Old December 31st 03, 01:51 AM
dave

Default Are they all the same?

While checking out the shortwave stations in the States I came across
stations that seem to be doing only one thing and that is to ram
religion down their listeners necks 24/7.
Don't any North American stations apart from VOA have anything else
to say apart from trying to persuade everyone to join the Billy Graham
fan club?
I was hoping to find some stations with a bit more regular topics in
their schedule. Do any of these channels exist over their?
Old December 31st 03, 02:06 AM
Chandler7600

WEll, there's WBCQ, which DOES have music shows on the weekends.
- & Nutcase Bible thumpers, Neo Nazi & general Half Wits during the week.
Aside from WWV, which gives out the time- Usually the U.S SW stations are full
of filthy rich
Bible thumpers, stealing their Gullible listeners blind & it would seem,
performing Sexual Hijinks with them the rest of the time

- Just my opinion,

Subject: Are they all the same?

Old December 31st 03, 02:34 AM
Larry Ozarow

dave wrote:
While checking out the shortwave stations in the States I came across
stations that seem to be doing only one thing and that is to ram
religion down their listeners necks 24/7.
Don't any North American stations apart from VOA have anything else
to say apart from trying to persuade everyone to join the Billy Graham
fan club?
I was hoping to find some stations with a bit more regular topics in
their schedule. Do any of these channels exist over their?

Radio Canada International

Old December 31st 03, 04:05 AM
Frank Dresser

"dave" wrote in message
While checking out the shortwave stations in the States I came across
stations that seem to be doing only one thing and that is to ram
religion down their listeners necks 24/7.

There's no ramming going on. Unless we are talking about Brother
Stair's message about the ram and the GOAT, but I won't get into that.
You're free to tune in something else. A great many Christian
Evangalists use shortwave radio to get the message out. Some of the
messages are quite strange yet entertaining.

Don't any North American stations apart from VOA have anything else
to say apart from trying to persuade everyone to join the Billy Graham
fan club?

It's not so much the stations as the shows. Most of the stations are
brokered and sell show time to all sorts of folk. Besides the religious
shows, there's paranoid populists, neo nazis, the incoherent, music
shows, a bit of old time radio as well as pirate radio stations. By the
way, many of the SW religious broadcasters like to take shots at Billy
Graham.

Most of the very strong international broadcasting signals in the US are
actually relayed from Sackville.

Shortwave radio doesn't have much US meganetwork programming, if that's
what you're looking for.

I was hoping to find some stations with a bit more regular topics in
their schedule. Do any of these channels exist over their?

The Canadian Broadcasting Company is a good source for traditional

Old December 31st 03, 04:05 AM
WShoots1

Don't forget the patriots on WWCR and WWRB. G

Bill, K5BY

Old December 31st 03, 04:30 AM
Tony Meloche

dave wrote:

While checking out the shortwave stations in the States I came across
stations that seem to be doing only one thing and that is to ram
religion down their listeners necks 24/7.
Don't any North American stations apart from VOA have anything else
to say apart from trying to persuade everyone to join the Billy Graham
fan club?
I was hoping to find some stations with a bit more regular topics in
their schedule. Do any of these channels exist over their?

Short answer? Very few. Aside from obvious use by the military, and
air traffic control/aviation weather, the primary purpose of shortwave
in the USA has almost always been broadcasting our views, our "voice",
to the rest of the world. America had a well established AM network
from coast to coast early on.
The VOA and Radio Marti (also originating in the USA) are about it.
There have always been "pirate" stations espousing every view from left
of Jesse Jackson to right of Pat Buchanan, both political and religious
- that's part of shortwave, too. But the FCC a few years ago started
licensing religious broadcasters, and the bottom line there is that
reaching half or most of the USA from within it's borders via shortwave
radio is MUCH cheaper than trying to do it by licensed AM or FM outlet
with a much more limited range. Hence, the proliferaton of religious
broadcasters as American SW stations. Few of them (though maybe a few)
could be considered "mainstream" representation of America at large.
The way that SW is still used in many places in the world - as the basic
"let's-see-what's-on-the-radio" type of thing is almost unknown here -
that's what AM and FM are for, always have been (in the USA, I mean).
Some of the religious broadcasters carry features like "Old Time Radio"
and such, but less and less of that all the time, too. You asked a very
good question. I hope I've been able to give you some insight with my
answer.

Tony

Old January 2nd 04, 12:03 AM
Dave

Thanks Tony for yor input on my posting, and thanks to everybody else too
who replied.

I think I will have a listen to Radio Canada International instead . I have
nothing against religion I just choose not to listen to it.

Thanks again.

Dave. (from the UK)

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

dave wrote:

[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

---

Old January 3rd 04, 04:24 PM
S Walters

More and more religious braodcasters are using shotwave than ever before.
In addition to the reasons stated elsewhere in this thread, I believe also
that it allows greater reach in spreading the gospel, particularly without
censorship. There is increasing cultural hostility in the US and the whole
Western world for that matter against anything Christian and efforts are
underway to sweep religion out of the culture. As communications comes
under increasing governemt control, broadcast radio (AM/FM), television and
the internet will be less accommodating to traditional values. Shortwave is
off the radar when it comes to government scrutiny since the majority of the
US population has little idea what it is or how to access it. As globalism
takes over, shortwave will likely be that last place where people can talk
about Christ without fear of reprisal.

Steve W.

Old January 6th 04, 12:41 AM
tommyknocker

S Walters wrote:

More and more religious braodcasters are using shotwave than ever before.
In addition to the reasons stated elsewhere in this thread, I believe also
that it allows greater reach in spreading the gospel, particularly without
censorship. There is increasing cultural hostility in the US and the whole
Western world for that matter against anything Christian and efforts are
underway to sweep religion out of the culture. As communications comes
under increasing governemt control, broadcast radio (AM/FM), television and
the internet will be less accommodating to traditional values. Shortwave is
off the radar when it comes to government scrutiny since the majority of the
US population has little idea what it is or how to access it. As globalism
takes over, shortwave will likely be that last place where people can talk
about Christ without fear of reprisal.

As this post makes clear, the form of Christianity that predominates on
SW is, shall we say, *nontraditional*. You have Eternal Word (WEWN)
which is run by nuns and sticks to mainstream Catholicism, but most of
the rest is offbeat. "Preachers" on SW tend to love using the Bible to
"predict" current events-their common refrain is that the Rapture and
Tribulation will be coming any day now, so send all your money to ME
because you can't take it with you, and I'll ensure you get a favored
seat in Heaven. Then there are the conspiracy theorists, most of whom
are far right wing Christians too, who love to talk about how regular
guys are persecuted relentlessly by bankers/CIA/Jews/whatever. Sometimes
I think World Wide Christian Radio (WWCR) should call itself World Wide
Conspiracy Radio, as most of their programming is conspiracy minded. I'm
all for to each his own, but there's a small but real risk that a few of
the listeners might decide to take matters into their own hands. Even
then most of THOSE will be harmless, like the "Phantom Patriot" guy who,
inspired by Alex Jones, broke into the Bohemian Grove a couple years ago
to "expose" the dastardly deeds within, but it doesn't take much
intelligence to build a truck bomb. Then there's the fact that "Hour of
the Time" host Bill Cooper deliberately provoked the cops to kill him in
hopes that it would spark the next American revolution.

An excellent read on apocalyptic Christianity is "The End of Days" by
Gershom Gorenberg. In fact, Gorenberg covers end of the world Jews and
Muslims too, and weaves it all together into a portrait of people who
desperately want the world to end so God can establish a perfect divine
kingdom on earth-and who want God to act NOW and who want to provoke him
into acting.

Send me money, send me green
Heaven you will meet
Make a contribution and you'll get a better seat
Bow to Leper Messiah
-Metallica

Steve W.