of your sync' detector designs
to the R75? It might prove to be the ultimate sync' mod for it.

Kenneth January 4th 04 06:00 PM

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
[...]
unit is being sold for. Okay, the sync detector doesn't work. Hi Pete nice review.About the R75 sync det,Kiwa CO have a fix for it: Synchronous Detector Upgrade

Kiwa provides two major upgrades to the Synchronous Detector. Together
they provide enhanced performance where the PLL stays "locked" under
the most difficult signal conditions.The first upgrade is best
described as a "dual speed control voltage". The control voltage for
the PLL filter is tuned within an optimum window that is determined by
signal conditions.The response is slow to maintain a "centered"
condition. A second circuit provides the control accuracy to react to
fast flutter fading and noisey conditions. These two circuits provide
a dual speed control for the PLL.
The second major upgrade is to the Synchronous AM AGC. The dual speed
technique is used again to first center the AGC but still allow for
quick short changes in AGC characteristics as required by signal
conditions.In the yahoo R-75 group we have two other sync det mod
projects,one of this mods use a comparator[339]and work very good and
the cost is less than $7.00 for the total mod.I'm using your Pete's
[sensitivity mod] and now this receiver shine in the MW band.After did
your mod I tested it with a drake R8B and for hard core dxing the Icon
won hands down,thanks for the R75 exceptional quit circuitry,the help
of its nice DSP and your well designed sensitivity mod.

Kenneth January 4th 04 06:28 PM

starman wrote in message ...
Pete KE9OA wrote:
snipped

On the subject of the R75, I know, the sync detector isn't the best in the
world

Pete,

Have you thought about incorporating one of your sync' detector designs
to the R75? It might prove to be the ultimate sync' mod for it.

Yes an maybe better than the R8b sync det [a very good one]
but not perfect Pete is a great designer and he inspired and working
very hard now in his sync det project.My own R-75 sync det [with a 339
comparator mod] is working for me an greatly reduce fading distortion
and diminishing and eliminating adjacent channel interference and is
sideband selectable [manually] using a 2.4 stock filter and selecting
manually [with the twin PBT] the less interfered of the two
sideband.Yes the R8b sync use a different aut sync circuity but if my
R75 sync det is working ok, then what is the motive for keep yearning
for the "ultimate sync"?

Telamon January 4th 04 07:23 PM

In article
,
"Pete KE9OA" wrote:

[...]

What I find interesting about this discussion is that I can't express my
opinion on the R75 without people responding with complete illogic and
in addition they insist on adding to the meaning of what I wrote.

I made specific and clear reference to what I objected to as design and
not QC problems.

Whether another radio has QC problems or not has nothing to do with my
objections to the R75.

Whether or not someone has a different performance issue with another
radio has nothing to do with my objections on the R75 either.

The cost of another radio has nothing to do with my objections with the
R75. I don't care if it was offered for $45 bucks I don't want it. I'm
not a youngster and in the past I have taken the cheap route out of
necessity. Turns out I was never happy later on and found I was better
off waiting and saving for what I really wanted so the cost argument
falls on deaf ears.

So reading between the lines does that mean I think someone is an idiot
for buying this radio. No. The R75 has good things going for it and some
people are willing to overlook my objections or fix them. Fine with me
that's their decision.

The R75 modified or not works well for people that use it in a way that
does not interest me. Modified or not the R75 will not work as well as
the radios I own in the way I use them, which is program listening.

I prefer working on antenna performance instead of buying a radio I
would to modify to suit my preferences. Those are my preferences,
opinion and I don't think people that differ from it are nuts.

Telamon wrote in message
In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message

.

[...]

Well Kenneth it you keep on making false statements thatıs what you will
have ³zero credibility.² And it does not help your arguments to redirect
issues either. Try staying on point.

Telamon January 4th 04 07:56 PM

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

starman wrote in message
Pete KE9OA wrote: snipped

[...]

Keep dreaming about making the R75 sync as well as the R8B. And be sure
to show some objective tests when you get a chance.

I traded in a R8 for an R8B for the design improvements in the sync
circuits.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF January 4th 04 10:14 PM

So I Said To Myself... SELF !

How Effective are these Modifications to the Icom IC-R75 Owner ?
{ The Icom IC-R75 Question -&- The Question of the Icom IC-R75 }

I guess that there is value, Value. and VALUE !

"value," = Simple Cost of an Product or Service.

"Value." = Cost and Benefit = Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA).

"VALUE !" = The 'personal' "Value" that an Individual or
a Group places on, or assigns to, a Product or Service.
(The Social Dynamic {Status} of the Purchase and Ownership.)

EXAMPLE: Drake R8_ Owners -=V=- Icom R75 OWNERS.

* The Drake R8_ Owner may have the better radio out of
the box and takes pride in owning a higher prices radio.
TBL: The Drake R8_ has "Value."

* The Icom R75 OWNER gets a lower cost radio and does,
or has done, some Modifications to the basic radio.
The Icom R75 now becomes "MY ICOM R75" the Icom R75 Owner
becomes and "OWNER" and through the Modification Process
developes a 'personal' Relationship with HIS "R75".
TBL: The Icom R75 has "VALUE !" to the Icom R75 "OWNER".

Sort-a-Like Automobiles:

* The 'average' "New Car" Owner Likes their New Car and
Enjoys Driving It. (Has the Status that a New Car Confers.)

* The 'individual' who OWNS and Older Restored Car
from the 1950s - 1960s (The Golden Age of Automobiles)
has a 'personal' "Relationship" with MY CAR.
TBL: Love It -or- Hate It = ITS "MY" CAR !

The Psychology of Ownership
- - - = = = V = = = - - -
The Psychosis of OWNERSHIP !
(YES - It's a Fine Madness !)

awc? ~ RHF
= = = Are We Communicating ?
..
..
= = =
= = = (RHF) wrote in message . com...

STARMAN,

"BTW- I guess it was just a matter of time before this subject
came around again. I think it's clear who got it going. This
will be my only reply. I don't care who gets the last word."

POF - Actually it all re-started when "BH" posted this and
never responded after two requests for details and facts.

* * * * B O M B S - A W A Y * * * *
Bill Hennessy )
Subject: Icom R-75 question
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 2003-12-29 11:40:58 PST
Icom has quality control problems.
Thay work great, when thay work.
Bill, N5NOB
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

wmcis ~ RHF
.
.

= = = starman
= = = wrote in message ...

All receivers have design problems.

The design of any receiver is a compromise of cost vs. performance.
I prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many (if any)
mod's, than to pay less up front and then spend more time and money
to get it working acceptably.

D. Kim January 5th 04 12:20 AM

The reviews I read before purchase did not sing any praises for the
IC-R75s speaker so I had mine shipped directly to Kiwa for the
following mods:

--synchronous detector upgrade
--audio upgrade
--high fidelity audio filter
--R75 filter module

The sound is just fine, though for obvious reasons I can't compare it
now to what is would have sounded like.

The tiny speaker the R75 has can't sound very good. If you are going to
spend the money for those modifications then spend a little more and buy
an external speaker.

That was my intent all along before I actually got it and listened to
it with the mods. Now I'm not really in a hurry as the sounds if
fine. When dx'ng I plug in my Grado SR80 headphones. I find it more
useful to read opinons from ppl who have actually used a product.
Kiwa's synch upgrade is top notch and I second the positive comments
for this mod. Had no qualms with sending my unit directly to Kiwa as
after several e-mails back and forth between Kiwa and iCOM they pretty
much said that the warranty would still be good as long as the mods
were done "cleanly". ymmv.

Kenneth January 5th 04 02:42 AM

Telamon wrote in message
"Pete KE9OA" wrote:

[...]

What? You don't like other refuting your arguments? Pete [owner of
both] is not expresing his oppinion he is talking about a real life
AOR 7030 vs R75 experience.
I made specific and clear reference to what I objected to as design and
not QC problems.

Yes an I made specific and clear reference to the drake and ten tec
340 design problems too.

The cost of another radio has nothing to do with my objections with the
R75.

My point is that price is not synonymous of performance.I have
some savings too and I had the R8b in my shack but I know that with a
good antenna the R75 can pick-up and make inteligible any SW/MW/
signal in the air and in my test outperformed the drake in hardcore
dxing.I think that the R75 low price and nice performance is not good
news to owners of expensive receiver who believed that a low cost
receiver mean poor performance.I remember that the early R75 price was
about $1,100 sometime ago.
So reading between the lines does that mean I think someone is an idiot
for buying this radio. No. The R75 has good things going for it and some
people are willing to overlook my objections or fix them. Fine with me
that's their decision.

Yes very intelligent and knowledgeable people are fixing them an
saving a lot of moneys without sacrifice performance.
The R75 modified or not works well for people that use it in a way that
does not interest me. Modified or not the R75 will not work as well as
the radios I own in the way I use them, which is program listening.

Now your are expressing your personal oppinion an not a tested
scientific fact but I respect it.

don't begin to groan and talk about "zero credibility" if someone
point out your own drake R8B and ten tec 340 receiver faults.

Well Kenneth it you keep on making false statements thatıs what you will
have ³zero credibility.² And it does not help your arguments to redirect
issues either. Try staying on point.

Why not go to passport to world band radio page 158 and read for
yourself the ten tec 340 flaws? What not check the R8b articles and
this group archives reports about others R8B owners postings about the
r8b birdies,synthesizer noise,cheapy encoder,background hiss,filters
shape factors good but not excellent [for a receiver in this price]
ect ect.If I'm wrong then I'm in good company.Who is the one that are
making false statement now? Your only defence is to talk about
credibility but everyone following this treads know that 1 year ago
when I pointed to the internal R8b tranformer heat ,encoder
failures,and synthesizer noise you and others R8B owner start to claim
about credibility issues but now all those guys are running their r8B
with an external power supply,looking for shielding and grounding
techniques for its synthesizer noise and some had problems with the
mechanical encoder.

Llgpt January 5th 04 03:09 AM

From: (Kenneth)
Date: 1/4/2004 8:42 PM Central Standard Time
Telamon wrote in message
"Pete KE9OA" wrote:

[...]

Most of us who own R8B receivers used an external dc power supply, I have used
one for many, many years going back to Drake R7A and JRC NRD series. Nothing
new there, you talk as though you invented this idea when you "pointed" that
out........

Take your medications and calm down Kenneth, the world isn't coming to an end.

Les

Telamon January 5th 04 04:15 AM

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message

snip

[...]

Your credibility is Z E R O. You are not in good company. You are off in
some part of space where logic and reading comprehension don't exist.

The thread is "ICOM R75 question" not Ten-Tec or Drake or AOR.

You are wrong and can't win the argument so you will point your finger
at something else. This also results in your not staying on topic.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon January 5th 04 04:27 AM

In article ,
(D. Kim) wrote:

[...]

Can't argue with the logic of putting greater weight behind someoneıs
opinion that owns the radio but the small speaker in a metal box just
isn't going to compare a bookshelf speaker or quality headphones. I
think this is a pretty safe assumption to make.

How sure are you about the warranty still being in force? How would Icom
be expected to fix a radio that is modified in some way? This would not
be a safe assumption to make.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

phil :) January 5th 04 04:36 AM

hi Neil:

Kiwa offers Pete's MW mod but even without it the R75 MW SSB sensitivity is
2.0 uV [pre-amps OFF]. external noise on MW is ~10 dBuV [3.16 uV]. antenna
is critical on MW: indoors get a Quantum QX loop or build a 34" square box
loop, outdoors a K9AY (need 40' square) or beverages. get an external
speaker; the internal is small and covered with plastic to resist dust
entry.

hi Telamon:

I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that
must be modified to work as advertised.

no problem. but aren't you this electronics guru? imagine a machine shop
owner buying his car based on stock horsepower while balking at someone
bolting on a supercharger. what can you hear on your RX340 that you cannot
on your R8B? on an R75? please site specific specs. we all know the answer
and that is why the R75 is now one of the best selling tabletops.

hi Starman:

I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or
associated AC power supply components.

strawman argument? there are no failures, there are alignments.

The R75 sounds much better with an external speaker but it's
still not as good as an R8, particularly for program listening.

the modded R75 has fidelity, working SAM, and a better filter for SAM
sideband selection.

There is no sync' mod for the R75 that makes it work as
well as the sync' on an R8B.

says who? the guy who in 2002 said the R75 had "no synchronous selectable
sideband" then in 2004 said DUH "synchronous selectable sideband actually
being somewhat functional". the guy who in 2003 could not get a Kiwa modded
R75 to review but in 2004 sited "exceptionally fast turnaround"? the guy
who stated "added crispness marginally improves audio" but got the wrong
audio mod? the guy who "forgot" the "1/2" on the Kiwa modded R75's rating?

I prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many
(if any) mod's, than to pay less up front and then spend
more time and money to get it working acceptably.

spend time doing what? the work has already been done. you send Kiwa a
radio and an $80 check. who knows, maybe 2004 will be the year you fix the
R8B's synthesizer with encoder lubricant.

regards,
phil

phil :) January 5th 04 04:37 AM

Your credibility is Z E R O. You are not in good company. You are off in
some part of space where logic and reading comprehension don't exist.

The thread is "ICOM R75 question" not Ten-Tec or Drake or AOR.

You are wrong and can't win the argument so you will point your finger at
something else. This also results in your not staying on topic.

damn Telamon, i laughed out loud when i read this, what a classic! you're
really fired up.

regards,
phil

Pete KE9OA January 5th 04 08:00 AM

It might be a good thing, if only I could get one of them to work properly.
The quasi-sync detector has been the best sounding one so far, but it is no
better than the TDA1572's balanced detector.
The 4046/SA602 detector still needs some work.................I think that
Phase Detector 2 is unsuitable for this purpose. I need to use Phase
Detector 1, which shifts the VCO by 90 degrees. This could work, if I can
come up with a suitable phase shift network.
I just completed the intial design of the AD607 based sync detector, and
boy, does this one have problems! When I am tuned to center channel, the
system howls, but if I detune to either LSB or USB, everything is ok. This
circuit is based on Mike Murphys application note from Analog Devices. It
just may work out, with some fine tuning. This has been the best iteration
so far. Analog Devices has eliminated the AGC detector in the latest
versions of the AD607, whereas Mr. Murphy's design is based on one of the
older versions that does have this detector. I do have some samples of the
older version, so I will throw that on the board tomorrow, and see how it
works out.
Those sync detectors have been the hardest part of this radio design!
Compared to my current iterations, the Icom R75 sync detector is a gem. This
gives you an idea of just how bad my sync detectors are! I'll get them
running.........they are only a collection of parts!

Pete

starman wrote in message
snipped

Pete KE9OA January 5th 04 08:05 AM

I am glad that it worked out...............actually, I have also removed the
attenuator from my FGR 100B. This also turned out to be a good MW receiver,
but the FRG100B has that cheap sounding audio, and the AGC attack is a bit
slow. One of these days, when I get the time, I will dig into it and make
some changes.
That fellow at Kiwa sounds like a pretty sharp fellow; he has some
worthwhile mods, including his filter upgrades.

Pete

Kenneth wrote in message
om...

starman January 5th 04 08:12 AM

Pete KE9OA wrote:

Those sync detectors have been the hardest part of this radio design!
Compared to my current iterations, the Icom R75 sync detector is a gem. This
gives you an idea of just how bad my sync detectors are! I'll get them
running.........they are only a collection of parts!

You're learning why so few receivers have been made with a good sync'
detector.
Keep up the good work.

D. Kim January 5th 04 12:15 PM

How sure are you about the warranty still being in force? How would Icom
be expected to fix a radio that is modified in some way? This would not
be a safe assumption to make.

I don't like to ass_u_me either!

Rick KB1KIL January 5th 04 12:57 PM

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
.
..
The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does
have design problems and is the reason people have the units
modified.

For example a ten-tec RX-340? This one have some flaws too and
cost $3,950.The sync selectable sideband lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter
does not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise
blanker not effective ect, ect, ect,.What about a Drake R8B?
Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the
power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power
supply],bassy sound "virtually requieres a outboard speaker"
[Passport],a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above
-average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR
7030+],a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the synthesizer
board and some poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect
ect.....My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP included.It have
installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters, Pete's sensitivity mod,339
comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods for less than
$50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better than a
R8B [and others expensive receivers] for hard core dxing.

The Ten Tec RX340, Drake R8B and AOR 7030 perform to their
specifications and function as expected based on the literature
that describe them. ICOM made the decision not to fix the R75
design problems so people that want it to work right have to modify
it. I consider the R75 as described to be false advertising. Cost
has nothing to do with the issue of whether the radio performs as
advertised.

But what about companies like Ten-tec and drake .Ten tec owners are
still waiting for the RX-350 sync det fixing and others flaws
fixing[check the complains in the RX-350 yahoo group].What about the
Ten Tec flaws that you can read in passport to world band? Why they
don't fix then? An now we are talking about a $3,999 receiver.What
about Drake R8b encoders,birdies,synthesizer circuit noise ect
ect,?All companies including Icom make excuses and try to compensate
with more advertizings in shortwave radio guides.But the difference
with Icom is that they decrease the R-75 price form $1,100 to $450.00
or $525.00 and are including a free DSP but Drake and others are
increasing the price of their receiver but they are not raising the
quality standards,.
I use all three radios with external bookshelf speakers or
headphones because they sound better than the internal ones. The
internal speakers are OK on all three radios.

In the R-75 too.But I agree with you that ext speakers sound a lot
better.
The improvement an SE-3 would bring to the RX340 would not be worth
the money to me. I donıt know where you got the information on
static crashes sounding worse than on other receivers. I have had
no sign spurious signals around 6 MHz either.

I get the information from passport.

All of the radios functions are
not available or even make sense in all modes of operation. All
functions are available and work as advertised. The noise blanker
works against some noise types and not others just like any other
radio Iıve used.

I agree
The Drake R8B does not run hot. Warm would be the best description.
I have measured the case temperature to be just a few degrees above
room, which is perfectly normal for a unit with an internal power
supply. It is my understanding that ICOM has made several radios
that you canıt keep your hand on however.

A lot of R8B owners are using an external power supply now.The
internal "international voltage transformer" and internal power
supply circuit keep generating a lot of heat even if you turn off the
receiver.[I don't read this anywhere I had a R8B sometime ago.]
Iım not going to drop $450 - $500 bucks on a radio that I need to
hack for the AGC and sync to work right and I disagree that even
after doing so the radio ³is better² than the Ten-Tec, Drake or AOR
receivers that is just your opinion not based on fact.

That's your privilege.My oppinion is based in the fact that I tested
both receivers for months and read almost all the reviews available
but I'm not expecting that you like my facts.
These days Iım surprised someone has not sued ICOM.

If the price increase more than $700.00 in the next months I will be
the first.

People will only value your opinion depending on how close it resembles
reality.

Donıt worry yourself over whether I like what you post as long as it is
correct.

It is reasonable to differ over wants and needs but specifications or
facts are generally not arguable. If you misunderstand what someone has
wrote and continue to argue some point (several actually) as you have
been doing your credibility will be zero.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I own a R75 and have no complaints. It performs to my satisfaction and I
listen to regularly. As for quality control, it was never an issue with this
one. I've had the radio almost a year and listen to it daily with not one
glitch. I've never had any modifications done either. The only thing added
was the dsp unit.

73's
Rick

Drake R8 R8B
ICOM R75
Yaesu 7700
Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17

"If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?"

Kenneth January 5th 04 01:26 PM

Telamon wrote in message

Why not go to passport to world band radio page 158 and read for
yourself the ten tec 340 flaws? What not check the R8b articles and
this group archives reports about others R8B owners postings about
the r8b birdies,synthesizer noise,cheapy encoder,background
hiss,filters shape factors good but not excellent [for a receiver in
this price] ect ect.If I'm wrong then I'm in good company.

Your credibility is Z E R O. You are not in good company. You are off in
some part of space where logic and reading comprehension don't exist.

Give me your address and I will send you the passport Ten tec 340
flaws findings report copies for free.Because you don't have the facts
then you are using other resourses like personal attacks to the
messager and ignoring [hiding under the rug]the message [about the
drake R8B and ten tec 340 flaws].You talk about credibility but the
liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that
he cannot believe anyone else.Your logic is the art of going wrong
with confidence.
The thread is "ICOM R75 question" not Ten-Tec or Drake or AOR.

Yes this is a tread about the Icom R75 and start with someone asking
questions about the R75 to actual Icom R75 owners.Then you gave your
personal oppinion [no sustained with facts]an we only are reacting to
it.
You are wrong and can't win the argument so you will point your finger
at something else. This also results in your not staying on topic.

Yes your oppinion is only your oppinion.You want to believe
that I,m wrong ok, not problem, but in all my posting in this tread I
included others reviewers and articles data and you only talk about
your personal oppinions that I respect but differ.Your baseless
statement "Your credibility is Z E R O" is a pathetic scream from
someone seized in a denial state.

Kenneth January 5th 04 02:25 PM

"phil :)" wrote in message ...
hi Neil:

Kiwa offers Pete's MW mod but even without it the R75 MW SSB sensitivity is
2.0 uV [pre-amps OFF]. external noise on MW is ~10 dBuV [3.16 uV]. antenna
is critical on MW:

Yes and after Pete's mod the sensitivity is .07 uv.
hi Telamon:

I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that
must be modified to work as advertised.

no problem. but aren't you the electronics guru? imagine a machine shop
owner buying his car based on stock horsepower while balking at someone
bolting on a supercharger. what can you hear on your RX340 that you cannot
on your R8B? on an R75? please site specific specs. we all know the answer
and that is why the R75 is now one of the best selling tabletops.

Yes Phil right in the dead center, nice argument.

hi Starman:

I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or
associated AC power supply components.

strawman argument? there are no failures, there are alignments.

Yes expensive friendly [$$$$$] aligments from Mr Drake an his nice
service guys.Any 101 course electronic technician knows that extreme
heat near delicated component can change its critical tolerance and
with that the need for aligments.Why do you think the drake service
dept is so famous?.
The R75 sounds much better with an external

speaker but it's
still not as good as an R8, particularly for program listening.

the modded R75 has fidelity, working SAM, and a better filter for SAM
sideband selection.

With an external speaker and the Phidelity mod the sound is much
better and clear with its quiet circuitry .
There is no sync' mod for the R75 that makes it
work as
well as the sync' on an R8B.

says who? the guy who in 2002 said the R75 had "no synchronous selectable
sideband" then in 2004 said DUH "synchronous selectable sideband actually
being somewhat functional". the guy who in 2003 could not get a Kiwa modded
R75 to review but in 2004 sited "exceptionally fast turnaround"? the guy
who stated "added crispness marginally improves audio" but got the wrong
audio mod? the guy who "forgot" the "1/2" on the Kiwa modded R75's rating?

Just wondering, are you insinuating that this "guy" FORGOT the 1/2
start in the R75 rating [see passport site]only by a "coincidence"?
NAHHHHHH we all are too mature to believe in silly "coincidences" like
that.Like einstein said God don't play dice.This guy was the same that
said in a Grundig advertisement "the sat 800 is the most powerfull
radio in the world" and about the R8B "it get everything right".
I prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many
(if any) mod's, than to pay less up front and then spend
more time and money to get it working acceptably.

spend time doing what? the work has already been done. you send Kiwa a
radio and an $80 check. who knows, maybe 2004 will be the year you fix the
R8B's synthesizer with encoder lubricant.

A lot of radio enthusiastics know how to solder and with some care
they are working in their radios having fun and saving some service
money.If you know how to solder and have a good magnifier your
sync/agc mod cost can be less than $10.00.

Mark S. Holden January 5th 04 04:05 PM

Kenneth wrote:
snip
hi Starman:

I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or
associated AC power supply components.

strawman argument? there are no failures, there are alignments.

Yes expensive friendly [$$$$$] aligments from Mr Drake an his nice
service guys.Any 101 course electronic technician knows that extreme
heat near delicated component can change its critical tolerance and
with that the need for aligments.Why do you think the drake service
dept is so famous?.

Extreme heat? My R8 ran warm enough that the cats liked to snuggle up to it.

Ever compare the case of an R8 series radio with a similar sized set that uses tubes?

I suspect the reason the Drake service department is famous is if you call them up with a question, they treat you like a valued customer. They sent me an owners manual for the R8 I bought used for free.

[...]

Since these mods are well known, simple and inexpensive, why hasn't the factory hasn't gotten around to incorporating them into the design?

It would eliminate almost every complaint people have about the radio.

I think the answer is not enough owners have complained.

Telamon January 6th 04 04:06 AM

In article , "phil :)"
wrote:

Your credibility is Z E R O. You are not in good company. You are off in
some part of space where logic and reading comprehension don't exist.

The thread is "ICOM R75 question" not Ten-Tec or Drake or AOR.

You are wrong and can't win the argument so you will point your finger at
something else. This also results in your not staying on topic.

damn Telamon, i laughed out loud when i read this, what a classic! you're
really fired up.

I go for the entertainment value.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon January 6th 04 05:07 AM

In article , "phil :)"
wrote:

snip

hi Telamon:

I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that
must be modified to work as advertised.

no problem. but aren't you this electronics guru? imagine a machine shop
owner buying his car based on stock horsepower while balking at someone
bolting on a supercharger. what can you hear on your RX340 that you cannot
on your R8B? on an R75? please site specific specs. we all know the answer
and that is why the R75 is now one of the best selling tabletops.

I would not call myself a guru but being in the work force a few decades
in various capacities in electronics technology I have well rounded
experience.

I haven't noticed anything that the RX340 can pick up that the R8B can't
hear. Usually the RX340 can make a station sound better but other times
the R8B does better depending on conditions. The radios are all on
different antennas, which make for a different reception condition so I
am not generally comparing them.

I would not be buying a new car and modifying it either. An older out of
warranty car could be a different story. In my youth I was into street
racing and did just that.

Some people just don't understand that anything manufactured has
engineering compromises built in. Each radio when designed has a slew of
compromises where one performance parameter is diminished in favor of
another. The result is that depending on situation and conditions one
radio will do better than another. Change the situation or conditions
and the other radio does better so which is best?

You generally get what you pay for. Spend more money on a radio and you
can get higher quality components resulting in better specifications,
reliability, capabilities or operational features.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Kenneth January 6th 04 02:32 PM

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message Extreme heat? My R8 ran warm enough that the cats liked to snuggle up to it.
Remember that cats have 9 lives.
Ever compare the case of an R8 series radio with a similar

sized set that uses tubes?
But a tubes receiver components [resistors,cap,transistor]have better
heat tolerance than the R8 mini IC's,cap,resistors ect.Do you know
that a lot of capacitor in a tube set can work with more than 400v
applied? What about a tube set resistors? Do you ever see a huge 10
watts one?
I suspect the reason the Drake service department is famous is if you call them up with a question, they treat you like a valued customer. They sent me an owners manual for the R8 I bought used for free.

Yes but send your R8 and r8B for aligment or encoder repair and pray
God before the bill arrive.For sure they are very friendly [$$$$]
people and sometimes send some owners manuals for free.Remember that
you can find a lot of receivers manuals for free [online].

The R75 sounds much better with an external
speaker but it's
still not as good as an R8, particularly for program listening.

the modded R75 has fidelity, working SAM, and a better filter for SAM
sideband selection.

With an external speaker and the Phidelity mod the sound is much
better and clear with its quiet circuitry .
then

radio and an $80 check. who knows, maybe 2004 will be the year you fix the
R8B's synthesizer with encoder lubricant.

Since these mods are well known, simple and inexpensive, why hasn't the factory hasn't gotten around to incorporating them into the design?

It would eliminate almost every complaint people have about the radio.

Yes and with that the elimination of the $450.00 [free DSP]offer for a
radio with a list price of $1,100.
I think the answer is not enough owners have complained.

We are complaining but at the same time designing new and easy
upgrades for it and now we have a champ that can compete with any
radio in the market.

N8KDV January 6th 04 02:45 PM

Perhaps the best way to solve the ICOM R75 problem is to contact the Federal Trade Commission and ask them why ICOM is dumping their receivers in the USA at a greatly discounted price.

What we need is a trade war with Japan! ;-)

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"I don't have to bother myself with modificatons either"

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Kenneth January 6th 04 02:46 PM

Telamon wrote in message
I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that
must be modified to work as advertised.

no problem. but aren't you this electronics guru? imagine a machine shop
owner buying his car based on stock horsepower while balking at someone
bolting on a supercharger. what can you hear on your RX340 that you cannot
on your R8B? on an R75? please site specific specs. we all know the answer
and that is why the R75 is now one of the best selling tabletops.

I haven't noticed anything that the RX340 can pick up that the R8B can't
hear. Usually the RX340 can make a station sound better but other times
the R8B does better depending on conditions. The radios are all on
different antennas, which make for a different reception condition so I
am not generally comparing them.

Thanks for this one.Using simple logic if your R8B [$1,499] can "pick
up" anything that your ten tec RX 340 [$4,000]hear,then my Icon R-75
[$450=$70.00 in mods=$520.00]can run side by side with your expensive
Ten Tec [because my R-75 was better [in a real life side by side test]
in hard core dxing than my R8b [sold after that].
I would not be buying a new car and modifying it either. An older out of
warranty car could be a different story. In my youth I was into street
racing and did just that.

I bet that my toyota [r-75] can run side by side with your your
mercedez [ten tec 340]
Some people just don't understand that anything manufactured has
engineering compromises built in. Each radio when designed has a slew of
compromises where one performance parameter is diminished in favor of
another. The result is that depending on situation and conditions one
radio will do better than another. Change the situation or conditions
and the other radio does better so which is best?

I agree with you 99.9% That was my point in all this tread.At last you
got it.
You generally get what you pay for. Spend more money on a radio and you
can get higher quality components resulting in better specifications,
reliability, capabilities or operational features.

This is the great myth again price=performance.Better
specifications? Tell me about your ten tech RX-340 dynamic range
/IP3[5khz]or blocking capacity.

N8KDV January 6th 04 02:50 PM

Kenneth wrote:

I agree with you 99.9% That was my point in all this tread.At last you
got it.

Another tip Kenneth: If you need new treads, I recommend Goodyear.

Kenneth January 6th 04 07:04 PM

N8KDV wrote in message ...
Kenneth wrote:

I agree with you 99.9% That was my point in all this tread.At last you
got it.

Another tip Kenneth: If you need new treads, I recommend Goodyear.

Thanks Steve, you are correct I forgot a "h".I'm writing too much
this days and sometimes I forgot a letter or some coma. But I'm a
fortunate man I have you at my service as my personal secretary and
the nice thing is that I don't have to pay you anything...

Kenneth January 6th 04 07:35 PM

N8KDV wrote in message
Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"I don't have to bother myself with modificatons either"

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....About the "running very
hot" problem , you did the right thing with adding an external AC
adaptor,Yes,you are learning very fast.
http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Ken

DeWayne January 6th 04 09:07 PM

"N8KDV" wrote in message
Perhaps the best way to solve the ICOM R75 problem is to contact the

Federal Trade Commission and ask them why ICOM is dumping their receivers in
the USA at a greatly discounted price.

What we need is a trade war with Japan! ;-)

A little late don't you think? What about China?

DeWayne

DeWayne January 6th 04 09:14 PM

"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...
N8KDV wrote in message
Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"I don't have to bother myself with modificatons either"

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....About the "running very
hot" problem , you did the right thing with adding an external AC
adaptor,Yes,you are learning very fast.

I have an R75 and like it very much, but I have also owned an R8B and loved
it! All of the problems you're magnifying are extremely minor, except for
the encoder. It seems to me that you are bashing the R8B because it's
American made.

DeWayne K9KZ

N8KDV January 6th 04 10:32 PM

Kenneth wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....About the "running very
hot" problem , you did the right thing with adding an external AC
adaptor,Yes,you are learning very fast.

And just when did I ever say I used an external AC adapter with either my
R8 or my R8B?

As for the modifications to same, has it ever occurred to you, pea brain,
that if the modifications truely, and let me emphasise the word TRUELY,
needed to be performed, then someone would have come up with a way to do
them?

You 'seem' to know a 'little bit' about electronics, so I guess I have to
ask the question of why you seem to be so inclined to perform so many mods
on the R75, and never seem to have done any on the R8B and/or R8 that you
once claim to have owned?

I don't know about you, but I've certainly done my share of DXing, and
I've used quite a few different receivers in the past. I can tell you from
experience that there's no way I'd trade my Drakes for an R75. Used one
here long enough to realise it's just not the receiver it's made out to
be. And as I've pointed out before, the gentleman who was kind enough to
bring it here for comparison testing felt the same way I do, and promptly
sold it and bought an R8B. And since then I believe he's purchased an R8.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"I don't have to bother myself with modifications either"

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

RHF January 7th 04 02:08 AM

Here are "My Thoughts" on Why the Icom IC-R75 has a Low Price
and High Promotion in the USofA.

The basis of a Federal Trade Commission FTA "Dumping" Charge is
that the origination country is placing the Item (Product and/or
Service) For Sale at 'below' their Actual Cost of Manufacturing,
Transportation and Distribution (a loss).

I 'think' that if the "Facts" were known: Icom is selling the
Icom IC-R75 in the USofA at small profit (not a loss).

Therefore, there would be NO basis for an FTA "Dumping" Charge.
(Maybe other countries should be asking WHY Icom is Pricing the
Icom IC-R75 so High outside the USofA.)

So... The Question becomes at the 'relatively' "High Prices" that
the Icom IC-R75 is being sold at in the "Rest-of-the-World (ROTW).
How Much Profit is Icom making on each Icom IC-R75 in ROTW ?

The PLAN - A "World Wide Marketing Plan" for Icom may be that
Half [ 1/2 ] or more of the Total World Sales are in the USofA
and "What Sells in the USofA" market's itself to the ROTW.

First - Assuring a High Volume of Sales in the USofA with a
Profit Margin that provides for "Recapturing ALL of Icom's
Manufacturing Costs for the Total World Wide Production Run.
NOTE: The Icom IC-R75 is heavily promoted in the USofA by Icom
'offering' the "FREE" DSP with the Purchase of the Icom IC-R75.

Second - All ROTW Sales a 'pure' "Profit" for Icom; excluding
Transportation Costs. The ROTW has to BUY the DSP at "Extra Cost".

TBL: The Icom IC-R75 is a "Winner" for Icom and a High Profit
Product Center in its Global (USofA and ROTW) Marketing Plan.

TRADE WAR: We (the USofA) and Japan have always been in a 'cold'
Trade War over Imports and Exports between the two countries.
{ That is the Nature of International Trade between Nations. }
IIRC: It use to be that many Products were 'charged' an In-Country
Consumer "Luxury Tax" inside Japan and then the MITA would "Rebate"
this Tax to a Manufacture for Each Exported Product.
Again IIRC: This use to be a 15% Tax per Item and a 5% Rebate
per Item; Which would cause a 20% difference in an Items Price
inside of Japan and in the ROTW.
TBL: Japanese Consumers were subsidizing Exports and Exports
could be bought outside of Japan for a Lower Cost then inside Japan.
This was common practice in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s to the
best of my knowledge. I don't know if this is still going on
today or not ? ? ?

wictb... ~ RHF
= = = When It Comes To Business...
It Does Not Take An MBA - To Pick Somebody's Pocket !
..
..
= = = N8KDV
= = = wrote in message ...

Perhaps the best way to solve the ICOM R75 problem is to contact
the Federal Trade Commission (FTA) and ask them why ICOM is

GrtPmpkin32 January 7th 04 02:33 AM

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...
I have been following your (Kenneth's) current run of tirades for a few days
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.
Yes, I tend to champion the R75 when discussing it with fellow (or soon-to-be)
SWL's for its price range, performance, and overall flexibility for most users.
I enjoy electronics and enhancing my gear if needed, and enjoyed thoroughly the
process of upgrading the R75 to a more capable receiver than it already was. I
did everything myself and spent MAYBE another $40 after all was said and done,
so FOR ME and MY wallet, it was a great choice of radio.
But that doesn't mean I excuse Icom for making some poor choices in components
and circuit design, nor do I excuse them for advertising as *working* a few
features which simply *don't work* without fixing by the user or Kiwa. Does
this mean I hate the radio? Hell no.
I take Telamon's (and others who feel as he does) opinions and comments to be
sincere and well-meaning, and accurate. There ARE plenty of SWL's who won't
spend $500 for a radio they need to spend either more money or more time on to
get working as advertised, and I can't blame them. And I don't see them flaming
ME for WANTING to own and enhance the radio, do I? He's just stating his
educated opinion and HIS personal preference for purchasing the radios HE wants
to use, based on what I find to be sound reasoning. Why, therefore, do you
INSIST on arguing with people who don't want to own an R75?
The Drake R8B also has its fair share of detractors, but unlike your posts
here, they tend to state a few LOGICAL reasons why they don't wish to buy an
R8B, any one of which makes SENSE compared to your 'facts' given here. And even
if the R8B's 'flaws' were indeed numerous and frequent, HOW IN HELL does that
have ANY effect on anyone's opinion of how well-made the R75 is?
Apples/oranges, who cares?
How can Telamon be 'wrong' in having a preference in radios? How can YOU be
'right' for owning an R75? It seems to me like you're rather sophomorically
creating and extending an argument for no other reason than to 'defend'
something which needs no defense (a radio product) or simply watch yourself
type.
Like a few teen-minded defenders of some dubious radio products in this
newsgroup's past (can anyone say TT?) you're being ridiculous, and show it more
with every heated, self-defensive post about differing OPINIONS and
preferences.
I would give you the same advice I have received and have given others:
Quit looking for black-and-white in radios. It will NEVER exist.
Linus

Telamon January 7th 04 07:47 AM

In article ,
(Kenneth) wrote:

Telamon wrote in message
[...]

Why don't you tell us? Your answer should be far more entertaining than
anything I could come up with seeing how "I got it" only yesterday.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California