Old January 9th 04, 05:00 AM
Dochuge

Default Suggestions for a Yaesu FRG-100?

Hey everyone,

I first got into shortwave a few years back by buying a Grundig 400 and
really enjoyed it. By attaching a little roll-up external antenna to it and
throwing the antenna up on my roof I got good reception for a handheld SW.
Listening to hams using SSB was neat!
So I wanted to take things to the next level, not to the Drake level,
but something more powerful. So I decided to get a Yaesu FRG100. I heard
good things about it and bid on one on EBay and won. I was really excited.
When it came I bought an external antenna (Radio Shack basic one, maybe part
of the problem here) and had a corageous friend run the thing from my roof
up to a pretty tall Spruce tree. Now I like the Yaesu but I don't notice
much difference between it and my little Grundig. Maybe its slightly better
but overall I've been pretty disappointed in it. Maybe this is just the
nature of shortwave but I thought a portable should noticably outperform a
handheld. Now here's my questions:

1) I haven't grounded the thing, should I? Will it make a much more
noticable improvement? (I'm still learning this shortwave stuff)

2) I know you can buy notch filters for it but are they worth it? They are
expensive and may not make much of a difference.

3) To be honest, I don't know how to properly use the thing. It didn't come
with instructions. I have the basics down but playing with the attenuators
and such didn't seem to make a whole heck of a lot of difference in clarity.
Does anyone know where I can get instructions for this thing? (Its still
pretty decent in USB and LSB)

4) Any tips for better performance? I live in the so-so Pacific NW, however.

Maybe my expectations are way too high. Maybe I don't know how to properly
use the thing. Maybe I don't have the antenna set up correctly. I know, lots
of maybes. I want to try some other things but if things don't improve I may
end up selling the thing and just going with my little Grundig for now and
save up money for a really big boy.
Thanks for your help.

Brian

Old January 9th 04, 05:21 AM
news.vif.com

1) I haven't grounded the thing, should I? Will it make a much more
noticable improvement? (I'm still learning this shortwave stuff)

Grounding good idea, helps deduce static and noise.
10 foot copper pip into ground

$20 for copy of the operation manual (FRG-100)
http://www.surplussales.com/Manuals/man_yaesu.html

Links:
Spy Numbers Station: http://www.spynumbers.com
Glenn hauser's world radio: http://www.worldofradio.com/calendar.html

Happy dxing.

FRG-100/Drake SW8 75'ft/515'ft longwire
--
John Medica
System & Network administrator

(416)653-0114 (Voicemail)
(416)653-0114 (Fax)

NAMA, Listening-Post, Ontario Unlisted Frequency Guide
Webmaster: http://www.oufg.webhop.net
Webmaster: http://www.listening-post.net

Old January 9th 04, 05:26 AM
Dochuge

"news.vif.com" wrote in message

1) I haven't grounded the thing, should I? Will it make a much more
noticable improvement? (I'm still learning this shortwave stuff)

Grounding good idea, helps deduce static and noise.
10 foot copper pip into ground

Thanks for the input! What kind of wiring do I want to run from the
grounding rod to the Yaesu? I've done some research since my post and I
read a review from some guy who went on and on about how imperative it is to
read the manual in order to really learn how to run the radio. So it looks
like I'm gonna invest in a manual for sure. I'll say this, its NOT a very
intuitive radio!

Old January 9th 04, 06:12 AM
Pete KE9OA

My mistake...........it was only a brochure. Still, it shouldn't cost 20
dollars. Give Yaesu a call.

Pete

Old January 9th 04, 11:06 AM
news.vif.com

Dochuge wrote:

Copper bride, you can pick it up local electronic store.
Make sure you tell them your using it for ground strap & its not the
fine stuff.

10'ft copper pipe make sure you file it down at the top - this ways
makes good connection.

Happy dxing.

Drake Sw-8/FRG-100 75'ft/515'ft longwire.
--
John Medica
System & Network administrator
Listening-Post
Toronto Ontario, Canada

(416)653-0114 (Voicemail)
(416)653-0114 (Fax)

NAMA, Listening-Post, Ontario Unlisted Frequency Guide
Webmaster: http://www.oufg.webhop.net
Webmaster: http://www.listening-post.net

Fox Tango International, Yaesu Users Groups w4clm Antenna 1 December 24th 04 11:48 AM
FA: Yaesu FT-ONE, Perfect Condition, NR Mark Petereit Equipment 0 March 5th 04 04:52 AM
F/S Yaesu VX-5R HT Bob Equipment 0 February 2nd 04 10:08 PM
F/S Yaesu VX-5R HT Bob Equipment 0 February 2nd 04 10:08 PM
YAESU NI4L CB 1 November 29th 03 04:16 PM