Old February 7th 04, 01:53 AM

Default '91 escort car radio won't go above 1600khz.

Hi,
Our '91 escort's digital AM tuner won't go above 1600khz. Is there a
way to make it to tune above 1600khz?

Thanks for any help.
Old February 7th 04, 01:55 AM
Brenda Ann

"T" wrote in message
m...
Hi,
Our '91 escort's digital AM tuner won't go above 1600khz. Is there a
way to make it to tune above 1600khz?

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like they put an old stock radio in there.. haven't seen a car radio
since about 1984 or so that didn't have the Xband on it. Only way to fix the
problem is to replace the radio, lots of them that will fit that car
available cheap on ebay..

Old February 7th 04, 02:01 AM
Frank Dresser

"T" wrote in message
m...
Hi,
Our '91 escort's digital AM tuner won't go above 1600khz. Is there a
way to make it to tune above 1600khz?

Thanks for any help.

The easiest way is to swap it with a newer radio. They aren't very
expensive at junkyards.

Frank Dresser

Old February 7th 04, 03:42 PM
Maximus

You might be able to fudge the tuning a bit by playing with the "cans",
turning the slugs inside with a scewdriver a bit one way or the other. 1700
is not that far above 1600. I used to do that with transistor radios when I
was a kid. The same is true for the lower end around 530 where you might
also find the Highway Advisory Radio stations.

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
B Banton wrote:

On 6 Feb 2004 17:53:47 -0800, (T) wrote:

Hi,
Our '91 escort's digital AM tuner won't go above 1600khz. Is there a
way to make it to tune above 1600khz?

Thanks for any help.

I believe the escort radios were limited to 1600khz. This, I am told,
is to prevent them from tuning in the traffic radio stations you
sometimes see on the highway. The reasoning is that the driver would
find out that there was massive traffic ahead, realize they would have
to spend that stopped time in a '91 escort and then proceed to kill
themselves. I think it worked. That's why you're here asking this
question. Thanks FORD.

Regards

I have a 92 Tempo, but I never thought to check to see if the radio went
above 1600 khz. I think the same radio was used in all Fords of that era
except the Taurus/Sable, which had radio controls next to the instrument
panel. I only drive a Ford because I bought it from the state motor pool
so I knew it had been maintained properly, and all they had at the
auction were Fords. I replaced the radiator, brakes, starter solenoid
and a few minor things and it runs great-rare for a Ford of that era.

Old February 7th 04, 10:12 PM
Beloved Leader

B Banton wrote in message . ..
On 6 Feb 2004 17:53:47 -0800, (T) wrote:

Hi,
Our '91 escort's digital AM tuner won't go above 1600khz. Is there a
way to make it to tune above 1600khz?

Thanks for any help.

... The reasoning is that the driver would
find out that there was massive traffic ahead, realize they would have
to spend that stopped time in a '91 escort and then proceed to kill
themselves. I think it worked.

Hahahaha. But seriously, as Frank Dresser said, car radios aren't
expensive at junkyards. They also show up frequently at yard sales and
thrift stores.

What you need to know is which model radios interchange with the one
currently in your car. The parts counter at your friendly local Ford
dealer may have this information. Junkyards keep track of which parts
interchange to which cars by means of the Hollander Manual. It will
tell you, for example, that the same rear window that is on a 1977
Oldsmobile will replace a broken one on a 1973 Chevrolet.

The nomenclature by which Ford parts are numbered is not difficult to
understand. The first character denotes the decade in which the part
first appeared. "A" is for the 1940s. "B" is for the 1950w. "C" is for
the 1960s. "D" is for the 1970s. "E" is for the 1980s. "F" is for the
1990s. The next character tells you the year in which the part was
first used. "C7" would indicate that a part first appeared in 1967.
The third character tells you the series of cars in which the part was
used. "A" is for full size. Thus a "C7A" part would have been used in
a full-size 1967 Ford.

at least, that's the way parts used to be numbered. It's been nearly a
decade since I bought Ford parts, so if things have changed since
then, I wouldn't know.

It could be the case that the same model radio used in a 1985 Escort
would fit a 1191 Escort. Or, it could be the case that the radio from
a 1997 could be retrofitted into a 1991. I don't follow Escorts, so I
don't know. Again, the parts counter could tell you that. I always
listened to the guys (OK, persons) at the parts counter. They can be
miracle workers.

Best wishes.
Old February 7th 04, 11:02 PM

"Maximus" wrote in message thlink.net...
You might be able to fudge the tuning a bit by playing with the "cans",
turning the slugs inside with a scewdriver a bit one way or the other. 1700
is not that far above 1600. I used to do that with transistor radios when I
was a kid. The same is true for the lower end around 530 where you might
also find the Highway Advisory Radio stations.

Would this still work if the tuner is digital? It has buttons to tune
to stations, not a analog dial.

Thanks.
Old February 8th 04, 12:38 AM
Frank Dresser

"Beloved Leader" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

at least, that's the way parts used to be numbered. It's been nearly a
decade since I bought Ford parts, so if things have changed since
then, I wouldn't know.

It could be the case that the same model radio used in a 1985 Escort
would fit a 1191 Escort. Or, it could be the case that the radio from
a 1997 could be retrofitted into a 1991. I don't follow Escorts, so I
don't know. Again, the parts counter could tell you that. I always
listened to the guys (OK, persons) at the parts counter. They can be
miracle workers.

Best wishes.

Everything you say is correct, but I think the most practical way to
pick a car radio at a junkyard is to take it in and match the mountings
and wire connectors with the original radio.

Getting the original radio out of the car might be harder than finding a
match. If getting the radio out doesn't seem obvious, check the public
library for a book with a blow up diagram of the dash area. Nearly
every public library has auto service literature.

It might be wise to change the dial light bulbs while the radio is out.
Ford used bulbs to illuminate the backside of the LCD display back then.

Checking Ford's part number for the year is a good tip. I don't
remember the exact year the AM extended band was approved, but I think
it was around 93 or so. So Ford's part number for a 93 radio would
start with F3.

Last time I bought a car radio with a tape player at a junkyard it was
$15. Could be anything nowdays.

Be sure you can exchange the radio or get your money back if it doesn't
do what you want it to do.

Frank Dresser

Old February 9th 04, 02:00 AM
RHF

"T",

Try taking a look on for a replacement radio eBay.

I got an Infinity Gold AM/FM Cassette (AM Stereo & FM Stereo)
for for my 1995 Jeep GCL on eBay for $50 in As New Condition.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Frank Dresser"