RadioBanter

-   -   Icom R-75 question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39802-icom-r-75-question.html)

HFguy January 7th 04 07:59 AM

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...
I have been following your (Kenneth's) current run of tirades for a few days
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.

snipped

That was the most sensible reply on this subject that I've ever seen.
Congratulations Linus.

Kenneth January 7th 04 12:57 PM

"DeWayne" wrote in message ...
"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...

I have an R75 and like it very much, but I have also owned an R8B and loved
it! All of the problems you're magnifying are extremely minor, except for
the encoder. It seems to me that you are bashing the R8B because it's
American made.

Yes R8B flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....receiver "running very
hot" even turned off ect ect....
Drake R8B "extremely minor problems" and you sold it and now have a R-75?

N8KDV January 7th 04 01:07 PM

Kenneth wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message ...
"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...

I have an R75 and like it very much, but I have also owned an R8B and loved
it! All of the problems you're magnifying are extremely minor, except for
the encoder. It seems to me that you are bashing the R8B because it's
American made.

Yes R8B flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....receiver "running very
hot" even turned off ect ect....
Drake R8B "extremely minor problems" and you sold it and now have a R-75?

LOL, ANY problem the R8 series has is INDEED minor when compared to the GLARING flaws in the R75
design...

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"

Kenneth January 7th 04 01:46 PM

N8KDV wrote in message ...
Kenneth wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....About the "running very
hot" problem , you did the right thing with adding an external AC
adaptor,Yes,you are learning very fast.

And just when did I ever say I used an external AC adapter with either my
R8 or my R8B?

Check RRS archives.....
As for the modifications to same, has it ever occurred to you, pea brain,
that if the modifications truely, and let me emphasise the word TRUELY,
needed to be performed, then someone would have come up with a way to do
them?

Hey "respetable gentleman","truely" is not the correct word the
correct word is truly.
You 'seem' to know a 'little bit' about
electronics, Yes you are correct here I
don't know "a little bit" about electronics.Everybody know that you
are the "genius" here.
ask the question of why you seem to be so

inclined to perform so many mods
on the R75, and never seem to have done any on the R8B and/or R8 that you
once claim to have owned?

The R8B need a new design not some mods.My suggetions are that they
need to work with grounding and shielding new tehniques [for the
birdies,background hiss and synthesizer phase noise] a pro optical
encoder and better filters with better shape skirt factor [like the
ones in the drake R7], 1hz increments tunning steps,better keypad and
tunning knob and a nide DSP ect ect... not an easy task .
I've used quite a few different receivers in the past. I can tell you from
experience that there's no way I'd trade my Drakes for an R75. Your personal oppinion and I respect it.
used one here long enough And as I've pointed out before, the

gentleman who was kind enough to
bring it here for comparison testing felt the same way I do, and promptly
sold it and bought an R8B. And since then I believe he's purchased an R8.

Yes "the kind misteriously and gentleman R75 man" again.Nice story
for a radio novel.

Rick KB1KIL January 7th 04 01:58 PM

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Kenneth wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message

"Kenneth" wrote in message
[...]

I own 2 Drakes and an Icom R75. I have no complaints about either radio.
I think it's human nature to nit pick, and do the "my radio is better than
yours" argument.
It's been a staple in the ng's and even in the old bbs days when I used to
frequent the FIDO Groups.

--
73's
Rick

Drake R8 & R8B
ICOM R75
Yaesu 7700
Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17

"If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?"

N8KDV January 7th 04 02:17 PM

Kenneth wrote:

And just when did I ever say I used an external AC adapter with either my
R8 or my R8B?

Check RRS archives.....

I suggest you go find it...

As for the modifications to same, has it ever occurred to you, pea brain,
that if the modifications truely, and let me emphasise the word TRUELY,
needed to be performed, then someone would have come up with a way to do
them?

Hey "respetable gentleman","truely" is not the correct word the
correct word is truly.

You've failed to answer my question.

You 'seem' to know a 'little bit' about
electronics, Yes you are correct here I
don't know "a little bit" about electronics.Everybody know that you
are the "genius" here.
ask the question of why you seem to be so

inclined to perform so many mods
on the R75, and never seem to have done any on the R8B and/or R8 that you
once claim to have owned?

The R8B need a new design not some mods.My suggetions are that they
need to work with grounding and shielding new tehniques [for the
birdies,background hiss and synthesizer phase noise] a pro optical
encoder and better filters with better shape skirt factor [like the
ones in the drake R7], 1hz increments tunning steps,better keypad and
tunning knob and a nide DSP ect ect... not an easy task .

Not an easy task huh? Should be 'easy' for someone with your technical 'prowess'. And still, you've not really answered my question.

Yes "the kind misteriously and gentleman R75 man" again.Nice story
for a radio novel.

Well Kenneth, you're already on your way in writing the fictional "R75-Great Radio" novel...

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"
"Drake, the DXer's choice"
"Drake, when you care to listen with the very best"

N8KDV January 7th 04 02:49 PM

Kenneth wrote:

Everybody know that you
are the "genius" here.

Certainly not a genius, but perhaps just a little more well versed than you in actually 'using' a radio receiver.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

DeWayne January 7th 04 03:04 PM

"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...
"DeWayne" wrote in message

"Kenneth" wrote in message
om...

I have an R75 and like it very much, but I have also owned an R8B and

loved
it! All of the problems you're magnifying are extremely minor, except

for
the encoder. It seems to me that you are bashing the R8B because it's
American made.

Yes R8B flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect [yes,I agree, for the funny tunning
knob there is a remplacement available]. .....receiver "running very
hot" even turned off ect ect....
Drake R8B "extremely minor problems" and you sold it and now have a R-75?

I sold my R8B because I needed the money. Not because I didn't love it
because I did! The R75 is the best choice for the money for me at this time.
I am retired with three members of my family in college. I would LOVE to
have another R8B. Just a note about Icom's encoders. I have been hearing on
the ham bands that they are having a nightmare with the encoders in their
high priced transceivers.

DeWayne

Kenneth January 7th 04 03:24 PM

(GrtPmpkin32) wrote in message ...

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...

synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy mechanical
encoder with high failure rate,NO DSP,no 1hz tunning steps
increments,K'mart keypad,poor grounding and shielding techniques,not
pro filters[with excellent shape factor skirts selectivity,notch
filter does not tune under 500hz,run very hot even turned off ect ect
If you want to call this "minor" and "infrequent" problems this is your privilege.
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.

point:All receiver have flaws ALL RECEIVERS ,and
another point is: a moded receiver can surpass in hard core dxing a
most expensive receiver.
Yes, I tend to champion the R75 when
discussing it with fellow (or soon-to-be)
SWL's for its price range, performance, and overall flexibility for most users.

The Drake R8B also has its fair share of detractors, but

unlike your posts
here, they tend to state a few LOGICAL reasons why they don't wish to buy an
R8B, any one of which makes SENSE compared to your 'facts' given

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.
Like a few teen-minded

defenders of some dubious radio products

They have the the freedom to
defend their radios, what the problem with that.? you're being
ridiculous, and show it more
with every heated, self-defensive post about differing OPINIONS and
preferences.

I quoted passport,white papers,past post from this
group archives,experts articles,I did the side by side test and for me
your reaction is only a failed intent to sweep the facts under the
rug.
advice I have received and have given others:
Quit looking for black-and-white in radios. It will NEVER exist.

At last you got it;all radios have pro's and flaws."Get everything
right" commercial advertisement is only a nice myth.

Kenneth January 7th 04 03:39 PM

HFguy wrote in message ...
GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...
I have been following your (Kenneth's) current run of tirades for a few days
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.

snipped

That was the most sensible reply on this subject that I've ever seen.
Congratulations Linus.

Yes sensible like this one :
Yes, I agree... My R8B is a miserable failure as well. Certain parts of
the HF band are totally useless for weak signal work because of the
birdies spaced every 1.5 kc or so. For just a couple of extra bucks
invested in shielding and separate boards they could have had a nice
clean receiver---but Drake was more interested in the profit margin.

I also had the same argument with Drake concerning the birdies. One
fellow did ask if they were in the amateur band and after I said no he
said that's OK!

Besides the other problems I've been having with the R8B a new one just
surfaced; the audio gain control is getting scratchy causing all manner
of grief when I adjust it---guess I need to replace it (only 2 year old)
along with a bunch of other stuff.
A classic.

Eric F. Richards January 7th 04 03:51 PM

HFguy wrote:

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

Sorry for you. At this time no modifications are available for the R8B
flaws [synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy
encoder,K'mart keypad ect ect

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...
I have been following your (Kenneth's) current run of tirades for a few days
now, and don't really know what your point has been all along.

snipped

That was the most sensible reply on this subject that I've ever seen.
Congratulations Linus.

HFguy beat me to it, Linus. That's the first rational reply on the
subject. The R-75 I had was a fine receiver -- to a point -- but now
that I've sold it, I won't miss it at all.

As for the religious wars... what can I say? After a year and a half
away, an R-75 war breaks out and phil pops back in.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940

N8KDV January 7th 04 05:46 PM

Can't answer my questions can you Kenneth?

N8KDV January 7th 04 06:04 PM

Kenneth wrote:

Yes sensible like this one :
Yes, I agree... My R8B is a miserable failure as well. Certain parts of
the HF band are totally useless for weak signal work because of the
birdies spaced every 1.5 kc or so. For just a couple of extra bucks
invested in shielding and separate boards they could have had a nice
clean receiver---but Drake was more interested in the profit margin.

Again Kenneth, if it's so simple, why haven't you fixed it?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

N8KDV January 7th 04 06:09 PM

Kenneth wrote:

(GrtPmpkin32) wrote in message ...

I am, like DeWayne, the happy owner of an R75, AND I owned a Drake R8B for
three years. The R8B is an awesome receiver, and the problems you're blowing
all out of proportion are as DeWayne says, minor and infrequent (I never ONCE
had a problem with the encoder or tuning knob)...

synthesizer phase noise,background hiss,birdies,cheapy mechanical
encoder with high failure rate,NO DSP

You actually think the DSP in the R75 is worth anything?

,no 1hz tunning steps
increments,K'mart keypad,poor grounding and shielding techniques,not
pro filters[with excellent shape factor skirts selectivity,notch
filter does not tune under 500hz,run very hot

One again, another question you refuse to answer. Just what do you consider to be 'very hot'?

Can you answer even one question Kenneth?

GrtPmpkin32 January 7th 04 06:13 PM

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

That's obvious.

They have the the freedom to
defend their radios, what the problem with that.?

I never said there was a 'problem' with freedom to express opinions (and I find
it amazing, as usual, that I get the tired 'censorship' accusation from yet
another teen-minded champion of personal pride of ownership), but if you would
care to go back into the archives and read through a fraction of the myriad
threads over who's got the better product and who's an idiot for NOT buying
said product, you'd know that your position and churlish attitude is neither
new, nor constructive.

I did the side by side test and for me
your reaction is only a failed intent to sweep the facts under the
rug.

Here lies the core of the whole 'my rig's better than your rig' ****ing
contest.
You admitted already that you leave logic to others, and are not using logic in
your current strand of posts, so I'll make this easier for you.
There's a HUGE difference between your singular, personal experiences with a
given product and someone else's reviews of the same thing versus any actual
FACTS. What you are attempting to do (illogically, as you admit) is portray
your opinion, and a handful of other's opinions, as FACTS to prove your
position in some blown-up (and utterly needless) debate over your radio. The
books and periodicals you mention as scientific proof are still derived from
personal experiences, and while I often refer to the same books and articles
for input and advice, I do not consider anything told to me (beyond basics like
dimensions, weight, frequency range, etc.) as FACTS. MY personal experiences
(are you spotting the lesson here yet?) with many products have differed quite
dramatically than the opinions and 'facts' expressed in those articles quite
often.
You have a personal agenda to defend your radio, which seems silly to me.
There's a difference between having real facts, and simply displaying a
churlish, personal-pride-of-ownership temper tantrum. ANYONE can point to
articles both pro- and con- regarding ANY product you care to mention... and
NONE of those articles, pro- or con-, can change YOUR personal experience and
preferences.

At last you got it;all radios have pro's and flaws."Get everything
right" commercial advertisement is only a nice myth.

If you really believed what you're saying all through this, you would have
simply not replied to Telamon's personal opinion, since it was EXACTLY that:
His statement of flaws of the radio in question, which IN *HIS* OPINION, helped
him decide NOT to purchase the radio.
ANYTHING beyond that is pointless.
I like my R75, and I liked my R8B, and have had not a single problem with
either of them. You seem to have gotten a dud.
Linus

N8KDV January 7th 04 06:24 PM

Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Mark S. Holden January 7th 04 08:10 PM

N8KDV wrote:

Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"

I'm not sure what he intended to say, but the message I got is he's too wound up on this subject to express his thoughts clearly.

Perhaps it's time to let this thread die or revert back to the original question.

Kenneth January 8th 04 12:09 AM

N8KDV wrote in message ...
Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Hi Steve:Here I,m quoting someone post . The: "no give sense compared
with other logical reasons" phrase are not my words.

N8KDV January 8th 04 12:14 AM

Kenneth wrote:

N8KDV wrote in message ...
Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Hi Steve:Here I,m quoting someone post . The: "no give sense compared
with other logical reasons" phrase are not my words.

Well, I'm sure glad we got that cleared up! ;)

phil :) January 8th 04 12:19 AM

howdy Pete!

Hey Phil..............maybe we should really mod
up the R75 and call it an R76!

i'm more excited about your radio... very clean design!

regards,
phil :)

phil :) January 8th 04 12:19 AM

hi Telamon:

how would you characterize these RX340 specs?

IP3: 5-kHz -53 dBm, 20-kHz +4 dBm
phase noise: -113 dBc/Hz
ultimate rejection: 70 dB

regards,
phil :)

phil :) January 8th 04 12:20 AM

howdy Rick!

I think it's human nature to nit pick, and do the
"my radio is better than yours" argument.

LOL. i agree... even a radio war would be a S/N improvement for RRS.

regards,
phil :)

phil :) January 8th 04 12:20 AM

hi Linus:

yes, forget the ****ing contest and buy whatever you want. IMO the RX350,
NRD545, R8B, R75, Palstar, and FRoG are more similar than they are
different. AFA ICOM, they're not a ham leader for nothing.

regards,
phil

Kenneth January 8th 04 12:23 AM

Hi Linus:I like this post.I don't agree 100% with it but you have some
good points.You seem to be a sensible guy [up to now].I'm ready to
quit this thread and spend my time in listening to my radio,and keep
working with my K9AY antenna box control. Ken

Kenneth January 8th 04 12:46 AM

You actually think the DSP in the R75 is worth anything?
Yes Steve,the DSP include an automatic notch filter an really helps in
improve intelligibility of some tough signals and reduce heterodyne
[whistle]interference.
Ken

N8KDV January 8th 04 12:56 AM

Kenneth wrote:

You actually think the DSP in the R75 is worth anything?

Yes Steve,the DSP include an automatic notch filter an really helps in
improve intelligibility of some tough signals and reduce heterodyne
[whistle]interference.
Ken

Golly, an automatic notch filter! Who would've thought! ;)

That must free up one of your hands for... well... doing other things!

phil :) January 8th 04 01:25 AM

hi Telamon:

i respect your thoughts. "best" depends on the user. want to guess what
percentage of stations my R75 picked up on MW that could be IDed on a $10
radio [both using loops]? guess the causes for the discrepency. the results
were a testament to Armstrong. any of the tabletops can be used for DXing.
the antenna is critical.

hi Mark:

IMO ICOM made a batch of R75s, will never admit to the flaws, is reducing
their stock for a new radio, and is making a profit... check out what $800
will buy in terms of transceivers.

hi Steve:

there are Drake mods but few know about them. the stock radio is fine. all
radios have flaws.

hi DeWayne:

Ken does not bash American products. he is an American.

regards,
phil :)

phil :) January 8th 04 01:31 AM

Hello... phil?

whats the matter Eric? you're usually a bowl of sunshine. overload any
radios lately?

73s,
phil :)

N8KDV January 8th 04 02:02 AM

"phil :)" wrote:

hi Steve:

there are Drake mods but few know about them. the stock radio is fine. all
radios have flaws.

Some more than others. ;)

GrtPmpkin32 January 8th 04 04:06 AM

Hi Linus:I like this post.I don't agree 100% with it but you have some
good points.You seem to be a sensible guy [up to now].I'm ready to
quit this thread and spend my time in listening to my radio,and keep
working with my K9AY antenna box control

Good deal Ken!
Did you find it tough to get ahold of the relays for the K9AY box? Out where I
live (SW Missouri) I have to do most of my parts shopping online or through
catalogues, so I haven't found time to really look deeply into what it takes
(component-wise) to build the K9AY loop and control box. VERY intriguing design
though. How's it working for you? AND, how well does it work with your R75? :-)
Linus

GrtPmpkin32 January 8th 04 04:09 AM

AFA ICOM, they're not a ham leader for nothing.

Pros and cons there too, but I agree with you (and our Yahoo group posts and
personal e-mails back in the Spring bear that out nicely)... but I'm STILL
looking for replacement surface mount LED's for that damned display! Coming
close though... I just really prefer something cool and colorful to that orange
display! :-)
Linus

HFguy January 8th 04 05:31 AM

Since you were a major instigator in the first R75 vs R8B radio war, I'm
glad to see you learned something from that experience. Please take
Kenneth back to the Yahoo R75 group where he belongs. You may have to
pull him by the ear. Tell him he needs a time-out or there will be no
R75 privileges until he behaves better.

Telamon January 8th 04 05:43 AM

In article , "phil :)"
wrote:

hi Telamon:

how would you characterize these RX340 specs?

IP3: 5-kHz -53 dBm, 20-kHz +4 dBm

The 5 KHz number is not very good. The 20 KHz number is not bad. In
practice you might think I would have a problem listening to a weak
station with a strong station on the next channel over but I haven't
noticed it.

phase noise: -113 dBc/Hz

It would be nice if it was -120 down but it appears to be low enough
because the receiver noise floor can be 1uV.

ultimate rejection: 70 dB

It is supposed to be at least 70 dB but depending on how you use the
radio it is actually much greater so the ultimate selectivity is better
than this number makes it look.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF January 8th 04 06:35 AM

MSH,

"Perhaps it's time to let this thread die or revert back to
.. . . the original question."

* * And The Original Question In 2003 Was * *

From: Neil Bell )
Subject: Icom R-75 question
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 2003-12-28 14:32:10 PST

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception,

My question is how does it do on BCB MW reception ?

Is an external speaker really needed?

Neil Bell

Neil Bell & et al,

IMHO: the Icom IC-R75 does a very good job as an AM/MW/BCB DXing Receiver.

NOT A FACT JACK - Just My Opinion - Take It Or Leave It [.]

pale ~ RHF
= = = Peace and Love Everyone.
..
..
= = = "Mark S. Holden"
- - - S N I P - - -

Eric F. Richards January 8th 04 09:08 AM

"phil :)" wrote:

Hello... phil?

whats the matter Eric? you're usually a bowl of sunshine. overload any
radios lately?

Heck, no, phil, all the radios I have now can handle strong signals in
their front-ends.

I see Bob Sherwood relatively frequently at hamfests and keep bugging
him to put the R-75 specs into his high-end receiver comparison table.
Eventually... (he just laughed when I tried to sell him my R-75!)

73s,
phil :)

Eric F. Richards January 8th 04 10:18 AM

"phil :)" wrote:

hi Telamon:

how would you characterize these RX340 specs?

IP3: 5-kHz -53 dBm, 20-kHz +4 dBm
phase noise: -113 dBc/Hz
ultimate rejection: 70 dB

How's this radio look to you, phil?

dynamic range at 5 kHz: 59 dB, 20 kHz: 81 dB
phase noise: -131 dBc/Hz
ultimate rejection: 75 dB

Rick KB1KIL January 8th 04 12:29 PM

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Kenneth wrote:

My R8B flaws facts "no give sense" compared with other
logical reasons? I keep with my scientific side by side test facts an
leave the "logic reasoning" to the studious.

Would someone please step forward and translate the above?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"

I don't think believe anyone here and trusts no one.

Kenneth January 8th 04 01:16 PM

(GrtPmpkin32) wrote in message ...

Good deal Ken!
Did you find it tough to get ahold of the relays for the K9AY box? Out where I
live (SW Missouri) I have to do most of my parts shopping online or through
catalogues, so I haven't found time to really look deeply into what it takes
(component-wise) to build the K9AY loop and control box. VERY intriguing design
though. How's it working for you? AND, how well does it work with your R75? :-)
Linus

I successfully homebrewed a K9AY [one year ago]and it is a MW weak
signals magnet.Better by far than a kiwa loop that I had [the big
one].I'm having problems with finding a ORP-12 LDR [philips one] for
my Vactrol assemble..but I'm using it changing the terminating
resistor manually.In some rat shack stores with some expired inventory
you can find some of the part needed for example relays ,metal boxes
ect.There is a K9AY yahoo with a lot of good information about how to
homebrew your own K9AY.You can start with the simplest one [only take
about 1 hour to erect one using some easy to get part.

Kenneth January 8th 04 04:06 PM

Eric F. Richards wrote in message . ..
"phil :)" wrote:

Hello... phil?

.

I see Bob Sherwood relatively frequently at hamfests and keep bugging
him to put the R-75 specs into his high-end receiver comparison table.
Eventually... (he just laughed when I tried to sell him my R-75!)

Do you know that the Ten Tec RX340 and R-75 passport laboratory
measurements were conducted in your friend Bob Sherwood laboratory?
Here Bob RX-340 [$3,999]test findings:The sync selectable sideband
lose look relatively
easily,Passport recomend an external Sherwood SE-3 [500.00],poor
dynamic range,static crashes sound harsher than on analog
receivers.Spurious signal noted around 6MHZ segment,notch filter does
not work in AM,Sync selectable sideband or ISB modes,Noise blanker not
effective ect, ect, ect,
Maybe he recalled this RX-340 test when he laughed at you in
the hamfest.About his R-75 test:Oustanding rejection of spurious
signals,reception of faint signals alongside powerful competing ones ,
ultimate selectivity and good dynamic range.If you or anyone here keep
trying to put down the R-75 with subjetive statements I will react
with your own resources.