Old February 8th 04, 01:54 AM
N8KDV

tommyknocker wrote:

Maximus wrote:

I remember something in online news about unrest there about Aristide. He
was bad news from the beginning and our government was involved in making
sure he got to power. We may regret that if these guys are leftists. Haiti
is one of the most miserable and poorest places on earth, so they are ripe
for any change that looks promising. We keep turning back people trying to
get to the USA on rafts etc.

Aristide is a Marxist. I do remember hearing years ago about a coup in
Haiti and how US troops reseated Aristide by force, something we're
gonna regret when he's overthrown since we don't have any troops to
spare to calm the place down.

Could you please post the UTC time and frequency ? I'd like to try to listen
myself . Thanks

My usual sources are Radio Exterior de Espana and Radio Netherlands.
Spain usually has more news about the Americas. They are on at 0000 on
6055-their only English tx to NAm. RN's website is rnw.nl, so look there
for freqs and times. "REE" was referring to Spain.

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
I heard last night (on SW) that rebels have "captured" the city of
Gonaives, Haiti's fourth largest (and the place where Haiti's
independence was declared 200 years ago). REE said that the rebels were
close to taking control of Cap Haitien (sp?), Haiti's second largest
city, as well. It looks like Aristide is going down. Has anybody heard
anything more today? (I haven't been near my radio yet today.)

At least in 2002 Radio 4VEH still had a shortwave license, but no equipment, they
were concentrating on MW and FM.

Still haven't found out when they went off SW yet though.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old February 8th 04, 02:00 AM
N8KDV

N8KDV wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

Maximus wrote:

[...]

I just looked and saw I QSL'd Radio 4VEH almost 22 years ago... That's starting to
seem like a very,very long time ago.

Old February 8th 04, 03:11 AM
Diverd4777

In article , N8KDV
writes:

That place was a total mess when I was in Port-au-Prince in the '70's.
Absolute poverty. I doubt if it's ever gotten better.

I had an interview on Thursday with someone originally from Hati;
He says its a pretty sorry place right now..
Old February 8th 04, 03:16 AM
N8KDV

Diverd4777 wrote:

In article , N8KDV
writes:

That place was a total mess when I was in Port-au-Prince in the '70's.
Absolute poverty. I doubt if it's ever gotten better.

I had an interview on Thursday with someone originally from Hati;
He says its a pretty sorry place right now..

Utter sadness when I think about it. The other side of the island (Hispaniola) in
the Dominican Republic is much much better. The contrast was astonishing.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old February 8th 04, 03:22 AM
N8KDV

tommyknocker wrote:

N8KDV wrote:

N8KDV wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

Maximus wrote:

[...]

I'm 29 years old. (You didn't want to know that, did you? )

No problem! We all start somewhere.

Old February 8th 04, 03:23 AM
tommyknocker

N8KDV wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

Maximus wrote:

[...]

You might wish to try BBC 15190 in the mornings, they carry a lot of Caribbean
news around 1200 or so, perhaps earlier.

1200 is the middle of the night here in California, 4 am local time I
think. So that won't do any good.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old February 8th 04, 03:24 AM
N8KDV

tommyknocker wrote:

N8KDV wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

Maximus wrote:

[...]

Yeah, probably not, no propagation. You might want to check the BBC's site for their
Caribbean service to see what might be available to you at some later time.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old February 8th 04, 03:53 AM
tommyknocker

N8KDV wrote:

Diverd4777 wrote:

In article , N8KDV
writes:

That place was a total mess when I was in Port-au-Prince in the '70's.
Absolute poverty. I doubt if it's ever gotten better.

I had an interview on Thursday with someone originally from Hati;
He says its a pretty sorry place right now..

Utter sadness when I think about it. The other side of the island (Hispaniola) in
the Dominican Republic is much much better. The contrast was astonishing.

I posted a rant under this thread on why that is. Basically, it's
because the slaves were only able to hold onto half the island; the
French recaptured the other half. It always seemed to me that once the
slaves rebelled and threw off their white masters, they didn't want to
toil the land that they had so recently been tied to. An understandable
impulse-slaves on Hispaniola under the French were treated much worse
than slaves in the US ever were-but one that led to inescapable
wretchedness. The same thing is happening in Zimbabwe where Mugabe's
goons ran the whites off the land-the people who got the land didn't
want to work it, so the last I heard food shortages are getting
progressively worse.

Old February 8th 04, 03:55 AM
N8KDV

tommyknocker wrote:

N8KDV wrote:

Diverd4777 wrote:

In article , N8KDV
writes:

[...]

Heard the same here about Zimbabwe, but even if Mugabe gets ousted, I doubt if things
will change very quickly, the die has been cast, and those who once worked the land
have fled.

It will be difficult to lure them back, and to attract investment into the country.

That has been the legacy of the whole of Africa for some time.