Old January 21st 04, 12:14 AM
Dxluver

I use the RCA 40-5000, that rectangular "black box" with the black
steel-mesh grille that Radio Shack has sold forever under one name or
another. Works fine. Think I paid $19.00 for it.

Oh really?

Sounds like that one link I saw that selld these shortwave/scanner/cb
speakers.......they're pretty nice. I guess you don't need BIG for good sound.
:-)
Old January 21st 04, 12:15 AM
Dxluver

I use the RCA 40-5000, that rectangular "black box" with the black
steel-mesh grille that Radio Shack has sold forever under one name or
another

Tony,
Is that the cat#?
Old January 21st 04, 02:59 AM
Gray Shockley

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:07:32 -0600, Dxluver wrote
(in message ):

most folks who hear it don't realize they're listening to
shortwave - "Naah, it sounds to good to come from far away" 8-}

Yeah, I've had my folks and a friend mention that they couldn't believe that
was the V.O.T........coming in crystal clear through those amplifieds.

Not trying to be flippant, but your ears know what
sounds good to them and you'll know by where you have to set your
volume if you're have enough power to drive it.

Sure- sure- I know what you mean. While the 129X is down, I'll do that with
the 140X. The the things with the Hammars is that I KNOW there is more than
enough to drive one of these Aiwa speakers, no problem.

Hopefully it sounds sweet.

Thanks Howard:-)

I grabbed a close-out (thirty dollars) on the 40-4094 "Wall-Mount Speaker".

The part# is wrong but this appears to be the catalog entry on this speaker
"set".

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...oduct%5Fid=40-
4099

It sounds /very/ good and I'm driving it with a DX-398 (!!) and a CCradio+.

I'm even thinking of trying to find another so I can listen to NPR in stereo
[dux].

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio+ w/RS Loop
Justice AM Antenna
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old January 21st 04, 03:25 AM
Stinger

I've been using those same speakers for "surround" on the home theater for
six years. They are solid performers, with frequency response and power
ratings greater than needed for rear channels. In other words....perfect!

-- Stinger

.com...

Old January 21st 04, 06:50 PM
Gray Shockley

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:25:09 -0600, Stinger wrote
(in message ):

I've been using those same speakers for "surround" on the home theater for
six years. They are solid performers, with frequency response and power
ratings greater than needed for rear channels. In other words....perfect!

-- Stinger

Sure is very nice.

I called my favorite RadioShack "associate" last night and asked her to find
another one for me.

Now I've got to find a place that'll make the enclosures - in new apartment
don't have any access to any tools at all - (our son+wife on the chicken farm
down in Brookhaven are getting a great deal from our "have to get rid of").

Gray Shockley
However, I may have to, pretty much, give
up on shortwave - no access to the outside
from here (old hotel from the 1930s and
the windows don't open) Durn!!

Old January 22nd 04, 02:53 AM
RHF

STARMAN,

"Has anyone found a good replacement speaker for the OEM
one in the R75? What size is the original one?"

NOTE: The Icom IC-R75's 'exterior' Speaker Grill is
very small and ONLY Measures 1.75" Wide by 2.25" High.

My "Guess-A-Mate" is the Speaker is basic 1.5" Round.

! ! ! SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ! ! !

Well, NOT a Replacement 'internal' Speaker but here is a
List of the 'better' low cost External Speakers.

READ Message #4360 in the "Icom IC-R75" eGroup on YAHOO !

SPEAKERS: External Speakers for the ICOM IC-R75

Most Often Recommended External Speakers for the Icom IC-R75.
That were Suggested as working well with the Icom IC-R75 by
the Members of the YAHOO eGroup.

hth ~ RHF
..
..
= = = starman
= = = wrote in message ...
Howard wrote:

DX,
While not a boatanchor owner I will share what I found when needing an
external speaker for an R75 (yes, with an R75 an external speaker is a
MUST). Tried a 4" RatShack widerange speaker (Optimus XTS 3, 7 watt
max) and it was okay; definitely enough powerr to drive and it gave
sufficient volume & clarity, mostly mid-range with moderately more
bass response than treble. Then for kicks hooked to a KLH 911 (5 inch
woofer, 1 inch tweeter, 100 watt max) and WOW! Yes, the speaker is
capable of handling much more power than the R75 offers but there was
sufficient power to drive it without having to crank up the audio.
The sound clarity was greatly improved and unless the bands are really
noisy most folks who hear it don't realize they're listening to
shortwave - "Naah, it sounds to good to come from far away" 8-} Do
keep in mind that the answer to this will vary depending on the
speaker; some just plain like to "suck watts" in order to get their
cones moving.

Old January 22nd 04, 03:18 AM
starman

NOTE: The Icom IC-R75's 'exterior' Speaker Grill is
very small and ONLY Measures 1.75" Wide by 2.25" High.
READ Message #4360 in the "Icom IC-R75" eGroup on YAHOO !

I would be tempted to modify the R75 speaker grill and install a better
internal speaker.

Old January 22nd 04, 04:43 AM
Tony Meloche

RHF wrote:

STARMAN,

"Has anyone found a good replacement speaker for the OEM
one in the R75? What size is the original one?"

NOTE: The Icom IC-R75's 'exterior' Speaker Grill is
very small and ONLY Measures 1.75" Wide by 2.25" High.

My "Guess-A-Mate" is the Speaker is basic 1.5" Round.

! ! ! SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ! ! !

Well, NOT a Replacement 'internal' Speaker but here is a
List of the 'better' low cost External Speakers.

READ Message #4360 in the "Icom IC-R75" eGroup on YAHOO !

SPEAKERS: External Speakers for the ICOM IC-R75

Most Often Recommended External Speakers for the Icom IC-R75.
That were Suggested as working well with the Icom IC-R75 by
the Members of the YAHOO eGroup.

hth ~ RHF

The first one on their list is the one I use. Inexpensive,
well-made, effective. And as they point out, it looks like it came with
the Icom - a perfect match.

Tony

Old January 22nd 04, 12:00 PM
RHF

STARMAN,

NP2 = Not Practical -and/or- Not Possible

Due to the Icom IC-R75's Layout and Construction the
(built-in) Internal 1.5" Speaker: Is What It Is [.]

FWIW: A Modification that 'added' an Internal Speaker
under the Top Cover may be possible and practical.

But, the 'better' "Option" with the Icom IC-R75 is
simply using an External Speaker that's style and
color matches the appearance of the Icom IC-R75.

jm2cw ~ RHF
..
..
= = = starman

Old January 22nd 04, 12:58 PM
RHF

DX Luver,

"Hopefully it sounds sweet."

Promoted on the eHAM.Com WebSite
GoTo= http://www.eham.net/

"The 'SOUNDS SWEET' Communications speakers maximize intelligibility
from your transceiver, receiver or portable by reproducing only the
communications voice and shortwave music frequencies coming from your
SSB, AM or FM communication or shortwave radio."
GoTo= http://www.soundssweet.com/
The Sounds Sweet ia a 'little' "Pricey" at $99 +S&H.

I currently use on with my Kenwood R-5000
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kenwood-r5000/
Oh It... sounds sweet, Sounds Sweet. SOUNDS SWEET !

jm2cw ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Dxluver)

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
Comprehensive list of tube base types? Simon Boatanchors 5 January 28th 04 01:01 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM