Old January 24th 04, 07:17 PM
Frank Dresser

"Stinger" wrote in message
Ah, Frank, I'll bet you haven't yet purchased a vehicle that has XM

radio
already installed! That's how everybody's getting hooked. Trust

me --
you'll try it out and love it.

You will be assimillated. Resistance is futile....

;^)

-- Stinger

Resistance is lucrative. Just think of all the money I've saved by
never subscribing to cable TV.

Frank Dresser

Old January 24th 04, 07:18 PM
RHF

DR,

Exactly, the Domestic Role that Shortwave could have performed
in the USA has been Overcome By Events (Technology and Big Money).

"XM" (GMC and others) and "Sirius" (Ford , Chrysler and others):
Are Heavily Marketing XM and Sirius Satellite Radios and
Discounted Service Packages as an Intrinsic Part of their Cars
and Trucks Audio Systems. A Long Term Service Package can be
included in the Sales Price of the Vehicle (Painless Purchase).
Nation Wide and Someday World Wide Marketing is All Part of the
'future' Total Satellite Radio Scheme; just like 'commercial free'
Cable TV and DSS. Ha Ha Ha - Oh No - Not Again !

Considering the the 'turnover' (Product Cycle) of Cars and Trucks;
and the 'natural evolution' (Three Product Cycles) of common
everyday acceptance by customers of Satellite Radio should occur
within Nine (9) to Fifteen (15) Years.

Bye Bye SHORTWAVE - It's Nothing Personal - Its Just Business ~ RHF
..
..
= = = David
= = = wrote in message . ..

So what is Sirius and XM?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:02:49 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
. com...
JW,

While GM could promote its Cars and Trucks "Nation Wide" on 'one'
Single Powerful Shortwave Station. (NOTE: It does not.)

GM does promote its Cars and Trucks "Nation Wide" on hundreds
of 'local' AM/FM Stations. Plus 'local' GM Dealers also use
local AM/FM Stations to promote GM Cars and Trucks.

The current AM/FM/TV Station Broadcast Model helps to build
local business and churn more money within the local economy.

All Politics are Local and our US Representatives and US Senators
plus our State and Local Elected Representatives are interested
in a thriving "Local Economy." The FCC Does What Congress Permits.

The National Economy is actual Hundreds of Regional Economies
make up of Hundreds of 'local' Economies.

WHATS GOOD FOR BUSINESS IS GOOD FOR AM/FM/TV BROADCASTING IN THE USA

[.]

Non-Domestic [Nation Wide] Shortwave Broadcasting 'exists' to
fill a limited business (social) need.

If the FCC did not WANT (allow) [Nation Wide] Non-Domestic Shortwave
Broadcasting then Dr Gene Scott and many others would be off the air.

With the Advent of Domestic XM and Sirius 'direct' Satellite Radio
Broadcasting; over time more domestic "Nation Wide" Broadcasting
will develop for that media.

TBL: Non-Domestic [Nation Wide] Shortwave Broadcasting in Ten (10)
to Fifty (50) Years will be what it is Today a Business Operating
within its Limited Market.

~ RHF
.

GM promotes it's cars nationwide on nationwide TV programming.

Car ads on radio are usually sponsored by a dealer or a dealer's
association.

There isn't much nationwide programming on radio anymore. When there
was, there was also nationwide radio advertising.

I don't see how much of this resulted from any deliberate government
policy.

Frank Dresser

Old January 24th 04, 07:58 PM
David

Yeah, but you spoke as though all national radio is in the past.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:02:18 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .
So what is Sirius and XM?

Right now, sattelite radio only has a small fraction of the nationwide
influence that the networks used to have.

Frank Dresser

Old January 25th 04, 12:48 AM
Frank Dresser

"David" wrote in message
Yeah, but you spoke as though all national radio is in the past.

In the context of nationwide radio advertising. But I'm not real
familiar with sattelite radio. So, how much nationwide advertising is
on sattelite radio?

Frank Dresser

Old January 25th 04, 02:03 AM
Frank Dresser

"Leonard Martin" wrote in message
t...

Boy, you shure don't know liberals! A major aspect of the history of
American liberalism has been the fight against censorship.

:Liberals are hardly immune from the urge to censor. Some feminists
have joined up with the Christian fundamentalists in the war on porn.
There's "Hate Speech" codes to spare delicate minority feelings. Some
civil rights orginizations want to keep books such as "Huck Finn" and
"To Kill a Mockingbird" off of school reading lists. The old fairness
doctrine had a few friends, and they were mostly Democrats. To be fair,
there are liberals on both sides of each fight.

As regards Clear
Channel running American airwaves, that's the last thing we liberals

want.
Liberals value diversity of voices and localism, which Clear Channel

is
destroying.

Was there ever much diversity in standard broadcast radio? I can't
remember a time that there wasn't only a few popular formats. Radio has
always been infested with me-too programming.

Perhaps you've gotten our dislike of right-wing talk radio, with its
content that always, ultimately, advances the economic interests of

the
wealthy station owners who choose it alone to broadcast, confused with
censorship

I haven't heard any of the talk show hosts calling for a ban on
sattelite radio. Or limiting internet access, which would help
broadcast radio a bit. Most of them thought the RIAA went way overboard
in it's fight on file sharing, even though file sharing could be seen as
a threat to established radio.

However, most of the talk show hosts talk Republican. Limbaugh has alot
of sucess with it, so the others copy.

On the other hand, NPR lobbied against the low power community radio
proposal.

. Liberals don't like to see extreme concentrations of power
anywhere, especially in the hands of wealthy people, who have shown

ever
since the 1930s that they, unlike you, know that their economic

interest
are almost invariably opposed to those of the mass of poorer people.

Some liberals aren't much bothered by extreme concentrations of power.
Plenty of 'em thought Uncle Joe Stalin was on the right track back in
the 30s. I guess Fidel still has a few friends on the looney fringe.

And
they have never been hesitant to advance those interests, whatever it

costs
the rest of us (e.g., globalism leading to endless layoffs).

Liberal Leonard

Well, just to get back to shortwave, leftists make perfectly fine
globalists. It was Maurice Strong who kicked RFPI off the University
for Peace's property.

Frank Dresser

Old January 25th 04, 02:05 AM
Frank Dresser

"CW" wrote in message
For the pay services, none. Why would anyone pay for commercials?

I don't know. I don't!

Frank Dresser

Old January 25th 04, 12:28 PM
RHF

CW,

Look at the Percentage of US Household that have Cable TV or DSS-TV.

All of them Pay-To-See Commercials along with
Multi-Channel - E X P A N D E D - Programming Choices.

jm2cw ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "CW"

Old January 25th 04, 03:48 PM
David

As of 1 February, XM will have about 25 channels with commercials (all
N/T), Sirius will have a few over 30. Neither has commercials on the
music channels.

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:48:14 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

.. .

Old January 25th 04, 05:39 PM
CW

They get something in addition to the same tired horse**** that people are
generally looking for on radio. Play the top 40 and their satisfied. The
difference between one station that plays the same thing over and over as
apposed to the next station that plays the same thing over and over is the
amount of extraneous BS you have to put up with.

om...

"David" wrote in message
Yeah, but you spoke as though all national radio is in the past.

In the context of nationwide radio advertising. But I'm not real
familiar with sattelite radio. So, how much nationwide advertising is
on sattelite radio?

Frank Dresser

Has shortwave got a future? Mike Terry Broadcasting 25 November 27th 04 11:46 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM