Old February 16th 04, 02:31 AM
Pirate Bill

Default Grundig Mini World 100

While browsing through Radio Shack last week I found a Grundig Mini 100 PE
and decided it would make a nice little radio to possibly pick up some of
the super strong SW stations and maybe AM and FM locally here while out for
my daily walks....To break the boredom at times so to speak!

Ive used it early in the mornings here in Kentucky and tuned a lot of the
usual powerhouses around the US in and then a bit later found
Russia....Australia....and quite a few other west European nations all on
the stock pull out antenna! This 29$ radio is a blast! I handled a bit of
overload at times by simply pushing in the antenna ....I still recieved
Australia loud and clear with only a third (About 6 inches) of the antenna
pulled out.

I own a pair of RX-340's from Ten Tec...a Yaesu FT1000D....A pair of
Icom -718's and a pair of Icom R-75's and have miles of wire up.

I've had more fun with this little radio than all the others put together in
the last few months! This would be a great radio for a kid too!

Bill

Old February 16th 04, 05:11 PM
AbbN

Hi,

When I got mine I too was quite shocked by what it could do, even in my
apartment. Although I have a DX-398, Grundig 400PE and Sat-800, and some day
one or two of those will go (I'm *considering* getting rid of my DX-398
since I hardly ever use it, preferably here in Canada), I doubt if I'll
ever get rid of the 100PE.
--
Have Fun
Abb N

Old February 16th 04, 11:40 PM
snow

How does the Mini World 100 compare to other cheap analogs? I have tried
several cheap analogs and I must say the 100 is the best of the lot so far.
But, the 100 is nowhere in the same league of a Grundig digital SW radio.

Old February 17th 04, 05:24 AM
Tom Welch

I have a new Grundig Mini World 200
from Restoration Hardware website that
is great on FM and fun on shortwave
channels. The Radio Intel website
did a review of the Mini World 200
about a month ago, so check it out.

***********************************
* Tom Welch *
* HP Pavilion, Real Player, *
* Henry Kloss Model One Radio, *
* Kaito 1102, Sony SRF-59, *
* Sangean DT-200V, Grundig Mini *
* World 200, Koss SportaPro *
***********************************

Old February 17th 04, 02:00 PM
Pierre L

I have a Mini World 100 and a WRX911 too, and I would have to say that the
WRX911 is the better enthusiast's radio. But there are trade-offs. The
Grundig is more shirt-pocketable, and it offers stereo FM through
headphones. Personally, I much prefer the WRX911 for shortwave listening.
Pierre

ink.net...

Old February 17th 04, 02:53 PM
Jim Hackett

You're right. For M.W. I think the mini100 is better as the antenna is
situated better when radio is in your pocket. When the WRX911 is in your
shirt pocket, the radio and antenna are "sideways". For S.W., the WRX911 is
the "clear" winner...

news

Old February 17th 04, 09:21 PM
Fred Burgess

[...]

Though I have a Realistic dx390, and a Grundig 300PE, I bought a 100PE
to carry in my pocket. It is a neat little radio for its price. The
antenna is okay, and I hear the powerhouses quite well. I also hooked
up a wire antenna to it, by using a simple alligator clip. I was able
to DX suprisingly well. The only big problem with it (at least with
mine) Is the SW1 band is a whopping 900Khz off,for example, I will
hear WWV 5000 Khz on 5900 Khz approx. I returned the radio, and the
second one I received has the same problem.
Fred Burgess
Old February 17th 04, 10:56 PM
Mike S.

In article . net,
Jim Hackett wrote:

"snow" wrote in message
[...]

Look at the Tecsun R9700 and R9702. They are both dual-conversion; the
latter with digital readout; and can be had from various eBay sellers for
$25 or so from time to time.

Old February 17th 04, 11:16 PM
KEN8038

You're right. For M.W. I think the mini100 is better as the antenna is
situated better when radio is in your pocket. When the WRX911 is in your
shirt pocket, the radio and antenna are "sideways".

My main problem with the mini 100 is that I WISH the dial was laid out
sideways. Especially on MW the scale is way too cramped for easy bandscanning.
BTW, last I looked, the mini100 was on sale at J&R for $19. At that price, it's
an absolute bargain! ---Ken

YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM
"THE WORLD MADE YOU NUMBER ONE AND NOW IT'S TIME TO GIVE BACK TO THE WORLD" White Bufallo Shortwave 16 November 1st 03 04:30 AM
Grundig Mini 300 - new model Bill McMillan Shortwave 6 October 29th 03 07:24 PM